Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NightHawk

efire9207
Aspirant

NightHawk

I had the Nighthawk x6, my ISP is a local Fiber connection. Usually, once a week I lost my Internet connection. the light would be amber and the genie would say Internet Not Connected.  One of the techs fomr the ISP came to check my cables and seen it was Netgear, he said if we change the Mac address by one number it probably would work. and so it did.. and so I would do this everytime I had a problem. Got feed up and went for the new Nighthawk x10.  awesome.. one week, same trouble.. I went from default Mac address to Use this Mac address, then when that stopped, I said use computer Mac.. they all work for a short time then I have to change them again.. So, is it my Router or is it something at the ISP?   Please let me know if you have any idea .... 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
efire9207
Aspirant

Re: NightHawk

it wasn't totally disconnected... the light was still on. just couldn't connect... so I went to the Advanced page of Internet Settings and changed the Mac Address to Use Computer Mac Address.. that worked for a while.. then lost connection again.  Went back there and change to Use this Mac Address and so far it's been a week and a half and it's still running

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @efire9207

Have you tried bypassing the router?

Will you get disconnection if you directly connect the PC straight to the modem or your Fiber connection? In this way, you can verify which unit has a problem.

If you bypass the router, make sure that you take some time observing your connection.

Message 2 of 6
efire9207
Aspirant

it wasn't totally disconnected... the light was still on. just couldn't connect... so I went to the Advanced page of Internet Settings and changed the Mac Address to Use Computer Mac Address.. that worked for a while.. then lost connection again.  Went back there and change to Use this Mac Address and so far it's been a week and a half and it's still running

Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How's the connection so far?

Message 4 of 6
efire9207
Aspirant

So far it hasn't lost any connections... very strange.. first weekend I lost connections several times.  Changed the MAC several times.. but now it's holding pretty good...

Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's great to hear!

Thank you for the update.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos