Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X4 AC2350 - Upload Speed Throttling Issue

lepermess1ah
Follower

Nighthawk X4 AC2350 - Upload Speed Throttling Issue

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some insight into an issue I'm having with my r7500. I have FIOS through frontier with a 75/75 plan. For a while I've been wanting to switch from the coax connection on the ONT and the old Verizon router that was provided when my roommate had the service installed years ago, and instead go to using the ethernet connection and my R7500. The house we are renting was already wired with cat5, so when we had a technician come to replace the dying backup battery on the ONT yesterday, I had him wire up the ethernet connection while he was here. I have all the PC's in the house hardwired with Cat6, but I wanted to get a 5GHz connection again for the tablets and phones that supported it, and was hoping for maybe a little performance bump as well.

The install and configuration went fine up until I started running speed tests. Once my internet was confirmed working the technician left, not that he necessarily could have fixed this, but in hindsight I should have kept him around to verify the connection and speed was good. Running through Verizon's old router with coax to the ONT I consistently got 80-90Mbps both ways. With my new configuration I'm still in the normal range on the DL speed with 75-85, but my upload speed is now basically capped at 30-33Mbps. I have connected directly to the ONT in the garage with my laptop and the tests come back fine, 80-90 both directions. I connect directly to my pc in the office, and the connection is fine again. The problem only arises when I put the router in the way. 

I'll list my troubleshooting steps now so that maybe someone can find a flaw in what I'm doing, or can suggest a new course of action. I would love to keep this configuration since it helps out the mobile devices a lot, but beyond that, it's not really too much of a drag to go back to the old setup. I'll just deal with the psychologically added latency of thinking about my fiber getting transformed to coax, and then finally to cat5/6 before I can Juan Deag dem n00bz in CS:GO. It's mostly just bugging me that I can't figure out what's holding it up. Also, when running the same speed tests on my phone, I am consistently getting upload speeds of 40-50, or about 10/20Mbps higher, which seems strange to me.

1) The first thing I did was perform a factory reset on the router. I figured maybe I had some settings causing a problem from my old residence where I was using Cox. I tested again before changing any settings, but this had no effect.

2)QoS. Based on my research this seems to be the most likely culpret. My dynamic QoS was off by default, but i tried enabling and setting my bandwidth paramaters. Ran the test, still the same. Disabled it again, no change.

I also tried disabling and enabling the WMM settings as well, no change. I then tried all of these again, this time rebooting the router each time, and no change.

I tried artificially setting my QoS values high and low. I had no change regardless of how high i set them. However, I did see a change when setting my upload value low. My upload speed was limited to the QoS value until I changed it to higher than I was previously getting and then it would just continue at where it was previously capped at. ~30-35.

3)DMZ. I put my computer in the dmz to see if that would help out, but it didn't.

4)Wireless AP. I tried setting the router as a wireless AP, to see if using it in a switch or passthrough type of configuration would help, but no change.

4)Firmware. I downloaded the latest firmware from the netgear page. I confirmed I was using the most current firmware using the autoupdate function. Then factory reset and loaded the newly downloaded firmware. Factory reset again after install. No change.

5)Ran the SG TCP/IP Optimizer. Tested between windows default and optimized settings both running through the router and with a direct connection. Still good speeds running direct, same 80/30 going through the nighthawk.

That's about all I've done and I'm kind've running out of ideas. Anyone have any thoughts on what the problem is or any other steps I can take? Any help is much appreciated and thanks in advance for taking the time to look at this!

Best,

Steve

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Nighthawk X4 AC2350 - Upload Speed Throttling Issue

Hi lepermess1ah,

Is this the firmware loaded on your router?

https://kb.netgear.com/000038858/R7500-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-108

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi lepermess1ah,

Is this the firmware loaded on your router?

https://kb.netgear.com/000038858/R7500-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-108

Message 2 of 3
JamesGL
Master

Hi lepermess1ah,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7