Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - R8500 Firmware Version 1.0.2.158 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - R8500 Firmware Version 1.0.2.158 Released

Security Fixes: 03/14/2022

Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security/

Firmware Update Instructions:

Download Link: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R8500.aspx#download

To update your router's firmware, follow the instructions in your router's user manual. To view your router's user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R8500.aspx#docs

Manually update FW on the router if this isn't seen on the routers web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Use a wired PC and web browser to update router FW. If continued problems are seen after a FW update, it's recommended to try a factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configurations from backup files.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

This article applies to:

Let us know how this version of FW works for you...

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
J29
Tutor
Tutor

Message 2 of 14
weblee
Guide

I did a 30-30-30 reset and updated the firmware then configured from scratch.

Through put is great; DNS responsive BUT I get absolutly nothing in the logs but DHCP messages.  No event posts when I login; no access messages when a client visits a website;block site attempts - NOTHING.

Any advise on how to toggle logging back on?

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try enabling IPv6 on the router? Set someting up for automatic for IPv6...

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

So I put my slightly used recently arrived R8500 online the other day. I am noticing DNS issues. So I enabled IPv6 using Auto Detect options and applied. Not seeing any more DNS issue however going to run this a bit longer. Other wise, FW seems ok.

Message 5 of 14
J29
Tutor
Tutor

144 is still the only working firmware at the moment. 

158 shows the DNS error and needs refresh to show the web page. Enabling ip6 seems to fix this issue, however I found the internet speed dropped by half and there was issues uploading attachments in certain websites, like GitHub. I had to revert back to 144 again and all issues are gone.

Netgear needs to do a better job testing their firmware before releasing it. The dns issue is so obvious that I don’t understand how they can miss it, and after a few updates, this is still unaddressed, while customers are complaining for such a long time. I am also losing my patience…

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Im using v.158 on my 8500. I don't see any slow downs if IPv6 is enabled:

IPv6Settings.png

Wired speed with IPv6 enabled:

Over900MpbsWithIPv6Enabled.png

@J29 wrote:

144 is still the only working firmware at the moment. 

158 shows the DNS error and needs refresh to show the web page. Enabling ip6 seems to fix this issue, however I found the internet speed dropped by half and there was issues uploading attachments in certain websites, like GitHub. I had to revert back to 144 again and all issues are gone.

Netgear needs to do a better job testing their firmware before releasing it. The dns issue is so obvious that I don’t understand how they can miss it, and after a few updates, this is still unaddressed, while customers are complaining for such a long time. I am also losing my patience…

Message 7 of 14
X-1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat with my R8500 and I am certainly evaluating other routers after a very good ride with Netgear.  It is sad when you are forced to consider other options after a good bit of loyalty to Netgear both at home and in the office.  I guess that is the way it goes, so I'll look for other equipment for future purchases if this is Netgear's take on the matter.  It's not just end of life, its that they had a security issue, tried to fix it, caused more issues and then the answer is "end of life".  No, that's Netgear hoping we will by another router by them and I agree with you.  I also have employed an number of NAS units over the years both at home and work.  I've also begun replacing those with other equipment.  I had hoped Netgear would remain the solid performer they have been, but its just not so.

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What same boat are you in that your referring too? 

My R8500 has been working well on this version of FW. Just have to enable IPv6 to avoid DNS issue. Working great ever since. 

@X-1 wrote:

I'm in the same boat with my R8500 and I am certainly evaluating other routers after a very good ride with Netgear.  It is sad when you are forced to consider other options after a good bit of loyalty to Netgear both at home and in the office.  I guess that is the way it goes, so I'll look for other equipment for future purchases if this is Netgear's take on the matter.  It's not just end of life, its that they had a security issue, tried to fix it, caused more issues and then the answer is "end of life".  No, that's Netgear hoping we will by another router by them and I agree with you.  I also have employed an number of NAS units over the years both at home and work.  I've also begun replacing those with other equipment.  I had hoped Netgear would remain the solid performer they have been, but its just not so.

Message 9 of 14
X-1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried IPv6, it did work for about a day or two and then the router began resetting over and over.  Turned IPv6 off and router returned to normal but with DNS issue.  I've ordered a different router from another company.  That will certainly prove it to be an issue with Netgear or something else in my hardware or settings.

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Did you factory reset the router after v.158 was applied and setup from scratch? 

I've had IPv6 enabled on mine and it hasn't rebooted. Wonder what else could be effecting your router. 

What all do you have connected to it? 

@X-1 wrote:

I tried IPv6, it did work for about a day or two and then the router began resetting over and over.  Turned IPv6 off and router returned to normal but with DNS issue.  I've ordered a different router from another company.  That will certainly prove it to be an issue with Netgear or something else in my hardware or settings.

Message 11 of 14
J29
Tutor
Tutor

I think bottom line is that Netgear needs to fix this DNS bug. You are suggesting a walk around, that may work for some people. But it is not the root cause fix for the DNS bug customers are seeing and it does not exist in previous version. See how many people in the forum are complaining about this bug...

Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes enabling IPv6 is a work around. 

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

New FW update for the R8500:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R8500-Firmware-Version-1-0-2-160-Release...

Not sure if this fixes the DNS issue. 
IPv6 may still be needed as a work around. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7