Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X4S R7800 showing wrong country or location

callum1980
Aspirant

Nighthawk X4S R7800 showing wrong country or location

I have a nighthawk X4S R7800 used as an access point, connected to my ISPs (sky broadband) router.  The Sky router when I am connected to it directly works well (but it doesnt have good range, hence why I bought the nighthawk.  So I turned off the sky routers wifi hoping that the nighthawks range would be better, and it is.  However when connected to the nighthawk wifi (it uses the same SSID as Sky) when I surf the internet or use apps on either my phone / desktop it thinks im in another country.  This doesnt happen when connected to Sky directly so its not an ISP problem. Its isolated to when connected to nighthawk.

However both routers have their regions set as Europe so im really unsure why the nighthawk is doing this. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X4S R7800 showing wrong country or location

If the R7800 is in AP mode, its getting its IP address info from the sky box. 

Message 2 of 8
callum1980
Aspirant

@plemans but the sky router, when im connected directly to that (either via ethernet or wifi) works ok i.e. im in the correct country.  

Message 3 of 8

@callum1980 wrote:

I have a nighthawk X4S R7800 used as an access point, connected to my ISPs (sky broadband) router. 

You say "used as an access point".

Does that mean that it is set up as an access point in the browser graphical user interface (GUI)?

As @plemans says, do that and the router Sky Box sets the IP address for the R7800.

So I turned off the sky routers wifi hoping that the nighthawks range would be better, and it is.  

If you do that, the Sky Box still works as a router. So you should put the R7800 into AP mode. (See above.)

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

However when connected to the nighthawk wifi (it uses the same SSID as Sky) when I surf the internet or use apps on either my phone / desktop it thinks im in another country. 

What tells you that?

How can the R7800 use the same SSID as the Sky with its wifi turned off?

What do you see in the settings here:

• Basic
  • Wireless
  • Region Selection

michaelkenward_0-1685023886437.png

Message 4 of 8
callum1980
Aspirant

@michaelkenward answers below in red and underlined.

Does that mean that it is set up as an access point in the browser graphical user interface (GUI)? - yes, I set up the access point rather than router or bridge.

As @plemans says, do that and the router Sky Box sets the IP address for the R7800. - thats what I have done

So I turned off the sky routers wifi hoping that the nighthawks range would be better, and it is.  

If you do that, the Sky Box still works as a router. So you should put the R7800 into AP mode. (See above.) - yep, i know how to set up the AP as I have already done that. 

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

However when connected to the nighthawk wifi (it uses the same SSID as Sky) when I surf the internet or use apps on either my phone / desktop it thinks im in another country. 

What tells you that? - i use the same name and password for the nighthawk as I wouldve used for the sky router. 

How can the R7800 use the same SSID as the Sky with its wifi turned off? -  it only uses the name, not the actual service and when you set up the AP it recommends that you switch off the ISP wifi.

What do you see in the settings here:

• Basic
  • Wireless
  • Region Selection - EUROPE
  • although both ENABLE SMART CONNECT and ENABLE SSID BROADCAST is not ticked.
Message 5 of 8

Not sure that I follow all of those answers. Let's stick with this bit:

@callum1980 wrote:

What tells you that? - i use the same name and password for the nighthawk as I wouldve used for the sky router. 

This doesn't say what tells you that you are in "another country".

Using the same name and password has nothing to do with the country.

There are two "name and password" options here.

One option is the GUI access for the Sky router and the R7800 in AP mode.

The other is for the wifi. (More accurately these are the SSID and the "passphrase", but people often call them "name and password".)

Neither of these has anything to do with the country.

Or maybe you are talking about the name and password for your Sky Internet service. If the R7800 is in router mode, you enter that in the GUI to get the thing to connect through the Sky modem/router. In AP modem, the R7800 does not require that information. If it does you are not in AP mode.

You say that the GUI shows Europe as the region. That's as it should be. There is no UK region for wifi. The dimwitted Conservative government has yet to rule that Brexit means that we can cut the country off from the rest of the planet with our own wifi standards. So we have the same wifi standards as the rest of Europe.

So I am still left wondering what tells you that you are in another country.

Message 6 of 8

@callum1980 wrote:
  • although both ENABLE SMART CONNECT and ENABLE SSID BROADCAST is not ticked.

Disable SSID broadcast and your R7800 will be invisible on the network.

In my screenshot, only the 2.4GHz is visible.

If you enable Smart Connect that will be unticked.

Message 7 of 8
callum1980
Aspirant

@michaelkenward  thanks for the intel. What tells me I am in another country, is that when I am on the internet or using apps that show content based on geo-location, its showing me non-UK web pages / content.  So ive isolated the issue of the wrong country to the nighthawk wifi.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7