Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000P blocking valid network traffic, "DoS Attack"

mnissov
Follower

Nighthawk R8000P blocking valid network traffic, "DoS Attack"

I have a netgear nighthawk R8000P router, firmware V1.4.4.94_1.3.56, which is consistently blocking NTP synchronization, calling it a Fraggle Attack.

Even basic things like pinging google get blocked. For example, I write

ping google.com

which returns with "Request timed out" and in the router log we see:

[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source 129.241.187.29,port 17500 Thursday, Mar 23,2023 10:34:16

at what seems to be the same time. Note, although pinging google times out, actually going to the website using my browser works fine.

Furthermore, trying to synchronize with time.nist.gov returns with "This operation returned because the timeout period expired" with the log showing

[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source 129.241.187.29,port 17500 Thursday, Mar 23,2023 10:38:17

again at what seems to be the right time.

If I disconnect the WAN from the router and plug directly into my computer, this has no problems synchronizing to the same NTP server.

Note, my computer has all windows firewalls disabled and the router has all security features disabled (as far as I'm aware).

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R8000P blocking valid network traffic, "DoS Attack"

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Does this happen with other PCs? 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7