Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 not getting gigabit speeds

hayden_250
Initiate

Nighthawk X6 R8000 not getting gigabit speeds

Hi so I recently got a nighthawk router because i was upgrading my internet to gigabit speeds and I wanted to get the best experience for it but i havent been able to get close to 1 gigabite speeds. When i check the internet speed on my modem 1.12 gigabites of internet is connecting to the modem but when i check the internet speed on the router (I am doing this through the nighthawk dashboard not speedtest.com so crappy hardware will not slow it down) I just get 400mps. I have hard resetted it multiple times, Bought a cat6 cable just incase it was the cable and I also read that downgrading the firmware could fix it so when i went to netgear support went to the right router downloaded a downgraded firmware it would not let me install it because it was not compatible so i figured netgear was not letting me downgrade it. I even turned off qos and traffic meter because i also read that in other forms. So i deceided to reach out myself for help because im just about to give up

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 63
Pro4TLZZ
Guide

turn qos and traffic meter off

Message 2 of 63
tiger32kw
Aspirant

I was having the same issue running the speed test on the router. It wouldn't go above that 400 range and I was very confused. However, when I run a speed test on my desktop computer which is wired to the router I was getting ~940mbits which is the limit for a single 1gbit ethernet port. So it looks like it is an issue with the speedtest on the router and not the speed you are getting. If you have a computer you can wire in give that a try!

Message 3 of 63
hayden_250
Initiate

But how come wifi im not even getting 300Mbps when im in the same room as my router? the box is advertised that i should be getting wifi speeds of 1Gb

Message 4 of 63
Spawn2031
Tutor

I am actually having the same issue but just with different numbers.  Same model router.  My internet speed at the modem is right about 400 but my wireless speed only gets up to between 180 and 220 at best.  I've let it do the smart connect, which did seem to help a little bit and also got a cat 6 cable between the modem and router.  I know a lot of you are probably going to think, well it's wifi.. he'd get the 400 if he was plugged right in... the device I use to test my speeds is my iPhone XR.  Before I swapped the router, I could regularly get 350-400.  Swap the router and now that same device can only get 220 max.  It appears something is throttling the speed here.  I am throughly shocked that a $250 router is underperforming like this.  I'm about to give up on it too... hopefully there's a solution for this.

Edit:  Should probably mention I have seen some wireless devices, like my PS4 which is sitting almost right next to it, drop the wireless connection all together for a second or 2.  long enough for the PS4 to report the loss in connection. 

Message 5 of 63
labatt
Mentor

Highly doubt you will see 1 gig on wifi. Wifi cannot provide the same speed as wired currently. 

Read this for everything you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask. 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 6 of 63
Spawn2031
Tutor

So I was just able to fix the issue on my router without having to do a firmware downgrade or anything like that.  Here's what I did to solve my issue...

1) Open a web browser and type in your router's IP (192.168.1.1 is default)

2) Enter your user name and p/w

3) Go to the Dynamic QoS tab

4) Uncheck "Enable Dynamic QoS"

5) Click the radio button below it that says "I want to define my internet bandwidth"

6) Enter in the proper numbers you should be getting and hit apply.

My internet speed immediately jumped to where it's supposed to be and is holding strong.  I had to do the web login to the router interface b/c I couldnt find these options in the Genie interface.  Hopes this helps! 

Message 7 of 63
labatt
Mentor

@Spawn2031 

Thanks for the update. Glad you got things working. Info like this could help others. 

Message 8 of 63
Lossitallet
Guide

@Pro4TLZZ wrote:

turn qos and traffic meter off

A short question about QoS settings...

i have it turned of but  now i noticed that there is a tab  called WMM with 3 more settings  for my wifi. Shall i uncheck those 3 boxes as well  or should  i  keep  the  WMM-settings enabled??

Sry for my bad english 🙂

Message 9 of 63
vitaminbp1
Initiate

I tried to set the speed manually, restarted the router, still getting max 200bps.

