Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 not getting gigabit speeds

Daggz
Tutor

@FURRYe38 Reverting to older FW versions isn't a valid solution as important security updates aren't present and thus you are allowing vulnerabilities, I would definitely NOT recommend this to anyone. 

Last FW update had a banner claiming the update contained CRITICAL security updates which is what I base my statement on. 

Sure, it's a working workaround, but it reduces the security of the device which I wouldn't recommend. 

Message 51 of 63
PEP420
Aspirant

OK I tried the old version with the same results. If I manually enter 1000 down and 100 up stream it stays for awhile. Nexy day I have to re-enter those parameters. Going back to the latest firmware like others have stated better security and no difference in holding my inputed specs. There has to be a reason Netgear isn't doing anything about this. I can't be the only one this is happening to.

Message 52 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

Reverting back to older version is only temp solution until NG gets this fixed. 

I just got a new R8000 in house and it came loaded with v62. I ran for days at to spec speeds on a 1Gb/50Mbs ISP service and saw over 900Mpbs on my wired PC. No Armor, Access Controls or Circle enabled. Just putting out there that this version seem to work well for me. it may help others. 

Security is important however over all security issues that maybe seen are neglegable and are only seen IF and when someone or somethign nefarious is actually trying to do something nefarious. Not every day someone is trying to hack in your personal router.

I had not seen ANY issues with v62 loaded. Yes, security is important and users should run whats most current, however for these FW problems, reverting to some that works can be used. Up to users though. 

User need to contact NG support and let them know what there seeing, if this is a FW issue, then NG needs to address it and fix it as we can't do anything about it here in the forums beyond troubleshooting:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Good Luck. 

@Daggz wrote:

@FURRYe38 Reverting to older FW versions isn't a valid solution as important security updates aren't present and thus you are allowing vulnerabilities, I would definitely NOT recommend this to anyone. 

Last FW update had a banner claiming the update contained CRITICAL security updates which is what I base my statement on. 

Sure, it's a working workaround, but it reduces the security of the device which I wouldn't recommend. 

Message 53 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

When you downgraded to v62, you would need to not configure QoS at all. I didn't configure QoS or enable it on mine. I left it alone. Also Armor, Circle were NOT enabled either.

I saw at leaset 3 days of good speeds with v62 loaded:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-X6-R8000-not-getting-gigabit-speed...

I've turned OFF traffic meter since I saw a slow down with v76 FW loaded and will check to day to see if anything slows down again on the WAN to LAN speed side. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@PEP420 wrote:

OK I tried the old version with the same results. If I manually enter 1000 down and 100 up stream it stays for awhile. Nexy day I have to re-enter those parameters. Going back to the latest firmware like others have stated better security and no difference in holding my inputed specs. There has to be a reason Netgear isn't doing anything about this. I can't be the only one this is happening to.

Message 54 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so after disabling Traffic Meter the yesterday, over 900Mpbs is still holding good: v76

v76Day2Debug.png

v76Day2WIredSpeedTestResultsToSpecNoTrafficMeterEnabled.png

Will let this configuration run this week and monitor speeds each day. 

Message 55 of 63
PEP420
Aspirant

Spectrum DOCSIS 3.1 Modem / Voice Equipment 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ-45 port. From the cable box directly into the Nighthawk.X6 R8000
I'm paying for 400mbps downstream  and 20 upstream. When I test this overnight I get 249 or lower after I manually enter 1000/100 I get 381 to 403.

Is there a place to check that the Netgear nighthawk is actually holding the setting when I manually input them?

Message 56 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

There a model # on the ISP modem? 

What CAT# LAN cable is connecting the ISP Modem and NG router? CAT6 is recommended. 

Has a power OFF of the Modem and NG router for 1 minute or longer then back ON been performed? 

I haven't enabled QoS on mine and have left it QOS, Armor, Circle and Traffic Meter and IPv6 disabled since my ISP doesn't support IPv6. 

Speeds are good currently. Im monitoring this week to see if the router drops WAN to LAN speeds.

I do notice a slow down when WiFi Smart Connect is enabled however thats all the time so I disable SC. I always test with a wired PC connected to the router. 

You might enable debug logging on the NG router: http://192.168.0.1/debug.htm

You might enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture

I would factory reset and setup from scratch. Do not enable Armor, Access Controls, Circle or Traffic Meter then start debug logging. Take a speed test, capture logs, Then re-start logging and when you see the speed drop again, capture logs. 

