Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 and Readyshare USB issues.....

Vimes
Star

Nighthawk R7000 and Readyshare USB issues.....

Hi

I have a R7000 router and have tried to use the Readyshare function.

I am on the latest beta firmware version V1.0.5.60_1.1.86

I have just performed a hard reset of the router and entered my details in from fresh, no restore used.

Problem....

I decided to buy a small sized USB 3 stick to use in the front USB 3 port of the router, being positioned at the ront a normal sized stick has the potential to be knocked etc. This is the stick (bought 2) that I bought....

https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/usb-flash/ultra-fit-usb

I bought two 64GB versions.

Each have been formatted in NTFS

Either of them work fine in the USB 2 port on the rear.

Neither of them are detected or work on the front USB 3 port.

I have a Jeflash USB 3 stick which is 8GB and that works fine on the front USB 3 port....

http://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-378

I have a Lexar 32GB USB 3 stick which will not work on the front port but works fine on the rear USB 2 port.

I have a generic non branded 64GB USB 3 stick which will not work on the front USB 3 port but  again works fine on the rear port.

Any ideas as to why the front USB 3 port is so tempremental with wha twill or will not work, specifically I would like the Sandisk small USB 3 sticks to work on the router, tha tis why I just bought them.

As noted they work great on the rear ports and on all other devices.

I have already hard reset the router.

Thanks

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Vimes
Star

Re: Nighthawk R7000 and Readyshare USB issues.....

Thanks for that 🙂

Actually I have managed to just resolve it....

Some USB sticks go too far into the slot and thus their contacts are not making a connection with those on the USB 3 port.

Those Sandisk sticks that I linked are typical. Push the stick all the way in, no force needed, and then it will not display as having a stick installed. Pull the stick out about 2mm or so and then it gets picked up. For those sticks that my router does not see it then will if they are slightly retracted.

Strange as they work fine on the rear port when located in all the way. But at least it is a working solution.

You make a good point about compatibility, I have yet to try my SSD, which is held in a USB 3 enclsure, - it works fine like that on my Raspberry Pi.

My only issue now is with DLNA content being picked up by TV's etc if they are not directly connected to the router. If ran through a switch I'm guessing it will depend how good the TV etc is at working with multiple MAC devices etc.

Thanks again 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
thelemonkid
Luminary

Did you look at the compatibility guide? When I look at it, I cannot find that they are... This seems to be a surprise because most of the time you think that USB is USB and that those devices that have them can be combined. But that's sadly not true.

If you resolved your problem that's fine but it maybe that they're not compatible.

Message 2 of 3
Vimes
Star

Thanks for that 🙂

Actually I have managed to just resolve it....

Some USB sticks go too far into the slot and thus their contacts are not making a connection with those on the USB 3 port.

Those Sandisk sticks that I linked are typical. Push the stick all the way in, no force needed, and then it will not display as having a stick installed. Pull the stick out about 2mm or so and then it gets picked up. For those sticks that my router does not see it then will if they are slightly retracted.

Strange as they work fine on the rear port when located in all the way. But at least it is a working solution.

You make a good point about compatibility, I have yet to try my SSD, which is held in a USB 3 enclsure, - it works fine like that on my Raspberry Pi.

My only issue now is with DLNA content being picked up by TV's etc if they are not directly connected to the router. If ran through a switch I'm guessing it will depend how good the TV etc is at working with multiple MAC devices etc.

Thanks again 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7