Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear's Nighthawl R7000 - DO NOT BUY ANY NETGEAR - BAD PRODUCT

Matt22
Aspirant

Netgear's Nighthawl R7000 - DO NOT BUY ANY NETGEAR - BAD PRODUCT

I purchased Netgear's Nighthawl R7000 just in May 2020. This device started dropping internet few Months after purchase, right after the 90 days support is over. The phone app is telling me the firmware is up to date but online their website is showing a different firmware. I called the tech support who is asking me to buy technical support without telling me what’s wrong with the devise. This is fairly new device. Not 5 years old or no longer supported. In fact, they are still selling the same device people and others are having the same issue after their 90 days. If it was a defect on this particular device then why others are having the same issue? And, why one have to pay to fix it if it’s a defect? It’s obvious it was set up this way.   

Other customers said ‘’the technical support from Netgear is pathetic, unprofessional and fraud. Their team has only one motive: to sell extended warranty (beyond 90 days) and dupe customers. They purposefully create issues and when customers call for help, they force them to buy 3m/6m/1year support at extra cost and fix the issue. This is their game plan and any amount of escalations makes no difference. Sincere advice: avoid buying their products and tech support.’’ This is true and honest statement. I myself regret buying from Netgear and would not recommend anyone falling in the same trap. Call them and check reviews to confirm it yourself.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 4
Matt22
Aspirant

Re: Netgear's Nighthawl R7000 - DO NOT BUY ANY NETGEAR - BAD PRODUCT

Read what others are saying yourself. 

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

@Matt22 wrote:

I purchased Netgear's Nighthawl R7000 just in May 2020. This device started dropping internet few Months after purchase, right after the 90 days support is over. The phone app is telling me the firmware is up to date but online their website is showing a different firmware.---The "auto-update" process for the R7000 doesn't work that great. The newest is 1.0.11.126. You can manually update. I'd recommend doing it over a hardwired connection and factory resetting/reinstalling afterwards.  I called the tech support who is asking me to buy technical support without telling me what’s wrong with the devise.----Support is only free for 90 days. After that its paid. It says it on the box. Unless the device has a hardware failure, its paid support this isn't new or hidden.  This is fairly new device. Not 5 years old or no longer supported.---It was released in 2013 so its an 8 year old device, not 5.  In fact, they are still selling the same device people and others are having the same issue after their 90 days. If it was a defect on this particular device then why others are having the same issue? And, why one have to pay to fix it if it’s a defect? It’s obvious it was set up this way.   

Other customers said ‘’the technical support from Netgear is pathetic, unprofessional and fraud. Their team has only one motive: to sell extended warranty (beyond 90 days) and dupe customers. They purposefully create issues and when customers call for help, they force them to buy 3m/6m/1year support at extra cost and fix the issue. This is their game plan and any amount of escalations makes no difference. Sincere advice: avoid buying their products and tech support.’’ This is true and honest statement. I myself regret buying from Netgear and would not recommend anyone falling in the same trap. Call them and check reviews to confirm it yourself.

What actual firmware version are you on? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

What actual issue are you having? Details of the problem help more than complaints of support. 

Message 3 of 4
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Matt22With the greatest of respect you haven't actually stated what your issue is? other than you state the router is dropping the internet after the 90 day support period has passed and then proceeded to rant about Netgear and their technical support. Not entirely helpful. So have you joined the forum to seek help? or are you just laying into Netgear because you have an issue you can't seem to solve?

So, as @plemans has enquired, just exactly what firmware is your router on? What does your Nighthawk app tell you it's on? It's then quite easy to find out whether or not you are on the right firmware just by going to the relevant page on Netgear's site, which it seems you may have done already. If you're not on the right firmware, flash your firmware, just follow Netgear's instructions. I've flashed mine no less than 6 times since I bought it, all without incident. I suggest however, you do it over ethernet, not WiFi. Some will tell you to go through a whole reset before and after when there really is no need, you just download it, upload it into the router and the router will reboot itself.

What's your environmental situation? i.e. is your router trying to pass WiFi through 3 feet thick brick walls? Some people seemingly shove their routers up in their attic, basement or in their garden shed and wonder why they're having connectivity issues.

What is your WiFi tx power set at?

How many WiFi devices are you attempting to connect to the router? are those devices themselves running up to date firmware/OS etc.

Have you altered any of the router settings from default?

Are your router settings set correctly for your ISP?

If you are running your router through a separate modem, is that modem configured correctly? I'm on full fibre, so my router plugs straight into an Optical Network Terminal but the correct ISP settings still have to be applied within the router itself.

Have you actually read the router manual? I ask this, because most people just can't be bothered. I've read mine and I've learned plenty. Indeed, I'm still learning.

Just a tip, ranting about Netgear on this forum won't I suspect make a blind bit of difference. As for support, well of course they're going to try and flog you technical support, it's one of the biggest money makers known to mankind! You've excercised your own free will and you've decided not to buy it, great job, but let those with deep pockets exercise their right to purchase if they want to.

My only advice really is that once you've checked the things pointed out, if you're not happy with the situation, use a different router/brand or use your ISP supplied router if they gave you one. I hope you get it sorted.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7