Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000P and Starlink

aliaa
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000P and Starlink

We recently installed Starlink gen 2 but need to keep our home wireless system for various reasons. My attempts to use our existing Nighthawk R7000P router with the Starlink router in bypass mode were not successful. Can anyone give any advice about what I need to to do to get it running smoothly? I'm guessing there must be some setting/s that need to be changed in the router, but I'm not very tech savvy and need some very simple guidance. TYIA

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

my understanding of the gen 2 starlink router is that it doesn't have an ethernet port. 

Did you buy an adapter for it? 

Are you putting the netgear in access point mode when you hardwire into it? 

Message 2 of 6
aliaa
Aspirant

Thanks for you reply. Yes, I do have the ethernet adaptor. When the adaptor is being used, the Starlink router is put into bypass mode, so I think I need my current Netgear to still be used as a router rather than an access point. From what I've seen online, it seems as if it should be quite simple: the Starlink router is taking the place of my useless Australian NBN satellite dish and everything else stays the same with the Starlink router being bypassed. But it's not working for me and I can't find any information relevant to the Netgear router we have. It's probably just a setting that needs to be changed, but I'm not tech savvy enough to know what to be looking at in within the router setttings.

But thanks anyway and I'll keep researching.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

I haven't used starlink and the v2's are pretty new. It might not automatically go in bridge/passthrough mode. 

Have you tried the netgear in access point mode?

Message 4 of 6
bwilt
Initiate

I had a similar problem, took all day to fix it.  I recently installed a Starlink gen 2 (rectangular antenna) with the ethernet adapter.  I bought a R7000 at Best Buy.  I tried installation from scratch several times but I became stuck.   I was able to access the router configuration at 192.168.1.1 from my browser, but I had no internet connection.  I read all the Starlink messages in this forum, but everyone seemed stuck.    I tried setting up a static route, I tried various combinations of IP address and gateway, no luck.  I finally called the customer support phone number after 5pm my time.  The first thing the rep did was ask me to go to the command line and type ipconfig.  I clicked on the start button, typed "cmd" in empty space, then run as administrator, and typed in ipconfig.  I hadn't used that command in a long time but I immediately knew what was wrong.  My gateway was 192.168.1.254 but the router was 192.168.1.1. 

The rep didn't need to say anything more.  I went into the control panel, Network and sharing center, then "change adapter settings."  I double-clicked on the active Ethernet item and opened properties, then "Internet Protocol Version 4".  I had originally hard-coded my IP address and gateway, and I could have just changed the gateway IP address, but I took the easy way and clicked the button for "Obtain an IP address automatically".  This lets the router's DHCP do all the work.  I clicked OK enough times to get out and rebooted the machine.  Voila!  I had internet.   The next couple of hours was spent changing everything on my network to DHCP or at least to a gateway of 192.168.1.1.

I left a good review for the rep.

Message 5 of 6
aliaa
Aspirant

Thanks for all of this. I haven't yet re-tried connecting SL router and our existing wireless system, but your info may well be very helpful!
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7