× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk 6 PRO ( MR6500 )

elgoots
Guide

Nighthawk 6 PRO ( MR6500 )

It is very apparent that the MR6500 Nighthawk 6 PRO has some critical issues for people who use them fulltime.

• Dropping out of signal (says searching) even though you had full reception and other 4g/5g devices in same location do not drop and have strong signal. Never reconnects just sits on searching. the only way to make it work again is to reboot the nighthawk.
  • Overheating if battery is charging or left in
  • If using ethernet it stops working and the only way to make it work again is to reboot the nighthawk.

I have been a network engineer for 20 years. I have these deployed to many clients and they do not have these issues with the previous models but have it with the 6 and 6 pro.

I have even used a mimo antenna that I can see data logs of that has strong, uniterrupted signal but yet the nighthawk drops and sits on searching while plugged into the mimo antenna which reports strong full bars with no interference. 

This is clearly an issue. There are hundreds of complaints but yet NO firmware releases to attempt to rectify any of these issues which for full time users make this thing a brick. Having to reboot anywhere from 1 to 10 times a day depending is not ideal when you need to wait 5 minutes > each time to reboot.

So what is going on with the firmware from netgear (not from the ISP's)?? Do netgear even acknowledge there is an issue? 

I know its hardware or firmware as I have tried everything available to me:

• Mimo external roof mounted antenna 4g/5g
  • Removed battery running on AC power
  • High performance mode
  • DHCP and Manual static IP as a test
  • Manually configuring ISP WAN details
  • Disabling tethering and Ethernet or WIFI and using ethernet etc and only using 1 method at a time.
  • Making sure time outs /  sleep modes etc are disabled
  • Testing multiple devices connected to it including keep alive pings to make sure it wasnt a hidden issue with packets sleeping
  • Realtime data logs from antennas making sure there isnt a signal issue from ISP ( tower )
  • Firmware update checks - Never been any!
  • Factory Reset
  • Manual DNS / DHCP DNS
  • Tethering charge only
  • Ethernet port speeds

There is nothing left on my end. But yet I can plug in previous models and it works fine in the exact same environments.... This isnt good enough and I have read about these issues now since release and nothing seems to be getting done about it?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
elgoots
Guide

Re: Nighthawk 6 PRO ( MR6500 )

Hi John, I have emailed you with subject: json log for nighthawk 6 pro as requested on forum

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for reporting the issues to us. I will work with you to have your issues resolved.

Could you please help to capture a model.json file and send PM to me?

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Thanks

John

Message 2 of 10
elgoots
Guide

i did reply but it seems it got deleted? is there something in there that is sensitive and i am meant to leave out?

Message 3 of 10
Dkling1977
Aspirant

Hi John,

I have the MR6500 as well. Just bought from at&t store 3 days ago and this thing locks up about 20 times a day.

Be honest with us, are there just bad batches or is the whole product line poorly designed. At&t recommended the Franklin A50 to me, but I need an Ethernet port to connect my home wife mesh up for full time use. If there is no real fix please let us know. I can see historical threads of you asking for Json files, but nothing on a permanent fix.

Do I need to move to a cradlepoint or higher end 5g router?

At&t acknowledged the netgear nughthawk m6 and m6 pro hotspots are being returned quite a bit. Please be frank with us, as I need a reliable internet for work.

Thank you,

Dale
Message 4 of 10
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Please email me the log with jopeng@netgear.com.

Thanks

John

Message 5 of 10
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Dkling1977 wrote:
Hi John,

I have the MR6500 as well. Just bought from at&t store 3 days ago and this thing locks up about 20 times a day.

Be honest with us, are there just bad batches or is the whole product line poorly designed. At&t recommended the Franklin A50 to me, but I need an Ethernet port to connect my home wife mesh up for full time use. If there is no real fix please let us know. I can see historical threads of you asking for Json files, but nothing on a permanent fix.

Do I need to move to a cradlepoint or higher end 5g router?

At&t acknowledged the netgear nughthawk m6 and m6 pro hotspots are being returned quite a bit. Please be frank with us, as I need a reliable internet for work.

Thank you,

Dale

Please also provide the model.json file for me to check. Make sure you do a manual upgrade check and have your device upgraded to the latest release. To be honest, any products can have issues. That is why we have the community here to get customers feedback and comments and at the same time, we can provide some solutions quickly.

Thanks

John

Message 6 of 10
elgoots
Guide

Hi John, I have emailed you with subject: json log for nighthawk 6 pro as requested on forum

Message 7 of 10
elgoots
Guide

For anyone else coming across these issues. I submitted my config file and received a updated firmware with allot of bug fixes and updates. The issue seems to not be with netgear but with the supplier/service providers (isp's) not pushing the firmware across their network to make it available.

Netgear (john) was very helpful and I have now applied the firmware update.

Cross fingers that sorts the issues above. I will check back in a week to update this thread so there is at least an answer to people with similar issues if it resolves it.

Message 8 of 10
elgoots
Guide

I can confirm after heavy constant use of the device since the firmware updates supplied by John that I have had absolutely zero issues. Infact latency has decreased, speeds are more stable and faster to get to their maximum ability. No issues I listed originally have occured. I have multiple methods of connection within the network from switches, tv's to laptops and pcs using WIFI and ethernet. None of had an issue anymore. 

Message 9 of 10
saimirgasa
Initiate

Hi John - 

I just emailed you my model.json file as well. 

I'm also facing interruptions throughout the day. I work from home and I have to remote desktop into a VM for work and as you may guess interruptions can be very problematic. These interruptions have stuck my VM session into an unresponsive state 3 times last week causing me a couple of hours to restart my M6 Pro and my VM. 

The other problem that I have is that the whenever I turn on Dual-Band 2.4 & 6 GHz the 6GHz SSID is not discovered. My laptop has 6E enabled as I have connected to other 6GHz band before (not with M6 Pro device). 

I have had this device for a little over a week now and I got to say I'm not satisfied due to these problems. If they keep happening for another week or so I will have to return it.

And yes, I have the latest firmware and I have reset the device multiple times.

Looking forward to your response!

Saimir

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7