Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 - cpu problem

ChristianWis
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 - cpu problem

Hello friends, I have a Nighthawk X6 R8000, excellent router. But I have a problem that I'm noticing recently. I have 28 devices connected and the router in standby mode has a consumption of cpu1:34% and cpu2:98%, this causes me to run out of network at times and need to restart the router. What could be happening? Thanks Christianfotorouter.jpg

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Now do same thing with the router disconnected from the ISP modem or ONT. Observe CPU usage.

What is the Brand and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem or Fiber ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch..A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Try this with just one wired PC connected. When the setup wizard completes, check the CPU usage. Don't connect anything else just yet. Set a different SSID name to prevent wireless devices from connecting. 

Also there is newer version of FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/New-R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-84-Re...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens when you disconnect all from the router accept for 1 wired PC? CPU usage still high? 

What all you have connected at one time? 

Is Armor, Circle or Traffic meter enabled? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Message 2 of 6
ChristianWis
Aspirant

What happens when you unplug everything from the router for 1 wired PC? CPU usage still high?
1 pc only,
CPU load

CPU1: 17.45% CPU2: 19.15%

Everything you have connected at once?
And it is

Is the Armor, Circle or Traffic meter enabled?
nope

What firmware version is currently loaded?
firmware version
V1.0.4.76_10.1.82

What is the Mfr and model number of the ISP modem/ONT that the NG router is also connected to?

I don't know what is the "Mfr and model number of the ISP modem/ONT"

Make sure to use a good quality LAN cable between the modem and the router. CAT6 is recommended.

I have cat 8, but most devices connect via wifi to the 2.4 ghz network

Has it been turned off for 1 minute then back on with ISP modem and router since last update?

Yes..

Be sure to reboot your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug the modem.
Turn off the router and computers.
Plug in and turn on the modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Power on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the computers and the rest of the network.

yes i did that

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Now do same thing with the router disconnected from the ISP modem or ONT. Observe CPU usage.

What is the Brand and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem or Fiber ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch..A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Try this with just one wired PC connected. When the setup wizard completes, check the CPU usage. Don't connect anything else just yet. Set a different SSID name to prevent wireless devices from connecting. 

Also there is newer version of FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/New-R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-84-Re...

Message 4 of 6
ChristianWis
Aspirant

ok.. i was able to solve the problem.

The problem was not the router, but a PC with ubuntu and 5 docker images including transmission soft...

all right!

Thanks for the help

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Its recommended to install a USB laptop cooler under the router for 24/4 cooling. Helps keep the router cool and helps avoid heat damage to the electronics.

Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7