Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X4S R7800 Flashing amber power light intermittently with eSATA white light. Amber, white

benprowley
Tutor

Nighthawk X4S R7800 Flashing amber power light intermittently with eSATA white light. Amber, white

This is a Netgear Nighthawk x4s ac2600 smart wifi router model R7800 with the latest firmware. Router is flashing back and forth from the Amber power LED to the White eSATA LED. Back and forth continually.  I tried doing a factory reset and it is still doing the same thing. it has the latest firmware update installed.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X4S R7800 Flashing amber power light intermittently with eSATA white light. Amber, whi

From user manual:

"Power LED Stays Amber When the router is turned on, the Power LED lights amber for up to two minutes and then turns white. If the LED does not turn white, this indicates a problem with the router. If the Power LED is still amber three minutes after you turn on power to the router, do the following: • Cycle the power to see if the router recovers. • Press and hold the Reset button to return the router to its factory settings. For more information, see Factory Settings on page 171. If the error persists, a hardware problem might be the cause. Contact technical support at netgear.com/support."

Cant find anything regarding the eSata LED and it's interaction with the Power LED. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X4S R7800 Flashing amber power light intermittently with eSATA white light. Amber, whi

Can you access the UI at all with any browser with a LAN wired PC? 

Review the user manual for LED indication information...

Message 2 of 15
benprowley
Tutor

I held down the reset button for 7 seconds and was able to get it to come on, but it does not see my internet (coming from my Arrias sb6190 which is how im online right this second) and when i plug my ethernet into any of the other ports nothing comes up. I can only access the router wirelessly and if i power it off it goes back to the flashing amber power light with the flashing white esata light.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you get the router to be stable with out being connected to the Arris modem? 

Swapped LAN cables between modem and router? 

Only thing you might try, if you can get a stable access to the UI via the wifi, can you send the FW update file to the router and see if it will take. I normally don't recommend using wireless, maybe this case could work. Just use the default SSID name and PW. Try LAN wired first if it remains stable. 

Can you check the power adapter voltage and amps at the tip? Should read whats listed on the sticker.

Only think I see is the Power Amber blinks is the reset or FW is updateing. White eSata is drive is being connected. I presume you don't have a drive connected here. 

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

From user manual:

"Power LED Stays Amber When the router is turned on, the Power LED lights amber for up to two minutes and then turns white. If the LED does not turn white, this indicates a problem with the router. If the Power LED is still amber three minutes after you turn on power to the router, do the following: • Cycle the power to see if the router recovers. • Press and hold the Reset button to return the router to its factory settings. For more information, see Factory Settings on page 171. If the error persists, a hardware problem might be the cause. Contact technical support at netgear.com/support."

Cant find anything regarding the eSata LED and it's interaction with the Power LED. 

Message 5 of 15
benprowley
Tutor

I couldn't get it stable and I was able to get it to load the FW update wirelessly, but when it restarts from the update it goes back to that flashing pattern. Yeah I think the ethernet ports are blown.... why I have no clue especially with the modem still working.  I pulled out my old WNDR3700 and its working. I'm just waiting to hear back from netgear tech support now.

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, ask for an RMA. Let us know how it goes. 

Also FYI regarding your SB 6190:

These links are to DSLreports information regarding Intel's problem with there Puma 6 chip set seen in various Mfr cable modems:
Initial:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31079834-ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mis... and
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion and https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31340594-ALL-SB6190-and-CM700-latency-fix-firmware-ready-to-test

Recent problem found: 4/25/2017
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31377755-

Most cable modems with Intel's Puma 6 chip sets are effected. Users may want to contact there modem Mfrs if they are having problems with effected modems. This only effects cable modems with the Intel Puma 6 chip set. You can test your modem here: http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6

Message 7 of 15
benprowley
Tutor

Yeah, I am kind of disappointed.  That was a worthless conversation.  I purchased the router May 26th 2016 and it died yesterday. The guy's only solution was to sell me a new one with better features for retail price.  Wow.... not impressed Netgear. He was claiming that it is because I live in Florida with weather. It was on the same surge protector as my modem and it didn't get fried. I purchased a refurbished wndr3700 years ago and it is still working.  Its grossly underpowered but wow quality has changed as many storms as it has gone through. 

Message 8 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi benprowley,

Please try to load the firmware via TFTP.

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

Message 9 of 15
benprowley
Tutor

The only problem with this solution is that, when I plug the computer in via a wired connection it does not see any network. The only way I can talk with the switch is over wifi.  Will this solution work over wifi?

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you setting a Static IP address on the wired connection? I believe you have to set a static IP address on the PC to maintain the connection, you can't use DHCP as theres nothing to get from the router. The DHCP server is not working. 

Message 11 of 15
benprowley
Tutor

What I mean is when I plug my ethernet connection in from my computer to the internet rj45 port or any of the other rj45 ports it comes up as not being connected in my LAN and I cannot do what the instructions say to do. any ideas?

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe you have to set a static IP address on the PC LAN adapter to maintain the connection. Auto Obtain IP addressing will not work. 

Message 13 of 15
benprowley
Tutor

I tried that, and still no luck. It still says that the LAN port is unplugged.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different PC by chance? Different LAN cable? 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7