Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 won't keep iPhones on 5ghz band

mattand
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 won't keep iPhones on 5ghz band

Just got a new R7000 Nighthawk to replace the Verizon-supplied Fios router. I'm paying for 200/200, but routinely get 300/300 on most devices, wired and wireless. Overall the router is great and for less than $100, it'll pay for itself in 6.5 months vs renting Verizon's one.*

Which is where the "problem" comes in. I set up Smart Connect and most 5ghz-capable devices are locking into that: iPad, TV, PS4, etc. The problem is we have two iPhones that can connect to 5ghz, but keep bouncing between that and 2.4 ghz.

One is an XR running iOS 15.1; the other is an iPhone 11 running iOS 14-point-whatever the latest update is. We've tried Forget Network Settings and re-logging in, but that hans't fixed anything. During the day, either phone will connect 5ghz and get 300/300 and then a few hours later, it will re-connect to 2.4ghz and "only" get 70/70.

The router is running the latest firmware. We only have around five devices hitting 5ghz, so it's not like that band is crowded. 

One forum poster indicated that as his iPhone used more data, the R7000 "learned" that it should be on 5ghz. Another tried downgrading the firmware. Another person said to kill Smart Connect altogether.

Obviously, this is a first world problem and not the end of the world, but is there any way to force the phones and/or the router to stick to 5ghz? Any help is appreicated.

*If the Verizon router, the G3100, had been $150 instead of $300, I would have bought that instead of the Netgear. I used it for a few days and it seemed pretty decent. It had its own version of Smart Connect, and I wasn't running into the iPhone problem I have now. It was also Wifi 6 vs the Nighthawk's Wifi 5, so I'm not sure if that's playing into my problem.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable the 2.4Ghz radio on the router leaving the 5Ghz radio ON? 

It's up to devices to pick and choose which frequency they connect too...

Message 2 of 8
mattand
Tutor

Hey, Furry,

Thanks for the response. I’m hesitant to try that right now, mainly because I have a Harmony Hub that was a bear to reactivate when I switched the network over to Smart Connect.It is definitely a good idea, though, and I will try it at some point. Thanks for reaching out.
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 4 of 8
Rubberman_
Guide

you said the iphones keep connecting between th 2.4 and 5ghz bands. Why did you even connect it to the 2.4 band? on my home network i have all iphones and ipads only connecting to the 5ghz band. If i have to set up smart devices and plugs i will use the iphone to connect to the 2.4 band but after that i tell the iphone to forget that 2.4 network cause i only want it on the 5ghz network. 

Message 5 of 8
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@mattand  I too have an XR and so does the Wife, both at iOS15.1. We don't use smart connect at all, 20 wireless devices connected, iPhones stay connected to 5ghz band.

I've also set up Guest networks, specifically for iot devices/dishwasher etc.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 8
mattand
Tutor

@Rubberman_ 

Not sure if you missed this in the original post, I'm not deliberately putting the phones on the 2.4ghz band. I turned on SmartConnect and let the router and phones figure it out themselves, which is resutling in the band hopping. If there's a way for SC to force a device to use one network over the other, I'm not seeing it. 

In what will probably be your next question, I have SC on because I have a Harmony Hub that is 2.4ghz only. In order for the phones to control the hub, they all have to be on the same network. I can't do that if SC is off and I have the phone Matt's Network 5ghz and the hub on Matt's Network 2.5ghz.

The Fios router was not giving me sh*t about this. Its version of SmartConnect worked seemlessly with the hub right out of the box.

In aswer to your probable "Why aren't you dumping the hub" question : I'm using the Harmony because we're controling multiple devices in our AV setup. The Harmony is still the best solution for right now. 

Hope that covers everything.

Message 7 of 8
mattand
Tutor

@Portwey84 

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned above, we're using a Harmony hub that is 2.4ghz only. For the phones to work with that, it and the phones all have to be on the same network for them to work together. I'm holding on to that for now until I can come up with a better smart remote solution, as we have multiple devices in our AV setup.

Like I said, what's disappointing is that the Fios router (which I would imaging a lot of Netgear fans would turn their noses up at) has its own verison of SmartConnect and it worked great. The phones would connect to the hub while still pulling 300/300.

I was hoping that SC would allow me to get those speeds while still working with the Harmony, as everything was techincially on the same network.

I've wasted a lot of time in the fourms trying to see if there's a way in SmartConnect to force a device to stay on a specific band. If there is, I'm not seeing it.

Appreicate the response.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7