Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R800 interface with Orbi

LuckyClover13
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R800 interface with Orbi

I am looking to keep my R8000 nighthawk downstairs for gaming and add an Orbi upstairs to provide adequate coverage + speed instead of a Mesh, which I understand would cut down our overall speed. Does anyone have experience with a similar setup, and can you elaborate on potential wifi interference with these two systems? Thank you in advance!
Message 1 of 9

@LuckyClover13 wrote:
I am looking to keep my R8000 nighthawk downstairs for gaming and add an Orbi upstairs

So, you want the unnamed Orbi to work as a wireless repeater? Is that even possible?

I have an Orbi router working as a wireless access point on a Powerline Ethernet network with an R7800 at the router end of the network.,

Avoid any arrangement that has two routers on the network. Here's why:

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

If you're only needing 1 device, you could add a mesh extender. I'm a fan of the triband line as they preserve speeds more than the single/dual band extenders do. 

Message 3 of 9
LuckyClover13
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. I was advised by a Netgear associate to consider the Orbi satellite RBS50 to extend coverage to the top floor. They said the NAT issues could be trouble shooter to prevent interference. Orbi sounds logical, but I believe it would require an Orbi specific router… I don’t want to give up my X6 R8000.
Message 4 of 9
LuckyClover13
Aspirant

Thanks! I’m considering the Nighthawk Ext7500 or 8000 model. The Orbi sounds like a better option that could provide more stable coverage without dropout in speed, but it seems this would require revamping my setup. I can’t figure out if the two units are compatible.
Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

R8000 is not compatible with Orbi. You can add a EX8000 to an Orbi system however thats a last resort option if Orbi needs some additional wifi signal coverage. 

ARe you planning on running both R8000 and a Orbi system under 1 roof? You can. Just would be separate SSID names and channels between the two systems needs to be far appart. 

Message 6 of 9
LuckyClover13
Aspirant

Yes, the idea was to run both the X6 R8000 (bottom floor for gaming) and Orbi (top floor) RS50 under the same 2,500 square ft roof, but this does not seem practical. I would need an Orbi specific router. Maybe I just need to upgrade my Nighthawk to ensure I have more coverage for both floors…
Message 7 of 9
LuckyClover13
Aspirant

Update. I settled on the fact that I should either update my nighthawk from my current X6 R8000 to a AX6000 for broader coverage (including upstairs signal strength) up to 3500 sq.ft vs switching to an Orbi RBK752 w/ 1 satellite for you to 5000 sq.ft. Our internet speed tops out at 400 mbps, so deciding on the Orbi makes sense since we will never hit high enough speeds. Hope I’m making the best choice! Appreciate the input from the community ❤️
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7