Nighthawk R8000 Slow Internet Speeds

Firmware Version V1.0.4.46

Model:R8000

Parental Controls Are Off

Security Off

Smart Connect is off

All Additonal Features are off or disabled

Internet Speed Down 103.92 up .67 Based on the Nighthawk App 

Testing on Cell Phone on WIFI Download 15.3 Mbps Upload .02Mbps both using 2.4 and 5 Bands

Factory Reset 4/12/20, Change WIFI Name and Passwords.

House materials- Mainly wood and drywall

Sq Feet- 950, Main Floor and Basement, normally I am near the WIFI when testing on Cell Phone.

The reason that I tried a Factory Reset was I was getting where there was no response while using a cell phones on the WIFI and was having to reboot the wifi once a week, which that seemed to correct the issue.  After the factory reset I am still running into a issue with slowness or unresponsive apps or programs on cell phones and laptops from time to time.  I have no problems with streaming Firestick/Sling/Movies on TV, but if I bring up Facebook it will just sometimes scroll and scroll with no new content loading. Put if I turn off the WIFI, everything retuns to normal.  Another example if I try to update my apps, it will just scroll or not start downloading, but as soon as I turn off the wifi it starts downloading. Also for my security cameras which are using hard connection, I get Network is unstable Connecting Again.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
rmisencik
Guide

Re: Nighthawk R8000 Slow Internet Speeds

Status update.  I think it was a mix of old modem and something wrong with the line.  I didnt recall we had a boster put on the line several years ago, but the tech from Spectrum looked at each of the connections and cut off the current one to expose a fresh line and connector.  He also bypassed the boster.  After that we are running at over 100 down and around 10 up, which is very consistant.  I dont want to try to go back and replace the new modem with the old on since we are running so good.  Thanks for you help on this.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 21

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem are you using? 

When did the issues start? is it a new problem or have you always had the issue?

Message 2 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

This issue has been occuring for the last 3-4 months.  I thought it was time for a hard reset, so prior to then really no major changes except for firmware updates.  I am using Spectrum as provider and use arris surfboard modem, I dont have the modem model number in front of me.  But I have done several reboots with that hardware too.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

@rmisencik wrote:

This issue has been occuring for the last 3-4 months.  I thought it was time for a hard reset, so prior to then really no major changes except for firmware updates.  I am using Spectrum as provider and use arris surfboard modem, I dont have the modem model number in front of me.  But I have done several reboots with that hardware too.

What arris modem? (when you get it)

What speeds do you pay for? 

What speed do you get directly connected to the modem? 

You can try installing version 1.0.4.28 for the firmware on the R8000. the newer version got netgear armor. Not all routers responded well to it. the usual first fix is to reset/manually reinstall but it sounds like you tried that. I'd try the downgrade. 

Message 4 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

Model of the modem is ARRIS Surfboard SB6183.

ran speed test on https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test it was running from 86-120mbps and upload was .04mbps

also ran speed test on https://www.speedtest.net/result/9278531762  it was 112 and 0.25

I will try to downgrade the version number.  What is the best way to do that?

Message 5 of 21
plemans
Guru

were those speeds directly connected to the modem?

What speeds do you pay for? 

our goal here is to make sure the modem is getting the speeds advertised. Its pointless to troubleshoot the router if the issue is the modem. 

Message 6 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

I have 100Mpbs plan with Spectrum. First test with speedtest.net was 41.52/.28, then it was 115.92/.33 then 63.81/.26

This is directly out of the modem.

Message 7 of 21
plemans
Guru

Usually not a good sign. 

Before you can troubleshoot a router, you need to get a stable connection/speed from the modem.

You've got an arris? log into it and get a screen snip of the modems connection page. 

Message 8 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

I just spoke to Spectrum, they advised they do something on there end with my modem causing the issue.  Looks like I will need to get a new modem, because the current one was added back in 2015.  Let me try that out and see if that fixes the issues.

Message 9 of 21
plemans
Guru

the arris SB6183 is a fairly competant modem. should easily be able to handle your 100mbps speed plus its docsis 3.0. 

I'd be checking the signal level/quality before I'd be buying a new modem. Spectrum is great at blaming 3rd party equipment when its really their line.

if you log into it (192.168.100.1), there should be a modem connections page that shows your connections. take a screen snip of that and post it here.

Also, if you have any splitters, attenuators, or amplifiers in your coax line, remove them. They can add interference to coax. 

Message 10 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

When going from screen to screen I was getting this error when capturing the screen shots...

Message 11 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

Message 12 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

Message 13 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

Message 14 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

Message 15 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

Message 16 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

Message 17 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

I can see there are some errors on the log file.  Let me know if this helps in finding the issue.

Message 18 of 21
plemans
Guru

the t3, t4 errors tend to be signal issue problems. Your downstream signal looks fine but I couldn't see anything about the upstream (or i missed it). 

It'd be worth it to have the isp check the line. If you've got any splitters in the line, remove them. 

Message 19 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

No spliters on the line. I have a 30 day return policy on a new modem and with it being 5-6 years old, it could be the problem.  Let me try that today and see if that improves the situation.  If not they will need to have ISP check the line.

Message 20 of 21
rmisencik
Guide

Status update.  I think it was a mix of old modem and something wrong with the line.  I didnt recall we had a boster put on the line several years ago, but the tech from Spectrum looked at each of the connections and cut off the current one to expose a fresh line and connector.  He also bypassed the boster.  After that we are running at over 100 down and around 10 up, which is very consistant.  I dont want to try to go back and replace the new modem with the old on since we are running so good.  Thanks for you help on this.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7