Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router (R7000)

TexasDigital
Follower

Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router (R7000)

I received a phone number from the internet for NetGear support, as I was having issues connecting connecting my NetGear WiFi Extender to my NetGear Nighthawk Router.  I will post the text of an email I sent to Tek Help Solutions that will explain what happened.  However, when I contacted NetGear support on March 15th, the chat agent kept asking for the case number or the name of the tech I spoke with.  Sorry guys, this happened on March 9 and I don't remember the name of the tech, nor the case number.  They were not able to help me.

On March 9th, 2023, I was having issues with my NetGear Nighthawk router.  I called what I thought was NetGear support and spoke with a technician who identified himself as an employee of NetGear.  Getting my router and NetGear extender back online was a bit more complicated than anticipated, and the technician asked to connect to my computer, via ultra viewer, and run a deep scan.  I had no reason to doubt his identity, as I call what I thought was a NetGear number I obtained from the internet.  He identified numerous issues and recommended a lifetime support that included a firewall and other security features.  It was also a one-time fee.  He transferred me to a different technician, who actually completed the process.

Yesterday, I had a question concerning the firewall, and I contacted NetGear support.  They had no clue about my issue, the services I received, the identity of the support person, nor how I was transferred to your company.

I am not complaining about the package I received, as it may provide some security I did not have before.  But I am curious how this process transpired.  Who is the agent that transferred me to the technician that completed the process, and does he in fact work for NetGear?  I am also not accusing your company of any wrongdoing, however, I think you would be interested in knowing if a rogue agent with NetGear was directing business to someone within your organization, with the impression this was an approved NetGear service.

I am told that I have a network firewall that provides superior protection to my network and all of the devices connected to it.  Yet, unlike a normal software security program, such as McAfee, I have no apparent way to confirm the existence of this firewall, nor to learn how effective it is in protecting my network.

Also, please do not respond to this message with a phone call.  I am an older gentleman and I have hearing issues which made it difficult to understand the person who called me this morning.  You may contact me via my email at l************@gmail.com.

Finally, can you provide me with a phone number to your support department.  Communicating by email can take time and I was told I’d have 24/7 access to your support line.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to reach out to NG support and contact them, Ask for online chat over Zoom or Skype or use there online ticket service. This is beyond forum help and needs NG attention:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/about/contact-us/

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 3

@TexasDigital wrote:

Yesterday, I had a question concerning the firewall, and I contacted NetGear support.  They had no clue about my issue, the services I received, the identity of the support person, nor how I was transferred to your company.

How did you contact Netgear?

If you rang a number you found with a Google search, there is a high probability that you landed on a scam site that has nothing to do with Netgear.

He identified numerous issues and recommended a lifetime support that included a firewall and other security features.  It was also a one-time fee.  He transferred me to a different technician, who actually completed the process.

Another worrying clue.

After the first free 90-day set up assistance, Netgear does not provide direct support. It operates through GearHead.

GearHead Support | NETGEAR

This costs. There is a one-off option, but they usually try to sell a subscription.

Finally, can you provide me with a phone number to your support department.  Communicating by email can take time and I was told I’d have 24/7 access to your support line.

As @FURRYe38 says, there's nothing much anyone can do here.

This community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series