Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R7200 Bricked

onebreathric
Aspirant

Netgear R7200 Bricked

Hi, I made the mistake of flashing my router with OpenWRT firmware, not being happy with the change (it worked, but didn't like it), and attempting to revert back to the stock firmware for my device. The install was interrupted and now my router is not accessible through the telnet portal.

I tried flashing through TFTP connection, but the Power LED stays solid orange while the output ethernet port to my computer blinks every 3sec (off) and approx 18sec (on). I tried the factory reset button for 30sec, and the power LED flashes, but does not recognize the output ethernet port to my computer. I've also tried resetting and turning the device on/off many, MANY times.

The TFTP command through the Command Prompt gives an error message of "Connect request failed". TFTP feature was enabled in the Control Panel. 

I also tried using Tftpd64, but this was idle for +30min, so I canceled the upload.

Any ideas on how to reset the router? Should I reset it and let it figure itself out, or turn it off/on and let it go for a while? Everything I'm finding online seems like the router should reboot within 20-30 seconds or less.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear R7200 Bricked

I'd check on the ddwrt forums. They might have their own recovery option. and if it was interrupted, it could still be running their firmware. 

Message 2 of 6
onebreathric
Aspirant

I'll check that out. Thank you
Message 3 of 6
labatt
Mentor

He said OpenWRT not DD-WRT, so going to DD-WRT is not the fix. OpenWRT would be the place, IMHO.

Message 4 of 6
onebreathric
Aspirant

Thank you. My problem is that the router is not fully powering on and not able to complete the factory reset. All instructions I've found online explain to either hold the reset button for 7 seconds (netgear) or 30 seconds (misc forums).

I was on the phone with Netgear yesterday where we tried to hold the reset button for 90 seconds and unplugged the power cord ever 30 sec intervals. This still didn't work.

I'm not confident that OpenWRT will be able to help since I can't get a TFTP connection to work at all. I have a saved draft of this post on their site as well, so maybe I'll send it and see what they think.

I already bought a new one off amazon and will probably start looking for someone to recycle this one.

Thanks again regardless of it not working out.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@labatt wrote:

He said OpenWRT not DD-WRT, so going to DD-WRT is not the fix. OpenWRT would be the place, IMHO.

Whoops, reading to fast. You're correct. 

Depending on what happened, you might have to serial port in to fix it. Again, that'd be on the forum with the firmware you had installed. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7