Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 - No antenas, no wifi, how to access configuration?

OGCryptor
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 - No antenas, no wifi, how to access configuration?

Hi,

My kid thought it woudl be a good idea to unscrew the antennas of our Nighthawk R7000 router & loose them.  Not that we ever use Wi-Fi (everything is wired in) but it appears that all instructions in regards to logging in and configuring it are through app or PC that is on thesame wifi network.  I accessed it by IP earlier, downloaded the updated firmware and attempted to flash it.  The router works just fine ( in fact appears to be much better now since NAT type on our Xboxes is now open) but I am no longer able to access it through the IP.   

Are there instructions anywhere on how I can reset this to factor settings & how to log into it without WiFi?  Also, do I need to buy new antennas or am I OK like it is (I don;t use it for wifi).

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000 - No antenas, no wifi, how to access configuration?

If you don't use the wifi, you don't need the antennas. you can even disable the wifi if you'd like. there a hardware button that you can click to disable wifi. 

In terms of the rest of what you put, a little clarification is needed. 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Are you using it in router mode or access point mode? 

Where are you getting the IP address from? 

It shouldn't matter if you're hardwired in or on wireless, the IP address should allow you to connect to it and access it. Provided there isn't any nat issues going on and that your using the correct IP address. 

Message 2 of 3
OGCryptor
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 - No antenas, no wifi, how to access configuration?

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

It's connected (by ethernet cable) to port on a Telus (https://www.telus.com/, it's a Western Canadian service provider) modem.  Specifically the T3200M model (https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/troubleshoot-boost-wifi-actiontec-t3200m).  What I am trying to connect to is the Netgear router though, I am not going through the modem in order to make this connection.

Are you using it in router mode or access point mode? 

router mode, no changes to standard setup.

Where are you getting the IP address from? 

I am sorry I am confused what you are asking.  My IP service provider issues Ip for my residence / connection point.  Beyond that subnet adressess are issued by the modem I assume.  I have not changed any default settings on any piece of equipment.  

UPDATE: In the process of testing things I discovered that I can only access my router under IP http://10.0.0.1/  I was able to log in and everything seems to work now.

One question left - If I want to turn Wi-Fi back on, does last of the antennas have a detrimental effect on the wifi signal?  Will it matter?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7