@PEP420 wrote:

Spectrum DOCSIS 3.1 Modem / Voice Equipment 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ-45 port. From the cable box directly into the Nighthawk.X6 R8000
I'm paying for 400mbps downstream  and 20 upstream. When I test this overnight I get 249 or lower after I manually enter 1000/100 I get 381 to 403.

Is there a place to check that the Netgear nighthawk is actually holding the setting when I manually input them?

Message 57 of 63
PEP420
Aspirant

This has nothing to do with Specrrum or their modem. If I take the Nighthawk out of line and plugin directly in to my PC I get 400 constantly. The isue is with with Netgers equipment. Same can be said if I plug the Spectrum into my 16 port Cisco router and then into my PC  I get up to 400 all the time. Not sure why the Netgear is throttling of giving me less bandwidth.  

Message 58 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

Day 3 of good WAN to LAN speeds:

v76Day3Debug.png

v76Day3WIredSpeedTestResultsToSpecNoTrafficMeterEnabled.png

Message 59 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

Day 4 of good WAN to LAN speeds:

v76Day4Debug.png

v76Day4WIredSpeedTestResultsToSpecNoTrafficMeterEnabled.png

Message 60 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

Day 6 and still getting good speeds:

v76Day6Debug.png

v76Day6WIredSpeedTestResultsToSpecNoTrafficMeterEnabled.png

This will be my last speed test. 

Seems the v.76 FW suffers from the DNS issues seen by others. Though is not a show stopper, it's present on this version of FW. I've reverted back to v.62 as this version seems to work best for DNS for the R8000. This has been passed on to NG. 

Good Luck.

Message 61 of 63
bkastel
Guide

I hope I can help someone with an R8000 not getting 1Gb ethernet speed.

First of all any Firmware version greater than V1.0.4.68_10.1.75 is junk and has serious DNS issues which will cause you to have to reload web pages very often.  Get V1.0.4.68_10.1.75 and never go forward.  Disable auto updating of the firmware. I know because I've fought with this for nearly 2 years.

. I got 1Gb Google Fiber installed this morning which will replace my Comcast connection.  I was getting 320Mb down and 12Mb up speeds.  When the GF tech came he installed a wifi router and a mesh wifi mesh repeater.  He showed me on the google app an up and down speed of 900+ which is Gb speed.  Cool I thought.  GF said they would provide a router and repeater but it really isn't so.  Its a wifi router only.  I have a heavily wired network with reserved addresses, NAS, wired network printer, port forwarding, etc.  Be warned that all you get with GF is a wifi network.  The tech said I just need to take their ethernet cable from their "router" (remember pretty much wifi only) and plug it into my R8000 input where the current Comcast modem is.  Sounds just like it should.  When I did that my speed was only 98Mb up and down.  I replaced the stupid flat ethernet cable that came with the GF router to a Cat6 I made.  Now the speed went to about 360Mb down and up. I can't belive they don't even supply a Cat5e cable.

Now 320Mb is not 1Gb.  I rebooted turned off QoS and Traffic Monitoring as suggested but no change.  I wish I could find the reference but found a comment that if the R8000 has any of those 2 settings checked it sets off a switch where it uses the R8000's CPU to process data instead of passing it through untouched. 

Here is my fix.  First go in and disable QoS and Traffic monitoring.  I unchecked the 3 WMM settings also.  With GF 1Gb speed and unlimited data you don't need these anyway.  You'll have to do these individually and "accept" them on the setting page.  After the 2 reboots, go in and backup the configuration settings to a .cfg file.  That file will be in your download directory.  Now go hold the reset button with a pin on the R8000 for 7-10 seconds and release.  It will factory reset the modem and reset that traffic pass-though switch setting.  After fighting with register/buy this/ignoring auto-update/logging in with default password/etc., go in and restore the settings from the .cfg file you saved previously.  Wa-la!  981Gb up and down.

I hope this helps someone.

Message 62 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

Also found that Circle can slow things down as well. 

WMM is recommended to be enabled as this supports faster speeds between the router and wifi devices only. 

I found that if Armor, Circle or Traffic Meter had been enabled at any point in any version of FW. A factory reset is needed and setup from scratch and don't enabled these 3. 

Also to help with DNS issue, IPv6 should be enabled on the router in newer versions of FW. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-84-Released...

Message 63 of 63
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7