Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R7500 & R7500v2 need updated SSL Key in a firmware update

mediatrek
Virtuoso

Netgear R7500 & R7500v2 need updated SSL Key in a firmware update

No this is not a "feature request" posting, but another highlight of Netgear not being ontop of their own "active" (not EOL) product line.

The original Netgear R7500 and the revision R7500v2 need firmware updates that contain the updated SSL key from Qualcomm Atheros to allow owners to access database updates for the Dynamic QoS (QCA Streamboost-based).

Without this update, R7500 and R7500v2 owners can only update the QoS database file to the one dated April 2015. Owners can not get the database update that was issued by Qualcomm in August 2015 and the latest from December 2015; not to mention any other database updates coming.

The new SSL key was added starting in the v1.0.0.28 firmware for the January 2016 released R7800. At best, users know that Netgear is months behind on getting this out to it's users as the new keys I am told were issued in the second half of Summer 2015 and here we are less than a month from the first day of Spring 2016 (March 20th).

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Per engineering, just update the QoS database and there's no need for any FW update to correct the SSL key.

Can you guys confirm?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 16

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @mediatrek Thank you for the feedback. Let me pass this along to our engineers and see what they say.

I will update you as soon as I have a word.

Message 2 of 16
WASTEDYOUTH
Tutor

Is there any update on this? The Streamboost feature was by far the top reason I purchased this router. I can overlook the numerous other problems with the router if this could get resolved. I understand that most of the issues simply can't be fixed, but this one thing doesn't seem like such a hurdle. Can Netgear just throw us a bone on this one, please? I'm close to going with another Streamboost-featuring manufacturer just to get Streamboost data that's not a year out of date. It seems like Netgear had thrown the baby out with the bath water with this series of routers. Their decision, I guess, but my credit card company didn't throw out the $250 I invested in this thing. I mean, I get it. This thing is a lemon. But at least fix the stuff that can be fixed. Don't just leave us stranded. We're still here. Thanks.
Message 3 of 16
mediatrek
Virtuoso

At first I was told: “Based from our engineers response, they have decided to discontinue creating any future updates for the 2 model numbers (R7500v1 and v2).” What?? The v2 just started shipping to retailers in October 2015!!

Then a week later I was told: “It seems that we have a beta firmware that you could try.”

I followed up on where things… and nothing. For this QoS issue I reported basically all Netgear engineering has to do is get the new SSL key from Qualcomm and compile the firmware for release. Nothing else has to change for this issue. It should take no more than 20 minutes for a semi-incompetent low-level engineer to do. A 20 minute task takes 2 week for the Netgear engineers apparently??? Maybe they should have their engineering teams working here in North America instead of over in China? I know a number of capable people they could hire.

Message 4 of 16
WASTEDYOUTH
Tutor

That's a disturbing and ridiculous response. I can let the cessation of the v1 support slide, but, like you said, the v2 just released not long ago. Unbelievable. I actually had a positive experience with Netgear tech support when my first 7500 bricked. She was knowledgeable, easy to understand, and I had a replacement router in the mail either next day or second day. What you've been told is too much, however. I will cut my losses and look for another router that is actually supported and updated as promised. This was first Netgear product. It will also be my last.

Message 5 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Per engineering, just update the QoS database and there's no need for any FW update to correct the SSL key.

Can you guys confirm?

Message 6 of 16
mediatrek
Virtuoso

It took about a month by, it actually got done for once.

The QoS database is now up-to-date with version v3.0302.cloud-g8 (dated March 2, 2016) on my the two R7500v2 I have. Lets just hope Netgear stays on the ball with these Streamboost QoS updates from now on (as they were not). They usually get updated at least once every quarter if I am not mistaken by Qualcomm.

Message 7 of 16
Cstritt
Aspirant

I am new to this forum and have a couple of questions.  I bought my Netgear R7500v2 in November and it has worked fine, up until about a week ago that is. Now it keeps dropping the wireless connections and I am lucky if I get a 1 to 2 Mbps download speed from a 150 Mbps download network with Comcast. Will this update help with those problems?  Where can I find this Update?  Also, is it true Netgear is no longer supporting my router?!?!?!  The modem I am using is a Motorola Arris Model SB6141 capable of handling speeds of 343 Mbps. I am trying to download my UV movies and it is taking longer than it takes to watch the darn movie!

Thank you!

i just went into my router settings and saw that update was automatic. It apparently updated about the same time we started experiencing problems with our router. Any suggestions???

Message 8 of 16
avtella
Prodigy

The R7500v1 is EOL not the v2. As for you WiFi issues try downgrading the firmware.
Message 9 of 16
Cstritt
Aspirant

The router itself doesn't say anything about the version but when I log into the firmware via router login.com it states R7500v2.  That is why I believe I have the v2.  Am I correct in this assumption?

thank you for responding. I really do appreciate it.

Cstritt

Message 10 of 16
avtella
Prodigy

That would mean you have the v2.

Message 11 of 16
Cstritt
Aspirant

Thank you ever so much for all your help!

Message 12 of 16
mediatrek
Virtuoso

@Cstritt wrote:

... Now it keeps dropping the wireless connections and I am lucky if I get a 1 to 2 Mbps download speed from a 150 Mbps download network with Comcast. Will this update help with those problems?..

Updating the Dynamic QoS database file will not fix Wi-Fi issue(s). What wireless band do your devices connect to when they slow down? The 2.4GHz radio, the 5GHz radio, or both bands? I get massive slowdowns when my devices connect to the 5GHz radio. I have been working with Netgear support for over a month on this issue. It has been a week since I have heard back from them last.

Message 13 of 16
warbler
Guide

Message 14 of 16
Cstritt
Aspirant

I did hear back from Level 2 Tech Support, Val. He was most helpful and explained that the firmware update version 1.0.2.4 took care of the problems that others had when updating. He assured me that it would take care of the problems I was having. After updating, I haven't experienced any dropped wifi. Val also claimed that with the QoS enabled it would slow up my download speed a bit, which it does slow it up by about 3 to 8 Mbps, depending on which wifi item I am on ( tablet, iPad, or iPhone) and which band I am on (2.4 or 5 Ghz). Val was very patient and extremely helpful, nothing like the reviews I had read about their tech support. He also explains that the v2 is still being supported by Netgear, and that the first version of the Nighthawk 4 is the only one they are no longer supporting due to the numerous problems.  Thank you to everyone who replied to my initial post!

Message 15 of 16
avtella
Prodigy

Its probably due to the Quantenna (not to be mistaken for Qualcomm) 5Ghz chip which had issues with multiple clients and was unstable. Multiple router companies had issues with it in their products.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7