Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk AC2100 2.4ghz channel devices won't connect

listedguru
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk AC2100 2.4ghz channel devices won't connect

I've been using this router for the last several years with very few issues. A few days ago I noticed a printer I occasionally print to via wifi wouldn't work (it connects to my 2.4GHz network).Also the app for my smart thermostat quit working about the same time (it also will only connect to 2.4GHz). Everything else that I have on my 5GHz network is still working great. 

To be honest I'm not sure if I've ever upgraded the firmware on this as I never did on my previous router. I tend to be the kind of if it ain't broke type of person, lol. Anyway I just logged into my router and here are the stats I see:

Firmware Version: V1.2.0.26_1.01

2.4GHz is on channel 11

Any ideas on what's going on here and suggestions on how to fix it. Maybe I should try and upgrade the firmware first if the current version of firmware for this router is working well (and bug free)? I do live in a large subdivision with close neighbors on both sides of me. Maybe one of them changed something in their setup and the 2.4GHz channel I'm on (channel 11) has become overly crowded? Not sure how I would check any of this?

Open to any and all ideas and suggestions:)

Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC2100 2.4ghz channel devices won't connect

@listedguru wrote:

I've been using this router for the last several years with very few issues. A few days ago I noticed a printer I occasionally print to via wifi wouldn't work (it connects to my 2.4GHz network).Also the app for my smart thermostat quit working about the same time (it also will only connect to 2.4GHz). Everything else that I have on my 5GHz network is still working great. 

To be honest I'm not sure if I've ever upgraded the firmware on this as I never did on my previous router. I tend to be the kind of if it ain't broke type of person, lol. Anyway I just logged into my router and here are the stats I see:

Firmware Version: V1.2.0.26_1.01

2.4GHz is on channel 11

Any ideas on what's going on here and suggestions on how to fix it. Maybe I should try and upgrade the firmware first if the current version of firmware for this router is working well (and bug free)? I do live in a large subdivision with close neighbors on both sides of me. Maybe one of them changed something in their setup and the 2.4GHz channel I'm on (channel 11) has become overly crowded? Not sure how I would check any of this?

Open to any and all ideas and suggestions:)

You are a dozen or more firmware versions behind.  The most recent is 1.0.2.92.  You should update.  Recommend the manual method using a real computer with a web browser connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.  Details here:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

You may not be able to come forward all the versions at one time.  If you have a problem, do a firmware default reset and come forward a third of the way then repeat.  If you do not have the option of a direct Ethernet connection to the router, a Wi-Fi connection may work.

Message 2 of 4
listedguru
Tutor

Okay I will give this a shot when the house and the network here are quiet in case something goes haywire. If I do run into problems how do I execute a firmware default reset?

Also once the firmware is updated do I have to make any changes in the router settings or will the router save my info like my network names and the channels that I have the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks on, etc?

Thanks again I really appreciate all the help:)

Message 3 of 4
Kitsap
Master

@listedguru wrote:

Okay I will give this a shot when the house and the network here are quiet in case something goes haywire. If I do run into problems how do I execute a firmware default reset?

Also once the firmware is updated do I have to make any changes in the router settings or will the router save my info like my network names and the channels that I have the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks on, etc?

Thanks again I really appreciate all the help:)

First step is to backup your configuration settings.  Add information to the file name so you can tell what firmware version was installed when the backup was saved.

If you have to update the firmware in more than one group of versions, you should save a configuration backup with each different version of firmware you install.   Simply best practice to avoid potential trouble.

Here are the details:  https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

A firmware default reset (factory reset) is accomplished using the recessed button on the back of your router.  Here are the details:  https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Your existing settings should come with you as you update the firmware.  Should is a key operative as you are jumping a number of firmware versions.

When you are updating this number of firmware versions, after the last one the recommendation would be to perform a firmware default reset and configure the router from scratch.  Save a backup configuration first.  Step through the user interface pages and take notes or save screen snips that indicate the section they came from.

Overall this is not a task for a few minutes time.  Your firmware is significantly out of date.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7