Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Re: Nighthawk R7000 reliable problems

BizBit
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 reliable problems

Hi,

 

I have had a NetGear Nighthawk R7000 since 2016, it have worked well! But now there is a couple of problems.

It started with all devices losing connection to the router from time to time. I found this in the log : 

 

DoS attack: Smurf] (1) attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [192.168.1.X], Tuesday, Jan 17,2023 11:23:33

 

This was due to Homey and probably a problem that can be ignored in this case.

I also notice this reoccurring every 10 min : 

 

[Time synchronized with NTP server]
[Internet connected] IP address: x.x.x.x, Thursday, Jan 19,2023 07:21:33

 

No [Internet disconnected].

 

The network is unstable but works for the most part, from time to time it aborts file streaming\copy over network and sometimes it blocks all communication. When this happens the router is unreachable which last about 10-30 min if I don't restart it manually.

 

The router is connected to a Netgear ProSafe Plus GS116Ev2 that is connected to several Netgear ProSafe GS108 and "devices". The Netgear ProSafe Plus GS116Ev2 is also connected to a Internet modem(fiber). 

 

The current firmware of the router is V1.0.9.88. The router use both its Wifi but there is about as many wired connected devices as wireless. Router uses DHCP but there is some devices that got static IP, there is also a couple of opened ports but nothing else.

 

So is this router on its way out or is there anything we can do to fix this?

Message 1 of 11
Kitsap
Master

Re: Nighthawk R7000 reliable problems


@BizBit wrote:

Hi,

 

I have had a NetGear Nighthawk R7000 since 2016, it have worked well! But now there is a couple of problems.

It started with all devices losing connection to the router from time to time. I found this in the log : 

 

DoS attack: Smurf] (1) attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [192.168.1.X], Tuesday, Jan 17,2023 11:23:33

 

This was due to Homey and probably a problem that can be ignored in this case.

I also notice this reoccurring every 10 min : 

 

[Time synchronized with NTP server]
[Internet connected] IP address: x.x.x.x, Thursday, Jan 19,2023 07:21:33

 

No [Internet disconnected].

 

The network is unstable but works for the most part, from time to time it aborts file streaming\copy over network and sometimes it blocks all communication. When this happens the router is unreachable which last about 10-30 min if I don't restart it manually.

 

The router is connected to a Netgear ProSafe Plus GS116Ev2 that is connected to several Netgear ProSafe GS108 and "devices". The Netgear ProSafe Plus GS116Ev2 is also connected to a Internet modem(fiber). 

 

The current firmware of the router is V1.0.9.88. The router use both its Wifi but there is about as many wired connected devices as wireless. Router uses DHCP but there is some devices that got static IP, there is also a couple of opened ports but nothing else.

 

So is this router on its way out or is there anything we can do to fix this?


Based on your configuration, it appears you have two devices on your LAN attempting to perform routing functions at the same time.  What is the brand name and model number of your fiber internet modem?  Does it have multiple Ethernet output ports?

 

If your R7000 is configured as a router, one option is to configure it as an access point.  There are other configuration options.

 

Agree your R7000 is getting a little long in the tooth.  Replacing it will not improve your configuration issues.

 

 

My setup: Xfinity -> Netgear CM2050V -> Netgear R9000 (Voxel V1.0.4.71.1HF)

Message 2 of 11
BizBit
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 reliable problems

Yes, sorry, the fiber modem is connected directly to the router(Nighthawk R7000) and then the router is connected to the larger switch. 

I will try to factory reset and update the Nighthawk R7000  and see if that helps.

Message 3 of 11
Kitsap
Master

Re: Nighthawk R7000 reliable problems


@BizBit wrote:

Yes, sorry, the fiber modem is connected directly to the router(Nighthawk R7000) and then the router is connected to the larger switch. 

I will try to factory reset and update the Nighthawk R7000  and see if that helps.


Be sure and do a manual firmware update.

 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

 

It is still possible your fiber modem is a combination modem/router device.

