Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.4.84 Released

Trevsweb
Tutor

sorry mentioned in my previous post the router was reset to factory settings..

traffic monitor is off. still same issue

Message 26 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try enabling IPv6.

@Trevsweb wrote:

sorry mentioned in my previous post the router was reset to factory settings..

traffic monitor is off. still same issue

Message 27 of 58
Trevsweb
Tutor

Virgin Media: Super Hun 2ac VMDG49 which it looks like its a Netgear modem router

in full modem mode 1.03

I did another wipe of my NighthawkNighthawk X6 R8000  

turned on ip6 on 6to4 as before

made sure traffic monitoring was off

Firmware Version
V1.0.4.84_10.1.84

Message 28 of 58
Trevsweb
Tutor

New issue: just added back all my attached reserved IP devices. Doesn't look like the devices are following the reservations. Even the mesh routers and Netgear ap are ignoring the r8000s list.
Weird.
Message 29 of 58
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Trevsweb, are you still experiencing the issue with your R8000?

Dexter

NETGEAR Team

Message 30 of 58
uksu
Tutor

Longest know bugs in history of hardware. And these are main functions of a router.

Message 31 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using the default IP address range? 

You might set a new default IP address range. I use 192.168.1.100 thru .200. Gives plenty of room for reservations and room on either side of the range for static IP set devices. 

What all do you have connected to the router? 
Mesh and APs? What models? 

@Trevsweb wrote:
New issue: just added back all my attached reserved IP devices. Doesn't look like the devices are following the reservations. Even the mesh routers and Netgear ap are ignoring the r8000s list.
Weird.

Message 32 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Trevsweb wrote:
Weird.

Message 33 of 58
Hasselby
Guide

Anybody still have issues with the DNS with this new firmware? I haven't downloaded it yet.

Message 34 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Enabling IPv6 seems to be the work around for DNS issues. 

Message 35 of 58
Hasselby
Guide

Hmm thanks. I'm going to roll back to 1.0.4.62 which is the most stable for me. Had a day with the new update, sometimes connection will drop and continue loading webpages until I refresh a couple times. Also affecting mobile connection. Tried enabling IPv6, no luck.

Message 36 of 58
rbernabe
Tutor

DNS issue here in Bakersfield using Spectrum. Has been issue with every update sine 1.0.4.68
Message 37 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Enabling IPv6 seems to be the work around for DNS issues. 

Message 38 of 58
rbernabe
Tutor

I enabled IPv6 and DNS issues are persisting with 1.0.4.84 but 1.0.4.68 works fine.

IPv6Enabled.png

Message 39 of 58
bitwave
Guide

R8000 latest firmware DNS is broke, others mentioned a workaround to enable ipv6 seems to fix the DNS issue however while running a moderate load today the internet connection drops and the router has to be reset. I am forced to roll back to a more stable build until this is fixed or move to another router with less problems.
Message 40 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes DNS is broke on this version and prior versoins as well. IPv6 is a work around for it. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What do you have all connected to the router when this connection dropped? 

Any Top LED inidications when this happens? 

How do you have wifi basic and advanced configured? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Access Controls, Armor, Circle or Traffic Meter enabled? 

Did you factory reset the router and setup from scratch or did you apply FW and continue to use the router?

@bitwave wrote:
R8000 latest firmware DNS is broke, others mentioned a workaround to enable ipv6 seems to fix the DNS issue however while running a moderate load today the internet connection drops and the router has to be reset. I am forced to roll back to a more stable build until this is fixed or move to another router with less problems.

Message 41 of 58
bitwave
Guide

My configuration is – Consolidated Comm. DSL Bonded ADSL/VDSL/ETHWAN  the router is a Zyxel VMG4825-10A Firmware V5.11(ABFT.1)CO. The radios are disabled so the ISP router is only providing wired trafic to the X6 R8000 via CAT6 cable. I am on a remote mountain side and have no neighboring wifi signals in the areas so the air is clean. I’ve had the ISP for several years now with no connection issues using the Zyxel however the wifi range is limited hence the R8000. Since purchasing the R8000 wifi range is excellent when working although its been challenging to get stability from this router.  I am seriously considering running opensource firmware on the router to see if I can get some stability going on this router.  Ive only had the router a few months bought on amazon and did the latest FW upgrade then factory reset before starting. It ran smoothly with the old FW and then after updating about a month ago its been troubles. I dont recall the old FW ver. I’ve owned many netgear’s in the past so I trusted the update, my mistake.

For the connections on the R8000 router the following wireless clients at the time the internet connection stopped – 2 wireless security camera’s, 3 Roku’s = (2 stream sticks 1 TV) 2 tablets and 2 cell phones and 3 laptops (1 of which was downloading).  Wired is an HP laserjet and MAC MINI running PLEX media server local traffic only which non of the TV’s were streaming so normal idle traffic of most all the devices.  I was attempting to download 4 large files at once “CentOS ISO, Rasberry PI ISO, Debian ISO and Knoppix ISO” onto my laptop. The laptop doing the downloads  was configured on the first 5GHz along with a Cell phone and second idle laptop. The second 5GHz radio has 3 ROKU (1 TV and 2 Streaming sticks). The 2.4GHz radio has 2 security cameras and 1 laptop. BTW the Zyxel had all the same equipment connected for 3 years without issues even using a Netgear range extender which is now off in a box becuase I bought this great R8000.

