Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 drops 5 Ghz and has speed problems

LostInCleveland
Follower

Nighthawk R7000 drops 5 Ghz and has speed problems

I know this is an old topic, but just wanted comments that were recent.  I have the latest firmware v1.0.11.126_10.2.112 but it keeps dropping 5g.  I use a Netgear AC1900 adapter on a Windows 10 desktop that's 10-15 feet from the router.  I see people talking about downgrading to "more stable" versions but where are you getting the file from?  It seems dangerous to grab it from some random site.

I have ATT internet.  The modem is in my basement.  I have an ethernet cable up to the second floor where my Nighthawk is.  I do this because the ATT router with WIFI doesn't reach to the upstairs bedrooms well.  I rarely have problems with the 2.4 ghz band.

Oddly, my speed test on the Nighthawk 5g is slower than when connected to the ATT 5g down in the basement.  At this point, I'm just turning off the Nighthawk 5g radio and using the ATT 5g.  I will just use the Nighthawk 2.4 for the bedrooms

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000 drops 5 Ghz and has speed problems

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.

Try option #2 first.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Smart Connect, Beamforming and MIMO all enabled. 

WPA2 and AES only. 

Message 2 of 4

You have answered your own question really. Just join these two statements,

@LostInCleveland wrote:

I have ATT internet.  The modem is in my basement. 

Oddly, my speed test on the Nighthawk 5g is slower than when connected to the ATT 5g down in the basement.  At this point, I'm just turning off the Nighthawk 5g radio and using the ATT 5g.  I will just use the Nighthawk 2.4 for the bedrooms

The second bit tells us that you have two routers. A bad idea.

What is double NAT and why is it bad? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Fix that and see what happens to the 5 GHz wifi.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

You're also actually behind on the firmware. 1.11.136 is the latest. 

Nighthawk R7000 | AC1900 Smart WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

and if you do decide to downgrade, you don't have to get it from a random site. Go to the downloads on the r7000 support site and click on "view previous versions" and you can download it. 

The r7000 has responded favorably to factory resets after changing firmwares. Might be something to consider as well. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7