Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New device added to wifi makes others lose internet connection

bmillcpa
Follower

New device added to wifi makes others lose internet connection

I have quite a few devices connected to my home network.  Although we have more, the devices that I will discuss in thsi question are an XBox, A Microsoft Surface Pro, and two different Dell Laptops.

When I work from home, I use the Surface.

The first incident happened when I was working and someone started the XBox.  When the XBox was started, the surface stayed connected to the network but internet was lost.  Resetting the router brought it back, but it was lost again when the XBox was started.  I finally had to connect to a hotspot on my phone to be able to work.  After this day, the problem went away.

The second incident happened when I brought my Dell laptop computer home from work.  I was working from the Surface and everything was fine.  I turned on the Dell in order to do a training meeting.  When I started the Dell and it connected to the network, the Surface stayed connexcted to the network but lost internet.  When i would get the Dell working, the Surface would not, and vice versa.

The third incident happened Friday.  Someone else that lives in the home brought in a new work computer that is also a Dell laptop.  This laptop uses a VPN to connect to his work.  Very similar to incident 2 above, when he connected to the Wi-Fi, the Surface lost internet and vice versa.  Final solution was to restart the router, plug both the Dell and the Surface were hardwired on ethernet and restart the computers.  Even today when I went to the office and the Surface was not being used, he kept losing internet so he had to hard wire onto ethernet, restart the routher, and restart the computer.

Any ideas why putting a new device on the network would make others lose internet connection.  What conflict could be causing this?  I do have QOS turned on, I think I turned that on with incident 1 to see if that would help.  Also, not sure if this matters, but I have the SSID broadcast turned off.  I think everything else is default settings.  These devices are attached to the 5G Wi-Fi.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: New device added to wifi makes others lose internet connection

What firmware version do you have on the R7000P?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

@bmillcpa wrote:

I do have QOS turned on, I think I turned that on with incident 1 to see if that would help.  Also, not sure if this matters, but I have the SSID broadcast turned off.  I think everything else is default settings.  These devices are attached to the 5G Wi-Fi.

Why turn on QoS? Trying to limit some wifi users? How fast is your Internet? QoS  is of little value, a hindrance even, for Internet faster than 300 Mbps. (Some say 200 Mbps.) It also eats into the router's processing power, along with traffic metering and things like Circle.

Why is SSID broadcast turned off?

@bmillcpa wrote:

I have quite a few devices connected to my home network.  Although we have more, the devices that I will discuss in thsi question are an XBox, A Microsoft Surface Pro, and two different Dell Laptops.

Are all of these on wifi? I would shift as much as possible on to a wired Ethernet connection. Things that don't move around, like a laptop on a desk, benefit from being on a wired link. Here Powerline Ethernet can eliminate the need to run wires all over the place.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7