The wireless radio configurations are

1 - 2.4GHz WPA-PSK [AES] auto channel enabled up to 600Mbs

2 - 5GHz WPA-PSK [AES] channel 44 – 1300Mbs

3 – 5GHz WPA-PSK [AES] channel 153 – 1300Mbs

Lan connection is set to auto and the connection between the Zyxel and R8000 shows 1000M/FULL.

I have no ACL, Armor, Circle or Metering enabled the rest of the router settings are default, its pretty basic stuff. I have the LED’s disabled because the lights bother me at night, other than power so I cant help there.  I was a systems admin/dev support for several years at a network and wireless engineering company that wrote many of the IEEE protocals. The company engineered wired/wireless protocols for Broadcom, Atheros and several other big mfg including Netgear. They also used what they wrote in house on their infrastructure before it released for GA so I’ve seen my share of bugs and this firmware was deffently not ready for general availability. I lost a lot of confidence in Netgear’s releases with this and I’m not here to test the stuff I paid for. Hopefully the information I gave was helpful and Netgear can put it to some good use. So I’m going to leave it at that and hopefully the next release will be ready for GA and not just another flop I can find plenty of opensource out there to run on the R8000 and work my way around the quirks while Netgear fixes their issues.

Message 42 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

What kind of troubles are you having with the router? 

How do you have advanced wifi configured? 

Is Smart Connect enabled?

Is the modem in router mode or modem mode? If router mode, besure to put the R8000 IP address it gets from the modem into the modems DMZ.

Also you may need to enable IPv6 AUTO on the router as well as there is know DNS issues that IPv6 helps with. 

I have SC enabled. I use channels 1 and 40 and 149. 40Mhz only on 2.4Ghz. Beamforming and MIMO enabled. I found that Armor, Circle and Traffic Meter seems to cause speed problems so a factory reset and setup from scratch solved that with not enabling those. I my R8000 from Amazon as well a few months ago.

@bitwave 

Message 43 of 58
rbernabe
Tutor

I have an Arris Cable Modem, model SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 connected to Spectrum ISP.

This was purchased in 2018.

I do not have any special settings except for my own SSID and passwords. I did not leave the factory setting for these.

I do not have the added Security enabled.

Message 44 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Recommend replacing your 6190 modem. Long standing problems with this modem. 

A factory reset should be performed then setup from scratch then set IPv6 to Auto Detect, don't use 6to4. 

@rbernabe wrote:

I have an Arris Cable Modem, model SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 connected to Spectrum ISP.

This was purchased in 2018.

I do not have any special settings except for my own SSID and passwords. I did not leave the factory setting for these.

I do not have the added Security enabled.

Message 45 of 58
Trevsweb
Tutor

Still outstanding issue about DNS tried everything above and nothing is fixing this temperamental firmware. 

I'm assuming by the fact that its a known issue and has been several months that Netgear has dropped support on this device and this firmware is trash.

doing workarounds for ip6 etc did not work for me. I have a personal website that I can't access half the time (before you mention via a vpn or mobile it works flawlessly) this is 100% the routers issue. this firmware should be recalled.

almost on the verge of flashing the firmware to tomato to be done with this.

Certainly has given me less respect for Netgear products.

Message 46 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you configure IPv6 for Auto Detect? 

I hadn't seen any DNS issues after enabling IPv6...

@Trevsweb wrote:

Still outstanding issue about DNS tried everything above and nothing is fixing this temperamental firmware. 

I'm assuming by the fact that its a known issue and has been several months that Netgear has dropped support on this device and this firmware is trash.

doing workarounds for ip6 etc did not work for me. I have a personal website that I can't access half the time (before you mention via a vpn or mobile it works flawlessly) this is 100% the routers issue. this firmware should be recalled.

almost on the verge of flashing the firmware to tomato to be done with this.

Certainly has given me less respect for Netgear products.

Message 47 of 58
bitwave
Guide

Thanks for trying to help out but I'm done with Netgear firmware. I tried Tomatoe that bricked the router after recovering from that Im now running DD-WRT 10-03-2022-r50313 and have a lot less headaches and havent looked back. I've run DD-WRT in production environments in the past and for opensource they are constantly improving and have stable firmware as long as you read their wiki and installation recommendation. Netgear has totally lost my respect its pathetic they produce and release such garbage firmware for a router of this level.

Message 48 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that works better for you.

You'll need to refer to the DD-WRT forums for there support with there FW. 

Good Luck. 

Message 49 of 58
bitwave
Guide

Be careful with Tomato I tried it and bricked my router after recovering from that and doing more research on Tomato and Openwrt they appear to have stopped development some time ago. I'm now running DD-WRT latest build 10-03-2022-r50313 with little headaches. I've been running solid for the past 3 days without a hickup. I do have 1 of the 5Ghz radio's that is problematic while the other 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz are working perfectly for me. At least its usable now.

Message 50 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7