Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear X6 R8000 (AC3200) Speed test speed not being achieved in real world downloads

Cookae
Tutor

Netgear X6 R8000 (AC3200) Speed test speed not being achieved in real world downloads

So my I've been struggling with my internet speed for a while, I was paying for 350mbit and only getting 250 tested on speedtest.net and around 26-27MB/s on steam downloads. Kept using it in that state for a while as it was close enough to 350mbit for me not to care that much about it, recently I upgraded to 500mbit and the speed dropped to 240mbit on speedtest.net so I knew there defenetly was something wrong. So I connected my ethernet straight from the modem to my pc and I was getting 560mbit through that, I looked up the issue on these forums and the general suggestion was to factory reset, after doing that I started getting around 550mbit on speedtest.net but on steam and other platforms the maximum speed I can get is only 16mb/s which is very weird having the speeds so spread out, at first I thought I was saturating my ssd write speed but thats 500MB/s again I bypassed the netgear router and started a download and im getting speeds near 60MB/s. 

I'd love any suggestion and hope to get to the bottom of this and finally use the router's full potential.

Thanks

Firmware Version
V1.0.4.68_10.1.75

With QoS disabled

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Cookae
Tutor

Re: Netgear X6 R8000 (AC3200) Speed test speed not being achieved in real world downloads

A fix to this seems to be making the superhub in router mode, setting up dmz on the netgear ip (might be redundant), then setting the wireless AP in the netgear settings, I think the reason it broke last time was because the superhub in modem mode cant provide any information about the ip the netgear router needs to form an AP.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Cookae
Tutor

TL;DR: Getting full speed on speedtest.net but significantly lower speeds on any downloading platform. Compared to ISP supplied modem/router (Superhub 3)

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

The superhub is a modem/router combo device. 

Cascading routers can cause issues. 

Its called a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

And the superhub isn't known to be that easy to get into passthrough/modem only mode. 

Have you tried putting the netgears IP address into the superhubs DMZ?

Or putting the netgear in access point mode? 

Message 3 of 6
Cookae
Tutor

I've tried placing the router in wireless AP mode and that rendered it useless (ethernet connection to it displays no default gateway and it doesnt show any wireless networks) till I hard reset again, I've also tried placing the hub in modem mode and with that I cannot change DMZ settings. Still getting the same results but now peaking at 24mb/s instead of 16mb/s, something to note aswell when I try doing a speed test with a download going on It says 19mbit and around 20ms increased latency.

Also im not sure if it is a problem of a double nat as I never experienced any of the symptoms related such as difficulty with vpns, port forwarding, and accessing ssl websites.

Message 4 of 6
Cookae
Tutor

A fix to this seems to be making the superhub in router mode, setting up dmz on the netgear ip (might be redundant), then setting the wireless AP in the netgear settings, I think the reason it broke last time was because the superhub in modem mode cant provide any information about the ip the netgear router needs to form an AP.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Any AP mode configuration needs a upstream router for the AP mode device to work properly. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7