Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R9000 username change and disable SSID

coaserve
Aspirant

Nighthawk R9000 username change and disable SSID

I purchased the new router in prep for new fiber service. The speed and UPnP/Nat were why I chose this model (multiple devices connect, and hoping not to need a new one for a long time). There are two security implements with it that have me confused so far:

1).  The manual includes this text: "To change the admin user name and enable password recovery:" except there does not appear to be any way to change the username from "admin" which is typically the first thing I do with a new router. How do I change the username? And, if it can't be changed, why make me type in the unchangebale username every time I want to log in? The field is obviously required when logging in.

2). The manual and online instruction show how to turn off the SSID broadcast but neglects to mention why the 60 Ghz frequency lacks the security option to turn it off. Is there a way to turn the SSID broadcast off of that frequency? If not, why not?

These seem like very basic things. Perhaps the router's security is so good that they are negligible, but they seem like options one might expect to have anyway given the product's price. I just find this weird.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R9000 username change and disable SSID

The username cannot be changed.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
coaserve
Aspirant

I guess you can scratch t"2)" above. Some of the devices that listed it were simply showing the entries from the previous network configuration, though it is still a little weird that the separate frequency doesn't have its own SSID option.

Message 2 of 4
TheEther
Guru

The username cannot be changed.
Message 3 of 4

@coaserve wrote:

it is still a little weird that the separate frequency doesn't have its own SSID option.

This is usually possible. Only BT forces a single SSID for its rubbish modems.

Have you tried using the Windows desktop Netgear genie?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7