Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Slow WiFi speed

Punksonic
Tutor

I felt the same way and after restarting it, getting new cables, and playing around with the settings, I finally bit the bullet and went out and bought their main competitors router. Let me tell you, the quality is 100 percent better and I have had stable and fast internet ever since. It is sad because I have owned multiple Netgear routers in the last 20 years.
Message 26 of 56
Franchester
Tutor

Unfortunately. I agree. The only true fix is to throw the night hawk in the garbage and purchase a router from a different company. I too have only bought Netgear products in the past but not anymore. I'll never buy a Netgear device again.
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 27 of 56
frataplawi
Aspirant

I've shut down 5Ghz and work only on 2.4Ghz and the router seems much more stable.

Even if it's not an acceptable solution it keeps speed at least at a certain level.

I just wonder if anybody else has tried that.

Message 28 of 56
rreszler
Aspirant

I am having the same issue as soon as I updated to the latest by wifi went from awesome to unusable and I have tried everything.  I update every time and have notfications turned on so that I do so right away and it just started as soon as I went to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44

Message 29 of 56
hupchurch
Aspirant

I've had issues since the last upgrade. Yesterday, my router quit allowing internet to come through to the devices. Discovered there was another firmware update. Now none of  my devices show it as being an option for wireless connection. Hard wired works fine. I never had any trouble until the last 2 firmware updates. I think mine is about to go into the garbage can & I'm going to try another brand of router. Pretty sad you spend a small fortune for a piece of junk after a few firmware updates.

I see some talking about downgrading the firmware, how do you do that?

Message 30 of 56
ezone
Star

Dowgrade didn't help me and am still waiting for a solution...
Message 31 of 56
rreszler
Aspirant

Same here, it only helped a little by turning off the smart wifi, it was really terrible on that and I had been using that feature for many months and it worked great.  It seems to me like they lowered the power on the radio chips and downgrading doesnt affect this.  It shows its at 100% transmission but that's only believe the software settings.  I can tell the radios are turned down quite a bit, I even went a bought one of the new repeaters and its not helping of course.

Message 32 of 56
ezone
Star

After a software upgrade to latest software it all suddenly starts to work . I started with my bridge and after i'v seen it work well on that one i also installed it to my main router and got amazing wifi speed . 416 Mbits down and 136 Mbits up and i'v got a 500 / 100 connection.

Message 33 of 56
antinode
Guru

> After a software upgrade to latest software [...]

As always, an actual version number would be more useful than your
opinion of what's "latest" today.

Message 34 of 56
JohnWill
Tutor

Well I guess they mean the new one - V1.0.9.42_10.2.44

Saw the post and did a speed test on the 2.4GHz and could only get 40Mbps a couple of metres away from the router, updated and repeated test and it was around 110Mbps.  I've now re-enabled the 5GHz radio which I'd disabled as it was hopeless - speed test is giving me 217Mbps (wired is around 220Mbps download) so hopefully it's sorted now.

As long as I'm getting decent wireless speeds now I'll be very careful about routinely updating to the latest firmware again - I was ready to reolace this router with an alternative to solve the issue.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 35 of 56
ezone
Star

Yes thats the version im running but ill se if it is still stable after running it for some weeks.
Message 36 of 56
rreszler
Aspirant

Unfortunately for me that is the version that started all my troubles. V1.0.9.42_10.2.44

Message 37 of 56
t18c97
Tutor

Add me to the list of slow WiFi customers. I'm running V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 on two R7000's, one running as an AP. Used to get 200Mbps/22Mbps speeds, now 15-20Mbps downloads on both 2G and 5G networks, hardwired connection just fine. I've tried WMM and QoS on/off, no difference. Between this and the VPN not worrking issue if I didn't have almost $400 invested in this hardware I'd be on Amazon ordering something from another company, but they've get me by the gonads, don't have the money at the moment to replace things. Very disappointed on how Netgear isn't fixing this stuff.

Message 38 of 56
rreszler
Aspirant

One thing is for sure this post should not be marked as solved!

Message 39 of 56
ezone
Star

I started the thread i my problems are solved.
But if ppl still got issue then by all means not solved.
Message 40 of 56
HisGrace
Guide

I am having the exact same issue.  What is the fix?

Message 41 of 56
Derickm
Tutor

Last night I uploaded the latest firmware, V1.0.9.42_10.2.44., to both of my R7000's.

I got mixed results, and they are just as puzzleing as the previous 'sort of' works versions.

Router One: 5G now working without going to zero (off), but the signal is limited and hovers between marginal bad and marginal good.

Router Two: When 5G works, it puts a curl in the needle.  (For the young and new to the field, old analog meters could bang the 'stop' post so hard that they curled the needle at the end.)  But, as before, it stops (zeros out) and starts on a regular basis.  It is therefore still unusable as a 5G WiFi source.

Keep trying Netgear..... and remember to listen to the odd ball guy who keeps trying to tell you what you are doing wrong!

There's alway one!

Message 42 of 56
ramzusa
Aspirant

I am having the same issue with V1.0.9.42_10.2.44. Before the updated I was getting 400 mbps, now getting between 20 and 30 mbps. This is both for wired and wireless. 

When I am directly connected to ISP I am consistently getting 400 mbps.

Has anyone found a solution? Is there a stable FW that I can downgrade too that will resolve this issue?

Message 43 of 56
t18c97
Tutor

@ramzusa wrote:

I am having the same issue with V1.0.9.42_10.2.44. Before the updated I was getting 400 mbps, now getting between 20 and 30 mbps. This is both for wired and wireless. 

When I am directly connected to ISP I am consistently getting 400 mbps.

Has anyone found a solution? Is there a stable FW that I can downgrade too that will resolve this issue?

Checked this week and there is a V1.0.9.58_10.2.58 now showing up. Did the update and my speeds are back and the VPN appears to be also working again.

Message 44 of 56
ramzusa
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion.

I updated FW to V1.0.9.58_10.2.58, factory reset and then reconfigured.

However, this did not resolve my issue. DL speeds are between 20 and 30 mbps (wired and wireless).

When connected directly to ISP modem, am getting 400 mbps.

Message 45 of 56
t18c97
Tutor

Sorry it’s not working for you. I have 200Mbps service and getting that or a bit higher on the 5G side.

Message 46 of 56
Customer-X
Star

I have solved this problem. I bought a TP-Link and donated my R7000 to a homeless center.

Message 47 of 56
ramzusa
Aspirant

I found a work around. That seems to be working.

I'm using the R7000 as an access point behind and Spectrum Wave 2 router. I put an old D-Link DIR-827 between the Spectrum Wave 2 and the R7000 and got the speeds back. Definitely strange that this works. I tried removing the D-Link thinking that something else may have fixed the issue and the slow speeds returned. I put the D-Link in the middle again and the speeds are 400 mbps plus.

I do not know why this works. Something most be imcompatiblee between the Spectrum Wave 2 and the R7000.

I'll leave it like this for now.

Message 48 of 56
turdfursgon
Initiate

Im on old firmware ,  if i got to the latest it crashes i have to reboot factory rest this router is a peace of crap

Message 49 of 56
poogy
Aspirant

I have the same issue. Will run fine for a few hours than suddenly I get a quarter of the speed when using the WIFI. Wired connections are not affected. Can you please address this, is there any log or stats that would help you? It's a serious issue. Currently a router costing half of the price will perform way better.

Thanks,

Firmware: V1.3.1.44_10.1.23

Message 50 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7