It's entirely sad that we can't get basic support past 90 days from Netgear.

After buying Netgear products for at least the last 15 years, time to find a company that supports it's product better.

I can get support from Asus on their motherboards years past the initial 1 year warranty, that will be my next router.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 63
RAL32
Initiate

I performed a factory reset and reinstalled my settings that I had backed up.  I then disabled Dynamic QOS has recommended in some of the prior post.   

NOTE:

Make sure you go the your internet  settings under "Internet IP Address"  and check "Use Static IP Address".   This worked for me - gigabit speeds kicked in after I applied the settings (doing this may work without going through the factory reset)

Message 11 of 63
jpdaman
Aspirant

Hate to bring this thread back to life, however, I keep trying to change the "Internet Bandwidth" section under Dynamic QoS to allow me to define my internet bandwidth but it won't let me. It keeps going back to "Let Speedtest detect my internet bandwidth". I've tried to change it 5 times and I've hit apply, but it won't change. It loads with the loading bar as if it's changing, but it doesn't. I rebooted my router but still no change. Am I missing a step? Dynamic QoS and Traffic Meter are off.

Message 12 of 63
Kobutah451
Tutor

I have tried all of the tricks and not able to get beyond 440Mbps after having issues getting above 250Mbps.

Last thing to try is to reset and manually reconfigure my wifi settings.

Will update once done, but would like to keep this one open and people feeding information into it.

Notes:  I have 1Gbps down/20Mbps upload internet running from a base modem.

I get 950Mbps+ when connected directly to the modem.  I changed all cables to my router and removed my Gigabit switch as a test, also.  I even tried a different Gigabit switch. 

Only consistancy is the router.

Message 13 of 63
Kobutah451
Tutor

I ended up having to do a complete reset and reconfig of my router to start getting the right speeds through my ISP.

I verified through fast.com, speedtest.net, and my ISPs speed test sight.  All giving me aroung 950Mbps.

Message 14 of 63
duggar
Aspirant

I am having thre same problem but tried all things suggested above. but no success Can you elaborate on what wifi setting you manually configured so I can learn too. 

Message 15 of 63
Kobutah451
Tutor

This issue went away after doing the most recent firmware upgrade through the automatic upgrade process.

I had called support and they were about to have me to a same version "update" of the firmware to see if there was a corruption of the current firmware.  We didn't because I had done the temp fix and wasn't able to do it when I was on the phone with them.

Message 16 of 63
Jehlert
Aspirant

Just increased to gigabit wifi and the speed is verified at the modem but speed tests on everything show around 150Mbps.  The router speed test shows 300-400Mbps turned of Qos seting also did a reset of the modem to factory.  New firmware and the trafic meter is off.  I have a cat 6 cable connected and everything is new in the past year.  Netgear support wanted $90 to talk to me and was going to do a hard reset but everything else they said to do I had already tried.  The internet is charter spectrum.  Have done everything I can think of but am getting nowhere near speed I should be.  I have verifid link speed wireless and the speed tests over wifi arent even 1/3 that number.  My network has trafic so after the factory reset I left the default Network name so NOTHING was connected and tried again and still saw around 100Mbps wireless on 1 device capable of 242Mbps and 345Mbps at the router via speed test in router settings.  The bottleneck seems to be between modem and router.  I could use some help.  I realize the wifi trafic slows things down but when I had 200Mbps service I could get 200Mbps at the router now with 940 I only get 345.  I already did everything on every thread I found but am unsure how to roll back firmware.  My next plan is to take the free router from charter and see if it helps.

