Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 attached devices list

Koopee
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 attached devices list

I searched for help to a problem, where the attached devices list was nearly empty. Below is one discussion about it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-not-showing-or-allowing-control-of-all...

I found a solution at least for my situation. I had configured several devices for a certain fixed IP addresses. I also had the DHCP assigning addresses from that same range. When I moved all my fixed IP devices under .100 and then configured the DCHP to auto assign addresses from .100 onwards, the list seems to work better now.

I would have replied to one of those, but those discussions were not open anymore.

Message 1 of 5

Good idea!

Occasionally, a wireless device (e.g. a computer) wakes up from sleep and tries to use the IP that it had before going to sleep, but the router's DHCP already assigned that IP to a different device. Now two devices fight for the same IP!

I think those devices capable of going to sleep and prone to sticking to pre-sleep IP would better be served with a fixed IP from a range that is separate from the dynamically assigned IP range.

Message 2 of 5

@Concerned-user wrote:

I think those devices capable of going to sleep and prone to sticking to pre-sleep IP would better be served with a fixed IP from a range that is separate from the dynamically assigned IP range.

Another approach for some devices could be to fix the IP address on the device where that is possible.

That is not the same as Address Reservations on the router.

Message 3 of 5
Koopee
Tutor

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Concerned-user wrote:

Another approach for some devices could be to fix the IP address on the device where that is possible.

That is not the same as Address Reservations on the router.

Yes, that could also work. So far I have liked to use the method of using DHCP and then letting the DHCP server to assign the addresses, as it is relatively simple from the web interface. This way the devices (for example my laptop, printer, nas) will work in my network in the address I choose. And in another networks I almost always need not know or care about the assignments.

Message 4 of 5

@Koopee wrote:

So far I have liked to use the method of using DHCP and then letting the DHCP server to assign the addresses, as it is relatively simple from the web interface. This way the devices (for example my laptop, printer, nas) will work in my network in the address I choose.

Not sure that I follow what "this way" is there, but I find that fixing the IP address on a device is good when I want to have a quick way into things like access points, printers and network attached storage (NAS) boxes, stuff with it own browser graphical user interface (GUI).

You could combine that with an Address Reservations window as also suggested.

As always, experiment is the solution, as @Concerned-user suggests.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7