Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 throttling hardwired speeds

lamboman2008
Initiate

Nighthawk R7000 throttling hardwired speeds

Hi everyone,

I pay for gig-speed internet, delivered via an ONT installed on the exterior of the house. From the ONT, we have a CAT6 Ethernet cable fed into the media cabinet, where it is connected to a Netgear R7000 router (firmware version: V1.0.11.106_10.2.100; no new versions showing via the router's GUI. Also, the router shows 1000M/Full to all LANs under Internet Port Statistics). The router is connected to a Netgear PoE switch (GS305PP), a Netgear switch (GS324v2), and an NVR. The GS305PP is connected to 3x Netgear WAC540 WAPs. The GS324v2 is connected to 21x CAT6 lines spread around the house. The WiFi on the R7000 was disabled because handoff between the WAPs to the router was quite poor, so the router is essentially working as a switch (except not really). I've attached a schematic of the setup to this post.

I also have a GS305Pv2 which is currently not in use, but could be brought into service if needed.

The other day, I noticed that we were only getting 95mbps up/down (via Ethernet to the GS324v2 switch). If I repeat the test plugged into the R7000 router, I still only get about 95mbps up/down. If, however, I repeat the test with the feed line plugged directly into my laptop (or with the feed line plugged into the spare switch and the laptop as the only device plugged into the other end of that switch), I get the full gig-speed that I should be getting, so the problem definitely isn't on the ISP's side (as far as I can tell).

Other things I've tried to no avail:

• Resetting the R7000 to factory settings. No improvement.
  • Cycling QoS on/off/on/off on the R7000 per this thread. No improvement.
  • Disconnected all devices from the router and plugged a laptop in directly. No improvement.
  • Connected the spare switch to the router and moved all the other connections to the router to the switch. No improvement.
  • Remove the router from the equation altogether and replace it with the spare GS305Pv2 switch. (I knew from an old comment on Reddit that this wouldn't work; something about WAN vs. LAN ports, but I don't really understand why it doesn't work at all, especially since it's fine if the laptop is the only thing connected to the switch.)

Why is my R7000 throttling LAN speeds to ~10% of the WAN speed and what can I do to fix it? I can't think of anything else to try. Any help, ideas, and suggestions would be massively appreciated!

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000 throttling hardwired speeds

did you check the wan statistics page when its set at 95mbps? Sounds like its defaulting to 10/100mbps connections. 

Did you try swapping cables? I've seen cables that'll work at gigabit speeds on some devices but not others? 

(There is a newer firmware version for that model. But the auto-update server for the r7000's never been that great)

Message 2 of 5
lamboman2008
Initiate

@plemans Thanks for the comment. I just updated the firmware manually to V1.0.11.134_10.2.119. Also, the Internet statistics page shows Gig/Full for the WAN and all three connected LAN ports, see attached. (I assume this is what you were referring to).

I'll get a new cable and see if I can at least use it for testing purposes. Hopefully that's what it is and that it's one of the cables connecting the router to the switches, because rewiring the whole home would be... a less than desirable task to perform.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

It sounds like you've tested with a laptop directly connected to the router? (try a couple devices)
when you're testing that, check the statistics page to ensure its connecting properly. 

Also, watch the polling time. maybe it's connecting at gigabit at times and 10/100mbps at other. 

I've seen more issues with cables lately causing link speeds to drop to 10/100mbps and the 95mbps is pretty much right on with what you'd get at that connection. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do you have Armor, Circle or Traffic meter enabled by chance? 

What CAT# LAN cables are you using? CAT6 is recommended. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-134-Releas...

@lamboman2008 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I pay for gig-speed internet, delivered via an ONT installed on the exterior of the house. From the ONT, we have a CAT6 Ethernet cable fed into the media cabinet, where it is connected to a Netgear R7000 router (firmware version: V1.0.11.106_10.2.100; no new versions showing via the router's GUI. Also, the router shows 1000M/Full to all LANs under Internet Port Statistics). The router is connected to a Netgear PoE switch (GS305PP), a Netgear switch (GS324v2), and an NVR. The GS305PP is connected to 3x Netgear WAC540 WAPs. The GS324v2 is connected to 21x CAT6 lines spread around the house. The WiFi on the R7000 was disabled because handoff between the WAPs to the router was quite poor, so the router is essentially working as a switch (except not really). I've attached a schematic of the setup to this post.

I also have a GS305Pv2 which is currently not in use, but could be brought into service if needed.

The other day, I noticed that we were only getting 95mbps up/down (via Ethernet to the GS324v2 switch). If I repeat the test plugged into the R7000 router, I still only get about 95mbps up/down. If, however, I repeat the test with the feed line plugged directly into my laptop (or with the feed line plugged into the spare switch and the laptop as the only device plugged into the other end of that switch), I get the full gig-speed that I should be getting, so the problem definitely isn't on the ISP's side (as far as I can tell).

Other things I've tried to no avail:

• Resetting the R7000 to factory settings. No improvement.
  • Cycling QoS on/off/on/off on the R7000 per this thread. No improvement.
  • Disconnected all devices from the router and plugged a laptop in directly. No improvement.
  • Connected the spare switch to the router and moved all the other connections to the router to the switch. No improvement.
  • Remove the router from the equation altogether and replace it with the spare GS305Pv2 switch. (I knew from an old comment on Reddit that this wouldn't work; something about WAN vs. LAN ports, but I don't really understand why it doesn't work at all, especially since it's fine if the laptop is the only thing connected to the switch.)

Why is my R7000 throttling LAN speeds to ~10% of the WAN speed and what can I do to fix it? I can't think of anything else to try. Any help, ideas, and suggestions would be massively appreciated!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7