Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New NIghthawk X10 - Cannot access Rockstar Social Club

NEENOS
Aspirant

New NIghthawk X10 - Cannot access Rockstar Social Club

As the title suggests, I bought a new nighthawk x10 router. Everything works great except that I cannot access http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/

I can't play GTA V single player because social club won't start and I can't even access the website to login! I hooked my cable modem up directly to my machine directly and it works just fine. I hooked up my old Netgear R7000 router and I can access the website just fine. But for some reason the nighthawk x10 will not get out to the website and it's driving me nuts. Everything else works fine in my home network. I have updated the firmware to the recent version via router home page and by upload and have done a factory reset on the router. I have tried various setttings and I'm at my wits end here because none of this makes sense. I can access my rockstar social club account and the website on my phone or using another router/direct connection in my home.

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
NEENOS
Aspirant

Re: New NIghthawk X10 - Cannot access Rockstar Social Club

I "Solved" the issue!

So I got home from work and flashed the router to an earlier firmware version, reset factory settings and it didn't work. I had enough, so I went back to best buy and explained the situation to two geeksquad members who were rightfully looking at me like I had two heads. I was hesitant to exchange it for another R9000 as I was ready to launch my current one into space.

Got home, hooked up the router, power cycled the cable modem. Went through the setup and once I was connected to the internet the first thing I did was go out to https://socialclub.rockstargames.com and the page loads now!!!

I updated to the latest firmware of 1.0.4.2 and tested connectivity to the site again. It works!

In all my years of owning wireless routers this has got to be the strangest issue I have ever seen with one. I gave a call back to best buy to let them now that the new unit works out of courtesy because I'd like to know as a tech.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 16

All Replies

@NEENOS wrote:

I have updated the firmware to the recent version via router home page and by upload and have done a factory reset on the router.

What is the actual firmware version? Your description is not clear. A number is more useful than a guess about the latest.

Message 2 of 16
NEENOS
Aspirant

Sorry, I was exhausted from trying everything i can think of. Im running 1.0.4.2 the latest firmware for the r9000 router. I've never had an issue like this where I can't reach a single website.
Message 3 of 16

@NEENOS wrote:
Sorry, I was exhausted from trying everything i can think of. Im running 1.0.4.2 the latest firmware for the r9000 router.

OK. No hidden hot fixes that have yet to make it into the official stream. There seem to be several around at the moment.

Do you have a tablet or some other wifi device you could try on the same site?

Message 4 of 16
NEENOS
Aspirant

I've tried using googles dns servers already on the router with no luck.
Message 5 of 16
NEENOS
Aspirant

Yeah I tried the site on my cellphone through wifi and on my carriers network. Works fine on the carriers network, switch to wifi and i cannot access it.

I've been through every setting and configuration page on this router that would make a difference as well as a factory reset and reflashing the firmware.

I've tried using the MAC address from my old router but it would not connect to the internet no matter how much power cycling I did.

I've been a tech for years and never seen such a simple thing be so much of a pain.
Message 6 of 16

One last thought, have you tried older firmware?

Message 7 of 16
NEENOS
Aspirant

Funny you mention that, I was actually pondering that as i replied to the last post. I'll give that a try when I get home. It's either that or return the router and go to the dark side (linksys) which I don't really want to do.
Message 8 of 16

Any reason why you went for the R9000 in particular?

What in particular does it do that your R7000 can't?

The R7800 has the edge on the R7000 and is one of the mainstream routers that seems to get more attention than boxes that shift in smaller numbers.

I would not recommend the R7000P. It causes too much grief, but that may be because I use mine in beta trials.

Message 9 of 16
NEENOS
Aspirant

I could of gone with a cheaper router like the x6s or any other variant but I love me some bleeding edge tech.

But it should not prevent me from visiting a single https website. I can login to other secure sites like my bank accounts and others for paying bills. I would think those would have the same issue.

I have put in a ticket to rockstar support just in case they blacklisted my routers MAC for some reason.
Message 10 of 16

@NEENOS wrote:

I have put in a ticket to rockstar support just in case they blacklisted my routers MAC for some reason.

You have just reminded me of an earlier conversation in which someone else got blocked from a site. That one did track back to some freaky configuration at the receiving end.

The poor soul went through all manner of tracert to try to work out what was going on.

Unfortunately, my memory, and the crummy indexing on this site, means that I have zero chance of finding that discussion.

Message 11 of 16
NEENOS
Aspirant

I'm going to downgrade the firmware tonight to see if that makes a difference, I highly doubt it but its worth a shot. I hate to return a high priced ticket item but the amount of time spent troubleshooting this is approaching the cost of the router. Especially if I have to go through this whole thing with rockstar support.

I want to figure out the problem instead of just returning it to the store because then I would not learn anything from this.
Message 12 of 16
NEENOS
Aspirant

I "Solved" the issue!

So I got home from work and flashed the router to an earlier firmware version, reset factory settings and it didn't work. I had enough, so I went back to best buy and explained the situation to two geeksquad members who were rightfully looking at me like I had two heads. I was hesitant to exchange it for another R9000 as I was ready to launch my current one into space.

Got home, hooked up the router, power cycled the cable modem. Went through the setup and once I was connected to the internet the first thing I did was go out to https://socialclub.rockstargames.com and the page loads now!!!

I updated to the latest firmware of 1.0.4.2 and tested connectivity to the site again. It works!

In all my years of owning wireless routers this has got to be the strangest issue I have ever seen with one. I gave a call back to best buy to let them now that the new unit works out of courtesy because I'd like to know as a tech.

Message 13 of 16

Huh? That seriously does not make sense.

The next suggestion would have been to take the thing into the garden and dance around it naked at midnight during a full moon.

Message 14 of 16
NEENOS
Aspirant

Lol I completely agree it does not make any sense. Even the one tech at best buy who seemed to know his stuff was baffled.
Message 15 of 16
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

Huh? That seriously does not make sense.

The next suggestion would have been to take the thing into the garden and dance around it naked at midnight during a full moon.

I also include chicken bones in my dancing hands when doing this. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7