Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC 1750, model R6700 firmware update problem

JosieDog
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC 1750, model R6700 firmware update problem

I cannot update my firmware on a Nighthawk AC1750 model 3782A96D-3698-4458-95D2-71E5C9A71BD8.jpeg84EA1ED8-761E-47D5-A083-37920549DC52.jpegR6700 router. It has not been used for 5-6 years, and now with a different provider (Spectrum). Customer support says I have to purchase a support plan for $130. I cannot log into the router to download the updated firmware file. I have tried everything. Can’t get to a login page. Should I just buy another router? It seems this one is still a viable router. I hate to trash it. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 13
Kitsap
Master

Re: Nighthawk AC 1750, model R6700 firmware update problem

@JosieDog wrote:

I cannot update my firmware on a Nighthawk AC1750 model 3782A96D-3698-4458-95D2-71E5C9A71BD8.jpeg84EA1ED8-761E-47D5-A083-37920549DC52.jpegR6700 router. It has not been used for 5-6 years, and now with a different provider (Spectrum). Customer support says I have to purchase a support plan for $130. I cannot log into the router to download the updated firmware file. I have tried everything. Can’t get to a login page. Should I just buy another router? It seems this one is still a viable router. I hate to trash it. Any ideas?

First of all, be absolutely certain your model number is R6700.  There is a R6700v2 and R6700v3.  The firmware updates are different for each model.  Look at the label on the router.

If it is the R6700, go to this link and download the users manual.  https://www.netgear.com/support/download/?model=R6700 Look up factory default reset on page 145.  It should really say firmware default reset but the manual lost something in translation.  After the firmware default reset, the password will be the default password as stated in the manual.  This should allow you log in to the user interface.  On this same page you can download the current and older versions of firmware.  There is a downward caret symbol at the bottom of the column on the right side of the page.  Click on it and you can see the older versions of firmware to download.

Over 5 to 6 years there have been several firmware updates and you may not be able to jump over them all in one install.  It may take two or three increments.  Just have to try and see.  Strongly recommend you perform a manual firmware update using a web browser on a real computer directly connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.  See here: https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router 

Recommend you perform a firmware default reset every couple of increments of firmware updates.  Definitely perform one after you install the most recent firmware version.

If you find you have a R6700v2 or R6700v3, go to the downloads section at the top of this page and download the manual and firmware updates for that specific model number.

The R6700 is no longer cutting edge hardware, but it should still be functional for many applications.

Message 2 of 13

@JosieDog wrote:

Customer support says I have to purchase a support plan for $130.

Who said that? $130 isn't a number I recognise from Gearhead, Netgear's support partner.

GearHead Support | NETGEAR

If it was from someone you found with a web search there is a good chance that it was a scam site that masquerades as Netgear. If that was the case, in future be careful to avoid these people. That can damage your technology as well as your bank balance.

Message 3 of 13
JosieDog
Aspirant

Sorry, it was $139.00 for one year from Gearhead tech support.

Message 4 of 13
Kitsap
Master

@JosieDog wrote:

No purchase required here.......

Please post back and let us know if you are successful in updating the firmware on your router.

Remember, stay away from the mobile applications and Wi-Fi in the process.

Message 5 of 13

@JosieDog wrote:

OK. Still a rip off. Probably more than it cost.

@Kitsap has it right.

Message 6 of 13
JosieDog
Aspirant

Still can’t get by “Router login page cannot be displayed” screen. I have this netgear R6700 router 10 ft. From my spectrum modem. The router is Ethernet cable connected to my PC. I’m trying to eliminate the monthly fee for my spectrum router and replace it with this netgear router. The spectrum modem and router are still connected to my ISP for Wi-Fi. I tried swapping out the spectrum router for this netgear, but again no luck in getting to login screen. What am I missing? I also can’t get the amber light to go white. It is the second led light from the left. Which I assume means no internet connection. This update firmware exercise is nearing the garbage can. I’ve tried reset buttons on everything I can find. No luck. Apparently, I’m a moron on this. Any ideas are appreciated.

Message 7 of 13

@JosieDog wrote:

Still can’t get by “Router login page cannot be displayed” screen.

You do not have to connect your R6700 to the modem/router or the Internet to work on it.

You can download the firmware using whatever you have now.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I’m trying to eliminate the monthly fee for my spectrum router and replace it with this netgear router. The spectrum modem and router are still connected to my ISP for Wi-Fi.

What are these spectrum boxes? The modem? Make and model?

The spectrum modem and router are still connected to my ISP for Wi-Fi. I tried swapping out the spectrum router for this netgear, but again no luck in getting to login screen.

You can't go slapping all this stuff together in a random order. And adding one router to a network that already has a router is almost guaranteed to cause grief, including the sort of access problems you describe.

Everything has to be started in the right order:

After you have updated the firmware, be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

I also can’t get the amber light to go white. It is the second led light from the left. Which I assume means no internet connection.

Indeed, but you can update the firmware by the simple process described in the link above. Do things a step at a time.

Message 8 of 13
Kitsap
Master

@JosieDog wrote:

Still can’t get by “Router login page cannot be displayed” screen. I have this netgear R6700 router 10 ft. From my spectrum modem. The router is Ethernet cable connected to my PC. I’m trying to eliminate the monthly fee for my spectrum router and replace it with this netgear router. The spectrum modem and router are still connected to my ISP for Wi-Fi. I tried swapping out the spectrum router for this netgear, but again no luck in getting to login screen. What am I missing? I also can’t get the amber light to go white. It is the second led light from the left. Which I assume means no internet connection. This update firmware exercise is nearing the garbage can. I’ve tried reset buttons on everything I can find. No luck. Apparently, I’m a moron on this. Any ideas are appreciated.

Feedback on the make and model number of your Spectrum hardware is critical.  If it is a combination device with both cable modem and Wi-Fi router in the same box, your R6700 will not replace the cable modem part.

Message 9 of 13
JosieDog
Aspirant

These are two separate units from Spectrum. Modem on left.38052765-5887-4D5D-BB26-0A4B1461987C.jpeg

Message 10 of 13
JosieDog
Aspirant

I have already downloaded the netgear website firmware zip file on my desktop. Ok, so far? Then I will follow your instructions on network start up sequences. Thank you for your thoughts on all of this. We’ll see if I can do this.

Message 11 of 13
Kitsap
Master

@JosieDog wrote:

I have already downloaded the netgear website firmware zip file on my desktop. Ok, so far? Then I will follow your instructions on network start up sequences. Thank you for your thoughts on all of this. We’ll see if I can do this.

Follow the instructions in the manual update reference.

You may not be successful if you try to jump all of the versions in one effort.  It may take some incremental updates to get to the current version.  This means you may have to download more than one zip file.

Message 12 of 13

@Kitsap wrote:

@JosieDog wrote:

Follow the instructions in the manual update reference.

You may not be successful if you try to jump all of the versions in one effort.  It may take some incremental updates to get to the current version.  This means you may have to download more than one zip file.

Good call. It may not be necessary, but the R6700 might well be one of those routers that has acquired new features that meant big firmware changes. It dates from the era when Netgear was messing with Armor and Circle.

Try the newest, but if it doesn't work go for something between the newest and the installed firmware.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7