Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Automatically Wifi network change

ruben_zamudio
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Automatically Wifi network change

Hello Community!

I have some devices, that they just can not go on with the current Wifi network (e.g. 2.4ghz) in that moment you have at least another one (e.g. 5ghz). That device is compatible with both networks.  My question is, is there anything can be done at Router configuration level 1)to monitor if there are some wifi problems?   2)any configuration can push devices to select other healthy wifi network?

Best Regards //

Rubén

P.S. In the case there are nothing to do at router point of view, any app/sw can help?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Automatically Wifi network change

Hi ruben_zamudio, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information IrvSp provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Sorry, not sure what you are asking for?

@ruben_zamudio wrote:

Hello Community!

I have some devices, that they just can not go on with the current Wifi network (e.g. 2.4ghz) in that moment you have at least another one (e.g. 5ghz). That device is compatible with both networks. 

What devices are these?

What OS are they on?

They can't connect to either the 2.4 or 5Ghz SSID? Is that what you are saying? The R8000 does have 2 5Ghz SSID's, but basically, other than the frequency, they are the same 'function'.

@ruben_zamudio wrote:

My question is, is there anything can be done at Router configuration level 1)to monitor if there are some wifi problems?  

You can SEE using a NETGEAR tablet/phone app or a Browser Genie opened to the Router home page to see what IS connected.

Problems? The devices would know, not the router. All it does is send out an SSID and allow connections. The router can deny connections but that is about all. The LOG will show that (under the ADVANCED TAB, ADMINISTRATION) depending what is checked to be in the log.

@ruben_zamudio wrote:

2)any configuration can push devices to select other healthy wifi network?

I have no idea what you mean or want?

The only thing I can think of is SMART CONNECT for the 2 5Ghz SSID's. The router will 'manage' connections to these as required.

I suggest you get a copy of the MANUAL (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8000/R8000_UM_8Jul14.pdf) and read it... might answer some of your questions.

Message 2 of 6
ruben_zamudio
Aspirant

Hi IrvSp!

Thanks for sharing!

To make myself clear, let´s think about these problems I face quite often:

1) Apple iPad (latest iOS)does not connect automatically to the Router (WiFi already registered), needs to be done manually.

2) Samsung S8 (Androind 7) using a 2.4 wifi network, which is not working for some reason, but the other one 5 Wifi network is working, why does not jumps to the second one automatically, if the first one is not working?

I started already to use your reccomendation regarding SMART CONNECT.

I normally use Genie, to know who is already using the router, my need is more like

add more intelligence to the apple/android device to connect/jump to/into a up-and-running Wifi network based on work signal, and any other criteria.

I hope this time is even more clear!

Thank you!//

Rubén

Message 3 of 6
IrvSp
Master

@ruben_zamudio wrote:

1) Apple iPad (latest iOS)does not connect automatically to the Router (WiFi already registered), needs to be done manually.

Ruben, I never have a problem with ANY of my iPad's? I even take them out of the house and they automatically connect to many many Wifi locations without any assist from me. Come back in my house and they will connect to the last used SSID (unless the router with Smart Connect will change the 5Ghz SSID on them which is can do as the SSID and Passphrase is the same for both). I suspect you either have a 'bad' saved network or the wrong passphrase saved. FORGET that network and it should solve the problem. This is NOT a router problem more than likely.

@ruben_zamudio wrote:

2) Samsung S8 (Androind 7) using a 2.4 wifi network, which is not working for some reason, but the other one 5 Wifi network is working, why does not jumps to the second one automatically, if the first one is not working?

Sorry, "not working" doesn't mean anything to me? Either the router is putting out the SSID or it isn't (unless you set it NOT to be broadcast so it can't be seen). Again, the device as some point had to both have connected to each SSID and SAVED the data to autoconnect. Usually one would be the default and if the SSID wasn't available, it would use the other one IF it can see it. I'm wondering if you are going far enough away that the 5Ghz signal, which generally has a shorter range than the 2.4Ghz signal can't be seen and then disconnects? This would be a device problem, not a router problem, if the device once connected doesn't switch automatically.

@ruben_zamudio wrote:

I started already to use your reccomendation regarding SMART CONNECT.

I normally use Genie, to know who is already using the router, my need is more like

add more intelligence to the apple/android device to connect/jump to/into a up-and-running Wifi network based on work signal, and any other criteria.

Again, this isn't a router function/problem. The router HAS NO CLUE where the device is or what signal strength it has. I suggest you Google this, "switch wifi ssid based on signal strength" as there are some things that can possibly work, but they have nothing to do with the router.

Message 4 of 6
ruben_zamudio
Aspirant

Thank you  IrvSp for the remarks.

Those situations I explained to you are very common over here at home, even though I have reseted the network properties more than twice with the ipad.

Any way, I understand your explanations and go along with you in the sense those are not Router problems, with this experience I wanted to be sure there is nothing to do (update/configure/etc) to improve/correct my problem.

I appreciate your time!

Best Regards //

Ruben

P.S. Now I am testing how far I can get with app to support me to make the device smart to select a working WiFi.

Message 5 of 6
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi ruben_zamudio, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information IrvSp provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7