Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Problems

SK2022
Tutor

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Problems

After the latest firmware update a couple of months ago (Firmware Version
V1.0.4.76_10.1.82) I sharted having two major problems with the router:

1. Every other day the DNS breaks down, and I have to restart the router get the internet working again. This is the most troubling issue, impacting work meetings and such at the worst times.

2. Circle app does not load the visited sites for parental control any more.

Everything was working fine prior to the firware update. I have seen some other posts on both these problems, but no solutions or answers from Netgear so far. We cannot keep going with these problems. Just checking for the latest info from Netgear, or suggestions from commpunity, to decide it's time to move on from Netgear products for good. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

v.62 seems to be the best version for now. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

@Hasselby wrote:

Been around 48 hours since downgrading the firmware...zero issues. I did not see my DNS issue recurring again through multiple computers at home. I had to refresh multiple times whenever I loaded a new webpage or add a new tab, but everything is smooth sailing right now.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

I'm on v62 with my R8000 now...working ok. Might revert back to this version. 

Message 2 of 19
SK2022
Tutor

Thanks for responding. Cable Modem is Netgear CM1000 running Firmware Version
V7.01.01. 

I have tried rest of Circle, but not the full factory reset of the router. Because, the reset didn't fix the problem for any of the other users who tried that. So, I'd prefer not to do that unless there is definite proof or guidance from Netgear for doing that to fix the issue.

I'll see if I can find the older firware to downgrade if there is no other option.

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the reset and setup from scratch. I would try using the router with out Circle enabled first to see if any problems appear. 

Try enabling IPv6 on the router for DNS issues. 

I would power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON as well. 

Then try re-enabling Circle later on. 

For issues with Circle, Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Circle product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Circle product. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Message 4 of 19
SK2022
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions. I did a full reset as instructed, but it did NOT fix the issue. Is there any word from Netgear about this problem, which is clearly caused by their untested firmware update? Thanks.

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ive pass this onto NG. Im seeing DNS issues on v.76, I recommend rerverting back to v.62 for now. 

Message 6 of 19
Hasselby
Guide

Thanks for the tip. I have had this DNS issue for months, and I thought it was my ISP.

Just downgraded to v.62, going to update here if I see any issues for the next few days.

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

v.76 is too bad but I found the DNS issue, minor, and WiFi Smart Connect seems to slow down the WiFi performance. Disabling it brings speeds back. Also Traffic Meter seems to slow things down as well. Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 19
Hasselby
Guide

Been around 48 hours since downgrading the firmware...zero issues. I did not see my DNS issue recurring again through multiple computers at home. I had to refresh multiple times whenever I loaded a new webpage or add a new tab, but everything is smooth sailing right now.

Message 9 of 19
SK2022
Tutor

Thanks for the update @Hasselby. Does the Circle App also work fine (loads history)?

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

v.62 seems to be the best version for now. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

@Hasselby wrote:

Message 11 of 19
Hasselby
Guide

Hey, no problem. Unfortunately I cannot comment on that as I don't have Circle enabled or any Parental Controls!

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Same here, though I did see a WAN to LAN speed slowdown with Traffic Meter enabled on v.76 as well. Armor and Circle was already disabled. 

Message 13 of 19
Hasselby
Guide

Has been a week and I have not seen the issue re-occur. It was a big nuisance for a few months - not only did websites takes a few extra refreshes to load, but even streaming live channels on desktop had constant errors and I would have to refresh multiple times.

This will be my last update, hopefully it helps some people reading this now. I spent a lot of time Googling the issue, but it turns out it was because of the router after being referred to here.

Thanks for escalating this to Netgear FURRYe38. Maybe they can diagnose this in the next firmware version.

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 📡

Message 15 of 19
CheMarKra
Aspirant

Thank you for this solution.  I was going to buy a new router.  I'm not good at this sort of thing and I thought it was beyond me to get it working again but I read thru all the comments, stumbled my way thru the process of backing off down to V 62, and I think it is now fixed.  I am no longer getting dns error messages and endlessly having to reload pages.  I am in your debt.

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
Enjoy. 📡

@CheMarKra wrote:

Thank you for this solution.  I was going to buy a new router.  I'm not good at this sort of thing and I thought it was beyond me to get it working again but I read thru all the comments, stumbled my way thru the process of backing off down to V 62, and I think it is now fixed.  I am no longer getting dns error messages and endlessly having to reload pages.  I am in your debt.

Message 17 of 19
SVKV
Aspirant

I am a few fireware updates behind. I am not able to log onto routerlogin.net or .com to do a firmware update. Can someone please help me????

Message 18 of 19

@SVKV wrote:

I am a few fireware updates behind. I am not able to log onto routerlogin.net or .com to do a firmware update.

Why not? What happens when you try?

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem. The firmware version also helps.

You can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7