Message 17 of 63
rinthos
Luminary

@Jehlert wrote:

Just increased to gigabit wifi and the speed is verified at the modem but speed tests on everything show around 150Mbps.  The router speed test shows 300-400Mbps turned of Qos seting also did a reset of the modem to factory.  New firmware and the trafic meter is off.  I have a cat 6 cable connected and everything is new in the past year.  Netgear support wanted $90 to talk to me and was going to do a hard reset but everything else they said to do I had already tried.  The internet is charter spectrum.  Have done everything I can think of but am getting nowhere near speed I should be.  I have verifid link speed wireless and the speed tests over wifi arent even 1/3 that number.  My network has trafic so after the factory reset I left the default Network name so NOTHING was connected and tried again and still saw around 100Mbps wireless on 1 device capable of 242Mbps and 345Mbps at the router via speed test in router settings.  The bottleneck seems to be between modem and router.  I could use some help.  I realize the wifi trafic slows things down but when I had 200Mbps service I could get 200Mbps at the router now with 940 I only get 345.  I already did everything on every thread I found but am unsure how to roll back firmware.  My next plan is to take the free router from charter and see if it helps.

To roll back firmware, the closest you can do is download the older firmware version(s) and then just use the web portal to 'upgrade' to them..

For the R8000

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r8000.aspx#download

Then on the right below the "ReadyShare Vault" link is a "+ previous versions" section. Click on that to find old firmware versions.

Message 18 of 63
vitaminbp1
Initiate

Honestly I gave up on Netgear.  Since they want to charge you for even basic support it's not worth it.

I went to the Asus gaming router, ac5300, the controls are better and I know I'm getting the full gigabit service I'm paying for.

I also know that Asus supports their products without limitation to how old they are, so I can trust I have their support.

Netgear has lost their sense of taking care of the customer.

Message 19 of 63
FvMcGee
Initiate

I have the R8300, just upgraded to Spectrum Gig (realy 980 down, 35 up). I had to "define my internet bandwidth" as well as use "static ip" address. The router speedtest never goes above 600MB/s. My computers on the network running speed test via ethernet cable are getting the full speed. Netgear's speed test in the router is busted. Don't trust it.

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 20 of 63
Nhebert
Aspirant

It worked !  I had to say yes to QOS before it would take the speed I knew I was getting (400 down and 40 up using the 5GHZ radio)

Then once the numbers stuck, I turned off QOS and holy smoke did one run at 428 mbps wireless although 20 feet from the router, I had been stuck at 200 for awhile. Strange things happening.

Message 21 of 63
jvanco
Tutor

I was having this same problem.  I tried turning off QoS, I turned off Traffic Meter, tried to manually define my bandwidth, and changed to a static IP address.  The best I could get from my wired gig internet connecting was about 380 MB.  I did a factory reset on the router, and after setting it up I successfully had 950 MB speed.  After about an hour though, it reverted back to 380MB.  It may have been after I had to power cycle the router when troubleshooting the connection to a Harmony Hub.  This should not be this difficult!

Message 22 of 63
Fillip66
Initiate

I upgraded to 1Gig Xfinity from 200Mb. I could get over 350MB speed. I called Netgear and they refused to provide support unless I payed over $50 for a contract, WTF! I purchased the 4 year warrantyat Best Buy when I bought it so I got a refund adn purchased the

Asus AC5300 have not had a problen since, the support is better, the range is much better and it works!

P.S. The firmware upgrade for the Netgear R8000P does not work!

Message 23 of 63
jvanco
Tutor

Yep! Due to none of the posted fixes working for me, and not wanting to pay for support, I ended up purchasing an Asus router as well. I purchased the AX5700. Setup couldn't have been easier, and I'm getting my full Gig speeds. Congrats on being able to return it! I had mine for about a year and a half, with no extended warranty so I was out of luck. I'm not sure I will purchase another Netgear product going forward.
Message 24 of 63
FvMcGee
Initiate

I gave up on netgear. I bought several of their routers and will buy no more. I bought the eero mesh and have been using it for couple months without issue. I still have the nighthawk but only for a subnetwork until it goes bad.
Message 25 of 63
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7