Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC4000 (R8000P)

Macattack022
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC4000 (R8000P)

I am not getting full network speeds on my LAN ports. First off the Wi-Fi works just fine, I'm getting 400up/20down (thats what I pay for), but my LAN connections are only getting 90 down. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING!! I have a 30 ft cat 8 ethernet going to my new PC, which has a 2.5 GB port, and that only gets 90 down. I then have a 100 ft cat 6 ethernet going to a five port switch (I think tp-link) with one of the extensions going to an xbox series x, and that is only getting 90 down. Then the really weird thing is my roommate has a 150 ft cat 6 ethernet going directly to his ps5 and he was getting 450 down. 

I did some research and made sure my QOS, parental controls, access control, and traffic monitoring were all turned OFF! That still did nothing. Final step, I did a factory reset of the router this weekend. That did not help at all, still only getting 90down on my PC 😠

I just want full speeds going to my devices that are wired. I shouldn't have to run my PC off Wi-Fi even though it is physically only 6 feet from the router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Have you ethernet connected directly to the modem with your wired PC with out the router in the mix?

Have you tested directly to the router with out any LAN switches in between the PC and router? 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

have you logged into to see what speeds the ports are connecting at? 

How do I display Internet port statistics on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If they're only connecting at 10/100mbps speeds and not gigabit, then try a short 6ft cat 6 cable. Maybe you're runs have issues on the connector ends or the cat 8 might be causing issues. I've seen devices not connect at gigabit with cat 8 because cat 8 tends to be a bit pickier with how well the connectors are made. 

Message 3 of 8
Macattack022
Aspirant

Firmware version = v1.4.3.88 (Tells me im up to date)

I believe it is this one ------Spectrum D3.1 eMTA DOCSIS 3.1 Advanced Voice Modem

Model = PC15

tried that, went directly from modem to my computer, still only 90 mbps

i've restarted these two many, many times in the past few weeks

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What does the connection rate show for the ethernet adapter on your PC when connected directly to the modem. If your only still getting 90Mbs directly connected at the modem, then the modem connection rate isn't working right or there is a problem at the PCs ethernet adapter. 

Ensure the ethernet adapter drivers are up to date. 

Ensure your using a good quality CAT6 LAN cable between the modem and PC. 

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

the benefit to that wan port statistics page I linked to is we can see if its the wan port (modem---router connection) or the lan port (router----computer) port that is connecting at the 100mbps link speed and not gigabit

Message 6 of 8
Macattack022
Aspirant

Macattack022_0-1662414193107.png

So it looks like only one of the ports is getting the full gig

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

try swapping the port that is connecting on gigabit speeds to a different port. See if it switches. If it switches to gigabit, then it isn't the router.  That'll narrow it for you to either a line or device issue. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7