Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R6700v3 Router troubleshooting

DRESTL
Aspirant

Netgear R6700v3 Router troubleshooting

My router seems to reset each 48 hours.  I have troubleshooted my modem, with no issues there.   

Each 48 hours I have to reset (power toggle) the router.  You could set your watch to the times they are so close.

Causes?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
DRESTL
Aspirant

A quick update. so far so good. If the 48-hour repeating of the disconnection has been disrupted or eliminated by the router reset, I do not know at this point.

A quick question though, would you suggest that I disable auto updates a firmware on the router? In the Netgear community I've seen several reports of issues with new firmware upgrades.

As always, I appreciate your help. I'm going to keep this thread going until some time passes and I'm assured that the problem is solved.

Dan

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 26

All Replies

Greetings,

Big difference between power cycling and resetting?

Which is it?  We suspect you are simply power cycling which is restoring internet connectivity?

Who is the ISP?

What hardware is in font of your Nighthawk? (modem / router, combo)?

How is this device configured (if applicable)?

What FW is the R6700v3 running?

If not the stock firmware, how was the device updated?

If you perform a factory reset, perform set up making only the changes needed to connect, does the intenrt remain stable and connected?

Have you tried an earlier / later version of FW?

What are those results?

Message 2 of 26
plemans
Guru

which firmware version are you on?

Message 3 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

V1.0.4.84_10.0.58
Message 4 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

I am simply power recycling, not doing a factory reset.

My ISP is Spectrum internet

FW is V1.0.4.84_10.0.58 and I have not tried an earlier version of the firmware.

I'm making changes to the settings one at a time, and today I turned off the automatic updates, in case they were causing the issue.

Message 5 of 26
plemans
Guru

@DRESTL wrote:

I am simply power recycling, not doing a factory reset.-----trying a reset isn't a bad start. 

My ISP is Spectrum internet------wth what modem? 

FW is V1.0.4.84_10.0.58 and I have not tried an earlier version of the firmware.------a downgrade is sometimes worth trying after you've tried the factory reset. 

I'm making changes to the settings one at a time, and today I turned off the automatic updates, in case they were causing the issue.

Message 6 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

Unfortunately my Modem doesnt show a manufacturer... The Model Number apparently is E31U2V1.  

i'm trying to accomplish this in stages, so I can keep track of single changes, rather than guess at which multiple stage worked or did not.

I really appreciate your help.  

Dan

Message 7 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

Message 8 of 26
plemans
Guru

So start with the factory reset. If that doesn't help. 

Then try installing firmware version 1.0.3.66, factory reset again, and manually install. (not from backup)

Message 9 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

Will do.   Thanks again.  I'll let you know how it turns out

Message 10 of 26

@DRESTL wrote:

Unfortunately my Modem doesnt show a manufacturer... The Model Number apparently is E31U2V1.  

Does it have a row of LAN ports somewhere? Does it do wifi?

Message 11 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

It does have two ethernet ports in the back, I have no idea if it does Wi-Fi or not.
Message 12 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

"Then try installing firmware version 1.0.3.66, factory reset again, and manually install. (not from backup)"

Here's a brief update and a quick question. I did the factory reset yesterday, and I suppose I'll wait 48 hours to see if that fixed the problem.

Regarding the above, can you clarify what you mean. I install the firmware, do the reset, and manually install.... but I don't understand what I have to manually install?

You have given me a whole lot of help and I really appreciate it. Best to you and stay safe.
Message 13 of 26

@DRESTL wrote:

Regarding the above, can you clarify what you mean. I install the firmware, do the reset, and manually install.... but I don't understand what I have to manually install?

Not sure what the "(not from backup)" you quite means.

The "manually install" advice is usually about installing the firmware. Most experienced users like to do that because automatic updates can go wrong, partly because they rely on being connected over the Internet to the Netgear update server. A more reliable approach is to download the firmware from the website and to follow the bit in the manual:

"Manually Upload Firmware to the Router"

The most common use of the term  (not from backup) usually comes after the phrase "manually configure the router".

This is because some people are tempted to reload a saved version of their previous settings, from a backup of their configuration file.

If you do that you run the risk that reloading old settings will bring bugs back from the dead.

Message 14 of 26

@DRESTL wrote:
It does have two ethernet ports in the back, I have no idea if it does Wi-Fi or not.

Oh dear, not conclusive.

The reason for asking is that if there is a bunch of Ethernet ports – usually four, sometimes more – it usually means that your modem is also a router. If that is the case then for an easy life you have to tweak the settings of the modem and router so that only one of them is doing the router job.

Just two ports could mean many things. I am not familiar with that sort of arrangement.

Google suggests that in reality, there is only one port with various phone sockets.

Configuring Spectrum's E31U2V1 : HomeNetworking

Message 15 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

I really doubt that it is a router.... I pick up no wifi signal.

Thanks,

Dan

Message 16 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

Thanks.  I've got it.

Dan

Message 17 of 26

@DRESTL wrote:

I really doubt that it is a router.... I pick up no wifi signal.

That is a far from reliable test. In fact, a complete red herring. Even a single LAN port guarantees nothing. It is just an indicator to look for.

A modem can cause issues even without wifi and LAN ports. I have a DM200 DSL modem that, by default, comes with router functions that you have to turn off to avoid clashes with a router.

That is why a proper model number and manual are the best guide.

Message 18 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

Thank you once again.   I'll contact my ISP and find out what brand of router I have and whether it contains wifi.

Dan

Message 19 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

I located my modem model

Hitron eMTA modem E31N2V1

Hitron Docsis 3.1 Voice Internet Cable Modem (Does not have built in wireless) E31N2V1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V6WXRB3?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Message 20 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

A quick update. so far so good. If the 48-hour repeating of the disconnection has been disrupted or eliminated by the router reset, I do not know at this point.

A quick question though, would you suggest that I disable auto updates a firmware on the router? In the Netgear community I've seen several reports of issues with new firmware upgrades.

As always, I appreciate your help. I'm going to keep this thread going until some time passes and I'm assured that the problem is solved.

Dan

Message 21 of 26
plemans
Guru

Depends. If you know updates have caused issues, I'd leave it disabled. When a new update comes out, its worth checking the forums to see how well its worked. 

Some device never have an issue, others (see the R7000) are nothing but issues. 

Message 22 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

Thanks again...

Message 23 of 26

@DRESTL wrote:

A lot of experienced users disable autoupdate. 

The main reason for this is that they like to download the new firmware and run the update manually with a wired connection.

Far too many accounts of "bricked" devices track back to an autoupdate. Manual updates are less likely to cause complaints,although this may be because these are done by experienced users.

An update works 99 times out of 100, perhaps better, an update over a live internet connection. But there is always the rare event when the connection goes down. A manual update will work even with no internet connection.

If you hang around here, you will get to know when new firmware lands. Or you can just do an occasional check. After all, after the initial hardware launch, when bug hunting is most active, the update frequency settles down. It is usually months between new versions.

Message 24 of 26
DRESTL
Aspirant

Thank you once again. That's good information. Since it's running right now, I'll just jump in the community now and again to see what's happening.
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7