Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NightHawk R7000 and OpenVPN on Windows 7 and 10 openvpn error 868

jodecluette
Aspirant

NightHawk R7000 and OpenVPN on Windows 7 and 10 openvpn error 868

I have been trying to get the vpn service setup and working on the Nighthawk R7000 with clients in Windows 7 and Windows 7, I have followed the setup and check and re-checked everything appears okey. When I try logging in the Netgear-vpn using openvpn client it keep getting the error 868.

My question is does VPN work on the Nighthawk R7000 if so can someone please give a complete set of instruction for setup.

exp: Everything is setup when I try to connect I get a dialog asking for User name and Password. What user, my computer login or am I creating and new user account for vpn. There is nothing that I can find that have the answer for User name and why do I keep getting the damn error 868 error.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
jodecluette
Aspirant

Okey, maybe I'm not explaining myself so I'll try again, I have already gone throught the netgear setup and tested the install and the router and my computer say it is connected and functioning.

I cannot connect from any outside device not my phone, not my laptop running on a seperate internet and even my desktop running on a seperate internet so please don't provide a link to the netgear vpn setup. I am trying to connect to the vpn without success.

Maybe this will help I used the netgear ddns service which gave me a host name to use, a port id, do I create a new user name and password for the vpn or do I use the login for my desktop or can I not use the host name provided by ddns service that was provide by netgear?

Thank you for the help

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Badock
Tutor

I'm a little unclear on exactly what you are trying to do. From the Netgear VPN Help page on my router: "The VPN Service function allows you to access your home network in a secured way through the Internet when you are out of home." So it's only meant for incoming connections. If you are using a VPN client on a computer attached to the internal LAN and trying to connect to the router, it won't work. To use a VPN for outgoing connections, you'll need a VPN provider. They will give you a username and password that you can put into the VPN client to connect to their network.
Message 2 of 6
jodecluette
Aspirant

Hi Badock, I am just trying to get it setup and tested before leaving home only to find out its still not working. Again like I said when testing it ask for a user name and password, is that a new user name and password for the vpn login or is it he user name and password used for logging on to the computer. Once login can I use all of the rights I have on my computer at home?

Thanks for the help

Message 3 of 6
Badock
Tutor

Okay, there's a lot to this.

You'll need a Dynamic DNS service to keep track of your router's WAN IP so you'll be able to find it when you're out and about if it changes.  Unless you have a static IP that is, and almost no one does.

This is a tutorial on setting up VPN with Netgear routers.

https://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do-I-use-the-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-cli...

Again, if you are attempting to connect to the Netgear router VPN, I doubt that it will work if you are on a computer connected to the internal LAN.  I beleive that it only accepts connections from the WAN port.  To test, put a VPN client on your phone, disconnect it from the wifi and use the phone to connect.  That will come into the router from the internet via your cellular provider.

Message 4 of 6
jodecluette
Aspirant

Okey, maybe I'm not explaining myself so I'll try again, I have already gone throught the netgear setup and tested the install and the router and my computer say it is connected and functioning.

I cannot connect from any outside device not my phone, not my laptop running on a seperate internet and even my desktop running on a seperate internet so please don't provide a link to the netgear vpn setup. I am trying to connect to the vpn without success.

Maybe this will help I used the netgear ddns service which gave me a host name to use, a port id, do I create a new user name and password for the vpn or do I use the login for my desktop or can I not use the host name provided by ddns service that was provide by netgear?

Thank you for the help

Message 5 of 6
jodecluette
Aspirant

For you guys out there that are like me and trying to setup netgear vpn for the first time and using the No-IP DDNS service please note: The netgear setup instructions provided in incomplete, after creating a DDNS user account netgear provide you with a host name. If you want to use the host name you must and I repeat you must login at No-IP and activate that host name are it will not work. Please make sure you have the complete set of instructions before you advise others on what to do when they ask for assistant.

Thank you for your help and I do apologize if my words have offended anyone.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7