Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 the 5G Wifi keeps disconnecting - possible answer

grizmixstir
Initiate

Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 the 5G Wifi keeps disconnecting - possible answer

Well I just bought and set up a new Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 router, but during the first few days of use I noticed my phone frequently switching from the 5G wifi to the 2.4G wifi. So I started to investigate and found that the 5G kept disappearing from scans, on several devices. I checked the 5G light/button on the router and it was staying lit solid white. Then after many router setting configurations I feared that it might be defective so I swapped it for another one at the store before the exchange time could run out. I get home, I set it up, and it has the same problem, the 5G wifi keeps disconnecting!

I figured I'll check online, hoping for a solution. Now I wasn't willing to downgrade my firmware, version 1.0.11.116_10.2.100, as the original reason for getting a new router was for security reasons. Of the few other available options I found, when I tried the suggestion of changing channels it turned out that other channels did seem to make a difference but not a cure. I found that 153, my channel, was the worst with the most frequent disconnects, every few seconds, others getting progressively better each step away in either direction. With all the other networks in my neighborhood 153 was the best choice for mine. So...

After more digging through the interface some more I finally found a setting for "beamforming" that is enabled by default. I tried disabling it and low and behold, I now have a rock solid 5G connection!

To find this setting, use the web interface not the Nighthawk app. Use the advanced settings by selecting the Advanced tab at the top. Next click the Advanced Settings selection on the left side, under that click on Wireless Settings. Now in the window on the right, scroll down and look for the second from the bottom option that says "Enable implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices". Uncheck its box, then scroll back to the top and click the Apply button. After the system applies the new setting you will hopefully have the same positive results that I've had. Good luck.

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 the 5G Wifi keeps disconnecting - possible answer

A couple things. 

1. If you're still within your return period, it might be an idea. That router was released in 2013. Its a older AC device. It was still a pretty solid router but its not a new device. 

2. The latest firmware is 1.0.11.136.  It might be worth upgrading as I've seen less reports of issues on that firmware. 

Message 2 of 3
grizmixstir
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 the 5G Wifi keeps disconnecting - possible answer

Thank you for the info Plemans, under normal circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to try the firmware option, but I certainly was not aware that this router was that old. Not for nothing but, I've only upgraded to a Android phone just over a year ago from a old Windows 8 phone, for various reasons, and I thought that in computer years that was ancient so... I'm out!

I will take what's behind door number one please.

So thanks to you for getting that info to me in time, I did go for the return option. I've since purchased an AX2400 WiFi 6 and will have to wait and see how that goes. It specs out more powerful and faster, well when I get other faster equipment to keep up with it I suppose. The range should be on par with the R7000 if not better. And, get this, it actually saved me 50 bucks!

The only issue I've run into is that it doesn't see my old portable hard drive when I plug it into the usb port. Not the routers fault I feel as the drive is even more ancient than the R7000 and my old phone together. Eh, what ever, I guess that's the price we pay for progress.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7