Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000 cannot connect more than 2 devices through wifi simultaneously

vlatt
Tutor

Nighthawk R8000 cannot connect more than 2 devices through wifi simultaneously

Hi folks, I've been casually trying to fix this problem with my Nighthawk R8000 router for the past month or so, ever since I bought it.

I am unable to connect more than 2 devices to the internet via wifi at once, but it's not a problem with the devices (as far as I can tell)

Here is what I know.

Currently both desktop computers are connected to wifi. No phones are able to connect to wifi UNLESS a desktop is off. If a desktop is off, one phone can connect (first one that tries to). If both desktops are off both phones can connect. If a desktop is turned back on, it cannot connect to the internet. A power cycle of the router is needed, desktops take spots on the network, and phones are unable to connect.

As far as I know there is no feature to say "Only allow 2 devices on at one time", so I'm at a loss of what to do here.

Assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
VE6CGX
Master

Re: Nighthawk R8000 cannot connect more than 2 devices through wifi simultaneously

I am beginning to think the router is in operation mode other than router. Maybe repeater or an AP. When hard reset it should fall back to

default router mode. Disconnect router from modem, just laptop to the LAN port and try resetting this way. Turn off router >> wait ~30 secs. or so >> while press and holding down toe reset button turn on the router >> when LED indicators flashing >> let go of the button. >> wait until

router comes up ready. Then this 3 commands one at a time.  'ipconfig /release'   ' ipconfig  /renew'    'ipconfig /all'      >> now what is gate way address? Use that address to ping the router,  ping works? then try to log in using that ip address, does it work? If this does not work I think

router CFE or f/w is not intact. Only way to resolve this issue is open up the router connect serial console to execute some nvram command.

Or I believe this router is still under warranty so do a RMA to get a replacement.  Deinstalled Genie? Maybe Genie is remembering something

causing this issue. Another way of restting is holding down the reset button long time like 5 mins or so while router is turned on.

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 25

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Re: Nighthawk R8000 cannot connect more than 2 devices through wifi simultaneously

When it came out of box, did you hard reset the router and configured it? Did you changed DHCP ip address range by any chance?

By any chance are you connecting to guest WiFi network? If you don't need guest network, just disable it. You have ip address conflict?

Message 2 of 25
vlatt
Tutor

Straight out of the box I hooked it up, no hard reset done. As far as configuration, I only did some things through the genie. I do not recall chanding the DHCP range, nor do I know how to.

I am not on a guest network, none are enabled.

I do not know about ip address conflict, but my parents and friends are also unable to connect when 2 devices are already connected, so it;s unlikely that 7+ devices are all fighting over the same IP addresses.

Message 3 of 25
VE6CGX
Master

Can you connect more than 2 devices via wired connection? When 3rd device tried connect on wireless what happens, any error message?

Message 4 of 25
vlatt
Tutor

Logistically, I am unable to wire in the desktop computers. 

A desktop does not give a specific error when failing to connect, but a phone (samsung note 4) gives the error "AP currently not in use, internet connection slow", but the connection isn't slow, it is fully non existent as far as I can tell.

Message 5 of 25
VE6CGX
Master

Is your router in AP mode by any chance? You have only one router in your network?

Message 6 of 25
vlatt
Tutor

Only one router in the network, yes.

What is AP mode and how do I check if my router is in it?

Message 7 of 25
VE6CGX
Master

What is your modem model? If you log into the router, you can see whether it is in router mode(this is default mode) or AP(access point) mode under operation mode.tab.

Message 8 of 25
vlatt
Tutor

The modem model is TC4300.E Technicolor brand. When you say log in to it, do you mean through the genie, or something else? I can only get in through the genie, www.routerlogin.net gives an error

"

The www.routerlogin.net page isn’t working

www.routerlogin.net didn’t send any data.

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

"

Message 9 of 25
VE6CGX
Master

I wouldn't think modem is creating this problem.  Your Internet is working. Was the router working normal or are you trying to set up the roruter first time?  Try to log into router by using ip address 192.168.1.1

Message 10 of 25
vlatt
Tutor

I agree with you on the modem not being the issue, but you asked and I am trying to be helpful. (Thanks for your effort so far, by the way! I know we havent fixed it yet, but it's nice to know someone is trying to help me!)

The router was like this out of the box. It has never been able to connect more than 2 devices at once since I bought it approx 30 days ago.

I attempted to log in to the router at that ip and recieved an error 

"

This site can’t be reached

192.168.1.1 took too long to respond.

"

Please advise.

Message 11 of 25
VE6CGX
Master

Alright then, first I suggest you to hard reset the router first which put the router back to factory default. Turn off router, push and hold down the reset witch and power up the router. When LED indicators starts falshing, let go of the switch. Router will come up ready in

couple mins. Now try to log into the router. If still you can't? Are you using Windows OS?, then run this 3 command 'ipconfig /release'

'ipconfig /renew'  ipconfig /all. Now see what is gatway ip address. And ipv4 address?

