Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000: Using MAC addresses for blocking DHCP lease requests but NOT access

THX-1138
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8000: Using MAC addresses for blocking DHCP lease requests but NOT access

I have two Wi-Fi networks on two different routers, each with its own SSID, subnet, and DHCP server. Both are upstreamed to my AT&T 2WIRE U-Verse router/switch which connects me to the Internet. I'm migrating my smart devices from one Wi-Fi network to the other. They need access to both subnets. Unfortunately, some of the devices know about both SSIDs, and will try to get a lease from one, and then the other if the first fails.

I want to block them from getting leases on the old network, which is managed by a Nighthawk R8000. Does blocking them by MAC address just keep them from getting a lease, or will it keep them from accessing the network on the blocking router altogether? The former is good, the second bad.

Thanks for any help!
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Nighthawk R8000: Using MAC addresses for blocking DHCP lease requests but NOT access

@THX-1138 wrote:
Unfortunately, some of the devices know about both SSIDs, and will try to get a lease from one, and then the other if the first fails.

Don't these devices have way to reset them them so that they forget past connections?

That is the usual way to persuade a phone to connect to a different wifi system.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7