Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 extremely slow on WIfi

iSeawitch
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 extremely slow on WIfi

So it all started with a problem with the line in the street  and low upload speeds. That got fixed and now if I connect directly to Spectrums modem with the laptop I get 450+upload and 22 down. When I connect with the router on 5GHz i get around 108 down and 19 up. 2.4 GHz is only 69 down. I have the latest firmware installed. What happened? Before the fix to the line, I was getting 350 down which wasn't great but this sucks! Tired of buying a new router ever 2 years. HELP!!! Yes I have rebooted everything multiple times. I am 20 feet from the router line of sight.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

@iSeawitch wrote:

199 Mbps download speed using the laptop connected to the wifi .

450 Mbps when laptop is connected to the modem directly. Isn't that what you asked for initially?

Now that you have changed your network category from public to private, you need to go to your Laptop configuration and forget the previous Wi-Fi network connection.  Reconnect over Wi-Fi and enter you Wi-Fi password from scratch.

For throughput testing, are you using the Ookla stand alone application for Windows?  If not, go to the play store and install it.  This eliminates the web browser application from the equation.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@iSeawitch wrote:

So it all started with a problem with the line in the street  and low upload speeds. That got fixed and now if I connect directly to Spectrums modem with the laptop I get 450+upload and 22 down. When I connect with the router on 5GHz i get around 108 down and 19 up. 2.4 GHz is only 69 down. I have the latest firmware installed. What happened? Before the fix to the line, I was getting 350 down which wasn't great but this sucks! Tired of buying a new router ever 2 years. HELP!!! Yes I have rebooted everything multiple times. I am 20 feet from the router line of sight.

Additional information needed.  What is the brand name and model number of the Spectrum modem?

After the repairs, did you power down (pull the power cord) on your modem and router then power them back up in sequence?  Modem first and wait for it to fully boot and stabilize before powering up the router.

On your Wi-Fi connections to your computer, did you forget the network connections and re-establish by entering the password?  On your computer, check the classification on your Wi-Fi network.  It should be private and not public.

What is the version number of the firmware on your R7000?  The latest is not an answer that allows confirmation.

Message 2 of 10
iSeawitch
Aspirant

Hitron  Docsis 3.1 p/n 1522300001v0

yes to pulling power and restarting in appropriate order.

yes to forgetting and re-adding the network with password

Im not seeing a private/public option.

V1.0.11.136_10.2.120Is that not the newest?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 10

@iSeawitch wrote:

Im not seeing a private/public option.

Change from Public to Private Network in Windows 7, 8 and 10

Windows 10 Tip: How To Change The Network Type From Public To Private | Bruceb News

V1.0.11.136_10.2.120Is that not the newest?

It is.

Message 4 of 10
iSeawitch
Aspirant

Changing to private brought it up some but still less than half of the connection to the modem directly.

Message 5 of 10

Your subject says "extremely slow on WIfi". 

How fast is it now?

Remember that wifi will always be slower than wired and the R7000 doesn't support newer "go fast" wifi standards. Compare the wifi clients you are using on different sources.

Message 6 of 10
iSeawitch
Aspirant

199 down  on the router,, direct connect was 450.

Message 7 of 10

@iSeawitch wrote:

199 down  on the router,, direct connect was 450.

Doesn't tell us much. These are wifi? (That's what your subject is all about.)

What is "direct connect"? Wired? That's not wifi.

Message 8 of 10
iSeawitch
Aspirant

450 Mbps when laptop is connected to the modem directly. Isn't that what you asked for initially?

Message 9 of 10
Kitsap
Master

@iSeawitch wrote:

Now that you have changed your network category from public to private, you need to go to your Laptop configuration and forget the previous Wi-Fi network connection.  Reconnect over Wi-Fi and enter you Wi-Fi password from scratch.

For throughput testing, are you using the Ookla stand alone application for Windows?  If not, go to the play store and install it.  This eliminates the web browser application from the equation.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7