Message 12 of 25
vlatt
Tutor

Factory reset did not do anything as far as I can tell.

I did the ipconfigs you said to. Results are as follows

Gateway ip address 198.200.89.129

ipv4 address 198.200.89.128

Message 13 of 25
VE6CGX
Master

What exactly do you have in your home network not counting the devices. Just one free-standing modem and one router? Anything else? When you reset the router, it puts router in factory default state. Did you try ruouter in default state? Or configured it? Can you try ipv4 for the time being?

Message 14 of 25
vlatt
Tutor

One modem and one router, that's all.

Message 15 of 25
vlatt
Tutor

After resetting the router it came back online a few mintues later with the same problem. When you say did I try it in the default state, what do you mean? I did not configure it at all post reset if that's what you are asking. I had no way to do any configurations. www.routerlogin.net still gives an error.

How do I try ipv4? I am not sure what you mean.

Message 16 of 25
VE6CGX
Master

My apology, I thought you were using ipv6. Well is this your new router? What did you use before? Tried to use that gteway address to ping the router?  Logically it is impossible to have such address when router is reset. Does this router behaving like this out of box. First thing here is getting access to the router(able to ping the router)   Did you get it as brand new?  Are you the first owner? Wonder if this unit was used as an AP.

Message 17 of 25
vlatt
Tutor

I moved into a new house and decided to buy a router of my own rather than rent one from my ISP. It is the first router to be used in this house.

The router is behaving this way out of the box, but I do not know if it is brand new. It is possible that it was returned and reshelved or used as a display model or something.

Message 18 of 25
vlatt
Tutor

I was able to ping the router. Average response time is 11ms. 4/4 packets recieved.

Message 19 of 25
VE6CGX
Master

Then use that ip address to log into the router. Do you use Genie? If yes, deinstall it. Not worth using it specially at time like this. Only will

create confusion. When you plug in the router out of box first time how did you manage to connect to the Internet? Any problem then?

Ever could log into the router?

Message 20 of 25
vlatt
Tutor

I use the genie, yes. I used it to do the initial set up, there were no problems.

www.routerlogin.net worked back then, where now I can't get anything on it. I have 0 clue why it stopped working.

To confirm, the IP address I should use from ipconfig/all is called "Ethernet adapter Network Bridge", right? The Default Gateway for that heading is 198.200.89.129.

It doesn;t work. I get the following chrome error

"

This site can’t be reached

198.200.89.129 refused to connect.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
"

Thank you for your patience in trying to help me, by the way. I really appreciate it and hope we can eventually fix this!
Message 21 of 25
netwrks
Master

Do you still have this IP subnet on your laptop?

Factory reset did not do anything as far as I can tell.

I did the ipconfigs you said to. Results are as follows

Gateway ip address 198.200.89.129

ipv4 address 198.200.89.128

If you do, that is certainly an issue, as that is your ISP's subnet, and should not show up on your desktop / laptop, unless you are directly connected to to your ISP's modem..

Double check your cabling.. From a wiring perspective, this what it should look like -  ISP modem ----Ethernet connection ------ to WAN port on Netgear router ----- Devices connected to LAN ports on router: wireless from the Netgear. 

Message 22 of 25
VE6CGX
Master

I am beginning to think the router is in operation mode other than router. Maybe repeater or an AP. When hard reset it should fall back to

default router mode. Disconnect router from modem, just laptop to the LAN port and try resetting this way. Turn off router >> wait ~30 secs. or so >> while press and holding down toe reset button turn on the router >> when LED indicators flashing >> let go of the button. >> wait until

router comes up ready. Then this 3 commands one at a time.  'ipconfig /release'   ' ipconfig  /renew'    'ipconfig /all'      >> now what is gate way address? Use that address to ping the router,  ping works? then try to log in using that ip address, does it work? If this does not work I think

router CFE or f/w is not intact. Only way to resolve this issue is open up the router connect serial console to execute some nvram command.

Or I believe this router is still under warranty so do a RMA to get a replacement.  Deinstalled Genie? Maybe Genie is remembering something

causing this issue. Another way of restting is holding down the reset button long time like 5 mins or so while router is turned on.

Message 23 of 25
vlatt
Tutor

Eureka!

This worked! Thanks a ton!

I unhooked it from everything, wired it in, did the ipconfigs, logged into the router and disabled AP mode!

I don't know why it was on to start with, but I'm too happy to care!

Everything works great now.

Thanks a ton for your help! I appreciate all the time and effort you put into solving this issue!

Message 24 of 25
VE6CGX
Master

Good job. I am happy for you.  Now have fun.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7