Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear nighthawk AC1900

vandervecken
Aspirant

Netgear nighthawk AC1900

I want to change the firmware on my modem/router but there is no update button. Model is AC1900. This is MY modem/router, not the ISP's. So shouldn't a button so I can update be visible to me? I am uploading a screenshot so you can see that there is no option to update my firmware. Let me stress again, this is MY modem/router, not the ISP's.

Message 1 of 5
Kitsap
Master

First of all, AC1900 is not a model number.  It is a speed.  Look at the tag on the router,  The model number most likely starts with a C for cable or D for DSL.

Although it is YOUR router, the ISP allows it to be connected to THEIR system.  When an ISP allows a router to be connected to THEIR system, THEY control the firmware.

If you care to continue, the model number of your router and the name of your ISP would be helpful.

Message 2 of 5
antinode
Guru

> Opera Snapshot_2021-04-18_120012_192.168.0.1.png

Cropping to exclude the actual model number did no one a favor.

> [...] this is MY modem/router, not the ISP's.

Doesn't matter.

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375

> [...] When an ISP allows a router to be connected to THEIR system,
> THEY control the firmware.

Not really.  First, you probably meant "modem", not "router".  Even
in a DOCSIS environment, after the modem, the user can connect any
router he wants.  (Although with a combined modem+router, connecting
anything immediately after the modem can be difficult.)

Second, a DOCSIS (typically cable-TV) ISP controls the firmware of
connected devices; a DSL ISP generally does not.

Message 3 of 5
vandervecken
Aspirant

Since your answer is so ridiculously condescending and snotty, why would i want any help from you? You are one nasty piece of work to someone who just asked for some help. Ypou may know something about modems and routers, but you don't know anything about being an adult among adults.

@Kitsap wrote:

First of all, AC1900 is not a model number.  It is a speed.  Look at the tag on the router,  The model number most likely starts with a C for cable or D for DSL.

Although it is YOUR router, the ISP allows it to be connected to THEIR system.  When an ISP allows a router to be connected to THEIR system, THEY control the firmware.

If you care to continue, the model number of your router and the name of your ISP would be helpful.

Is there anyone ehre who has a bit of manners, or are they all childlike boors like you?

Message 4 of 5
vandervecken
Aspirant

I didn't crop to exlude the model number. I wasn't even considering the model number when I took the shot.

Jeeze I will NEVER ask for help here again. None of you has an ounce of simple, normal courtesy in you. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7