× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Ax12 rebootin

Oliver4550
Aspirant

Nighthawk Ax12 rebootin

My Nighthawk Ax12 Rax 120 is always restarting something like 4 or 5 times when I am at home.
The firmware is updated.
I tried to go back to factory setup but doesnt change anything.
Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Ax12 rebootin

Message 2 of 17
jvillasenor7
Tutor

Hi Oliver, I am also experiencing the same issue with my RAX120v2.  I came from an X6S (7960P) which never gave me this issue.  I will give the beta firmware (x.x.x.43-rc) a try today and hopefully it resolves my issue. 

Message 3 of 17
jvillasenor7
Tutor

Hi @plemans - Has there been any positive feedback related to the beta firmware?  I noticed that my router status doesn't populate CPU loads and other information anymore.  I know it's beta and I'm willing to try anything at this point.  The performance is a step above my older router... just wish it was stable.  

Thanks,

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I've got lots of feedback from users in PMs after they got the beta that there RAX stop rebooting. Yes there is some items missing from the debug page however that should return when NG releases next FW version. No idea when that will be though.

Message 5 of 17
jvillasenor7
Tutor

I've installed the beta firmware since yesterday and I'm happy to say that it hasn't rebooted yet.  I'll continue to monitor and share my experience.  Would be good if others posted on their experiences with beta .43-rc!  Thanks again for all your contributions.

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 17
Oliver4550
Aspirant

I will try this BETA during the week-end. I will close the thread if it's solved the problem.

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 9 of 17
jvillasenor7
Tutor

Hey @FURRYe38 , happy to report that my device hasn't rebooted since installing Beta .43-rc (3 days now).  This isn't my thread so I'm not able to mark as solved.  However, this has introduced another issue.  My ethernet connections run off unmanaged switch (Netgear 8-Port Gigabit GS308) that connects to the RAX120v2.  With version .40 my PC and PS5 previously registered at 1000/baseT, but now they are 100/baseT.  My speedtests also confirm this as they would be at 900Mpbs but now are 80-90Mbps.  Are there any release notes or changes that are available for .43-rc beta that I can review to see if my ethernet speed reduction is an issue?

Thanks,

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What speed do you see with the wired PC connected to the back of the RAX120? Check both connection rate status on the PC and on the routers web page under Advanced Tab/Connection Status button. 

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended. 

You did factory reset the router after applying the beta FW and setup from scratch? 

What is the first 3 characters of the routers serial number in back of the router? 

@jvillasenor7 wrote:

Hey @FURRYe38 , happy to report that my device hasn't rebooted since installing Beta .43-rc (3 days now).  This isn't my thread so I'm not able to mark as solved.  However, this has introduced another issue.  My ethernet connections run off unmanaged switch (Netgear 8-Port Gigabit GS308) that connects to the RAX120v2.  With version .40 my PC and PS5 previously registered at 1000/baseT, but now they are 100/baseT.  My speedtests also confirm this as they would be at 900Mpbs but now are 80-90Mbps.  Are there any release notes or changes that are available for .43-rc beta that I can review to see if my ethernet speed reduction is an issue?

Thanks,

Message 11 of 17
jvillasenor7
Tutor

What speed do you see with the wired PC connected to the back of the RAX120? My properties shows 1000/1000 on my PC to RAX120.  Check both connection rate status on the PC and on the routers web page under Advanced Tab/Connection Status button.  Under Advanced -> Advanced Home -> Show Statistics -> LAN4 displays 1000M/Full

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6 cable CAT6 is recommended. This one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2VILDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

You did factory reset the router after applying the beta FW and setup from scratch? Yes 

What is the first 3 characters of the routers serial number in back of the router? 6JY

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

@jvillasenor7 wrote:

What speed do you see with the wired PC connected to the back of the RAX120? My properties shows 1000/1000 on my PC to RAX120.  Check both connection rate status on the PC and on the routers web page under Advanced Tab/Connection Status button.  Under Advanced -> Advanced Home -> Show Statistics -> LAN4 displays 1000M/Full

Whats the connection rate seen for the WAN port on the RAX to the ISP modem? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are you connecting the RAX to the ISP modem using the 1Gb WAN port or the multi gig port in back of the RAX router? 

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6 cable CAT6 is recommended. This one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2VILDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

You did factory reset the router after applying the beta FW and setup from scratch? Yes 

What is the first 3 characters of the routers serial number in back of the router? 6JY

Message 13 of 17
jvillasenor7
Tutor

What speed do you see with the wired PC connected to the back of the RAX120? My properties shows 1000/1000 on my PC to RAX120.  Check both connection rate status on the PC and on the routers web page under Advanced Tab/Connection Status button.  Under Advanced -> Advanced Home -> Show Statistics -> LAN4 displays 1000M/Full

Whats the connection rate seen for the WAN port on the RAX to the ISP modem? 1000M/Full  

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Arris, BGW210-700.  AT&T Fiber at 1Gb

Are you connecting the RAX to the ISP modem using the 1Gb WAN port or the multi gig port in back of the RAX router? Yes connecting RAX ISP modem using 1Gb Internet port.  Not using Multi-gig 

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6 cable CAT6 is recommended. This one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2VILDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

You did factory reset the router after applying the beta FW and setup from scratch? Yes 

What is the first 3 characters of the routers serial number in back of the router? 6JY

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Try option#2 first...

Also try the wired PC connected to the back of the ISP modem and run a speed test there as well. 

Message 15 of 17
jvillasenor7
Tutor

@FURRYe38 , Changed my modem to IP Passthrough still with no results.  I found the problem to be my unmanaged switch (a reboot fixed the issue).  Also, my router has restarted on it's own last night.  It's an improvement over the daily restarts, however still not where I want it to be.  I will mentioned that in California it reached 80 degrees and my router is in a closet (walk in closet with door open).  I placed my open palm on the top of the router and it felt pretty hot.  I've read other threads that say that these can restart due to thermal issues.  What do you recommend?

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend placing of these on under the router. I keep on always under any router I have online for 24/7 additional cooling.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FF5CRMD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

A good laptop fan cooler will work too.

@jvillasenor7 wrote:

@FURRYe38 , Changed my modem to IP Passthrough still with no results.  I found the problem to be my unmanaged switch (a reboot fixed the issue).  Also, my router has restarted on it's own last night.  It's an improvement over the daily restarts, however still not where I want it to be.  I will mentioned that in California it reached 80 degrees and my router is in a closet (walk in closet with door open).  I placed my open palm on the top of the router and it felt pretty hot.  I've read other threads that say that these can restart due to thermal issues.  What do you recommend?

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7