Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New R6900P connected to everything but Brother MFC-7860DW wirelessly

New R6900P connected to everything but Brother MFC-7860DW wirelessly

Successful install on new R6900P MU-MIMO which is connected to three laptops, 2 phones, TV, etc. working flawlessly in both 3 and 5 modes.   However, cannot connect to Brother MFC-7860DW wirelessly which was possible with old Netgear WNR 2000.  Not clear where to input new info on Brother printer as it's been so long.  Laptop Win 10 Dell has been running fine before and now.  

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

You said to contact the manufacturer, which is what I did.  Brother has an excellent presentation by one of their folk for this printer which has many views.  Fortunately, they also have a lot of discussion on some of the important points, three of which were critical in making a successful connection. 

Thanks for your time.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

did you use the same ssid from the old router to the new? 

or is it a new ssid?

Reason I ask, is with some older devices, they don't play well with smart connect. 

Sometimes you need to disabled smart connection with the 2.4ghz band set as the same ssid as it'd be with smart connect running and the 5ghz ssids changed. Then you get the device setup and turn the smart connect back on. 

Are you using smart connect?

are you trying to set it up via wps? or how are you trying to connect it? 

Message 2 of 5

Tks for the reply.  No, the ssid has changed with the new router.  Am not familiar with "Smart Connect".  The printer has been connected with only wirelessly and relatively seamlessly with a few quirks for several years.  

Running with new router, we're getting the full 100 Mbps from Comcast on 5 ghz.  Envision it would be with 2.4 ghz given the printer limitation as wouldn't expect it could handle 5 ghz.  Given COVID 19 and the the huge demand for network capacity everywhere, am running 2.4ghz unless we're watching a movie.  Seems like Comcast watches daily usage carefully and runs some kind of allocation algorithm.  

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@neuroscienceyog wrote:

Tks for the reply.  No, the ssid has changed with the new router.  Am not familiar with "Smart Connect".  The printer has been connected with only wirelessly and relatively seamlessly with a few quirks for several years.  

Running with new router, we're getting the full 100 Mbps from Comcast on 5 ghz.  Envision it would be with 2.4 ghz given the printer limitation as wouldn't expect it could handle 5 ghz.  Given COVID 19 and the the huge demand for network capacity everywhere, am running 2.4ghz unless we're watching a movie.  Seems like Comcast watches daily usage carefully and runs some kind of allocation algorithm.  

1. I don't think comcast is running any allocation programs. I've got gigabit and once everything was setup properly, I can routinely hit gigabit whenever I test/stress it. They do run data caps but have relaxed it during the covid issues.

2. You still didn't say how you were trying to setup the printer. Using a pin method, using wps, using som other method from the manufacturer.

3. Did you try contacting the manufacturer of the printer to see how they'd recommend connecting it? 

Message 4 of 5

You said to contact the manufacturer, which is what I did.  Brother has an excellent presentation by one of their folk for this printer which has many views.  Fortunately, they also have a lot of discussion on some of the important points, three of which were critical in making a successful connection. 

Thanks for your time.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7