My setup: Xfinity -> Netgear CM2050V -> Netgear R9000 (Voxel V1.0.4.71.1HF)

Message 4 of 11

Re: Nighthawk R7000 reliable problems


@BizBit wrote:

Yes, sorry, the fiber modem is connected directly to the router(Nighthawk R7000) 


And that fiber modem is? Make and model?

 

 

 

 

Just another user with a set of boilerplate macros.

My network DM200 -> MK93; R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> R7000P
Message 5 of 11
BizBit
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 reliable problems

The fiber modem is a CTS HES-3106 and port LAN1 is connected to the Netgear WAN port. I tried to logon to the CTS modem but I have no username or password, I suspect that this is managed by my operator. It seems like the info would be noted on the back of the unit but I don't know how sensitive the fiber connection is, I do not want to mess with it.

 

Anyway, I find it strange if the fiber modem could act like a DHCP on the router´s LAN while the router also provide DHCP and the fact that the modem is connected to the WAN port on the router.

Message 6 of 11

Re: Nighthawk R7000 reliable problems


@BizBit wrote:

The fiber modem is a CTS HES-3106 and port LAN1 is connected to the Netgear WAN port.

The only thing that Google shows for that is a HES-3106 Managed Ethernet CPE Switch.

 

michaelkenward_0-1674153422345.jpeg

 

That isn't a modem. It is a switch.

 


Anyway, I find it strange if the fiber modem could act like a DHCP on the router´s LAN while the router also provide DHCP and the fact that the modem is connected to the WAN port on the router.

Some modems are really modem/routers. Rare is the day when someone turns up here saying "modem" when they really mean "modem/router". That is why you were asked for the model number of your "modem".

 

Fiber "modems" are less likely to be combined dev8ces, but who n0ws what your ISP has provided?

 

If you have a switch in your network, then the order of things should be

 

modem >> router >> switch >> network

Just another user with a set of boilerplate macros.

My network DM200 -> MK93; R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> R7000P
Message 7 of 11
BizBit
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 reliable problems

You are correct, it's a broadband switch that the lokal fiber network company have installed. I have connected laptop computer to this before to troubleshoot but there have never really been any problems with it. It is as I said connected to the WAN port on the Netgear router so I would expect the netgear router to block the switch DHCP server.

 

According to the provided guides with the broadband switch you can connect a computer or a Wifi router to any of the LAN ports. 

 

---------

 

I have no done a factory reset, then downloaded and installed the latest firmware manually. I have added a couple of settings like, wifi password, static ip to some devices and a open port, nothing more really.

 

Besides a lot of DHCP requests I can see that the exact same problem persists, so no luck.

 

to clarify, its connected as the provider suggests : Broadband Switch > Router > Switch > Devices\more Switches

Message 8 of 11

Re: Nighthawk R7000 reliable problems


@BizBit wrote:

You are correct, it's a broadband switch that the lokal fiber network company have installed.

Who knows what goes on with "exotic" networks like that. Most people turn up with simple systems of the modem/gateway/ONT variety.

 

The best people to ask about adding a router to their network is the ISP that inflicted this arrangement on you.

 

 

 

Just another user with a set of boilerplate macros.

My network DM200 -> MK93; R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> R7000P
Message 9 of 11
BizBit
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 reliable problems

Okay, so the summary is that the "[DoS attack: Smurf] (6) attack packets in last 20 sec" that triggers every 15 min can be ignored, have nothing to do with slowdown or denial of service.

 

The [Internet connected] followed by the [Time synchronized with NTP server] that triggers every 10 min on the other hand could be the real problem. If so then it's probably the broadband switch that are connected on the router WAN port that inflict it. If so, why is the R7000 not accessible from time to time, not even by wire? I would understand that we lose internet if there is a problem with the broadband switch but why would this make the R7000 unavailable as well? There is also no trace of R7000 restarting, it just suddenly work again.

Message 10 of 11

Re: Nighthawk R7000 reliable problems

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

 

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

 

Use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

 

Here is a useful tool for that task:

 

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

 

If these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs. Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

 

Just another user with a set of boilerplate macros.

My network DM200 -> MK93; R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> R7000P
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1393 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7