Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7960P drops connection for 2 seconds when another PC turns on/off

rcowensby
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7960P drops connection for 2 seconds when another PC turns on/off

Hey everyone,

Anyone have any idea why my router would lose internet connection on all connected devices for a few seconds when another PC is powered on or off?  It is literally 3-5 seconds, then comes right back.  Very annoying when watching a video or gaming.  It's enough time to time you out of a game.  I've never had any router do this before.

It has done it since day 1 (July 2020) and of course now that I can get around to it, my 90 days of support have ended.

Just installed the newest firmware (V1.4.1.64_1.3.25) hoping that would take care of the issue, but no luck.  Also factory reset and started over.  Still no luck.  Is anyone else having this issue?

Any help would be greatly apprciated!

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7960P drops connection for 2 seconds when another PC turns on/off

Is it only 1 device causing the issues?

Is it hardwired in or wireless? 

Message 2 of 8
jjgunn
Aspirant

Try these 2 things

1) Disable traffic meter

2) Disable IPv6

I was experiencing drops of my 5 GHz connection (2.4 GHz & Wired were ok) once I disabled those 2 items, my 5GHz is solid again & I'm running a R6300 v2 that is 6 years old.

I think it's a bug in the most recent firmwares across the entire Netgear family

Message 3 of 8
rcowensby
Aspirant

My wife and I both have personal computers as well as my work laptop.  For instance, if either my work laptop or my personal PC is on and my wife turns her PC on, it will drop for 2-4 seconds.

Seems if any PC is on when another is powered on, it will happen.  I have not noticed it with our fire sticks or cell phones, but by the time one of those loads, it's too late for me to notice.

Message 4 of 8
rcowensby
Aspirant

@jjgunn wrote:

Try these 2 things

1) Disable traffic meter

2) Disable IPv6

I was experiencing drops of my 5 GHz connection (2.4 GHz & Wired were ok) once I disabled those 2 items, my 5GHz is solid again & I'm running a R6300 v2 that is 6 years old.

I think it's a bug in the most recent firmwares across the entire Netgear family

Both are off.  Issue still remains.  Weirdest thing.

Message 5 of 8
jjgunn
Aspirant

Power it off. Wait 5 minutes. Power it back on.
Let's see if that flushes it. I had to do the same thing.
Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

are they wired or wireless?

Message 7 of 8
rcowensby
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

are they wired or wireless?

Either.  Laptop is on WiFi and it disconnects as well.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7