Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 r8000 slow wired connections

Bigler78
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 r8000 slow wired connections

I upgraded my internet from 100 Mbps to 500 Mbps today and have been able to consistently get wifi speeds over 500 Mbps. My wired devices all get less than 200 Mbps. I replaced all my cables with cat 6 as well thinking that would be the problem but got the same result. Checked the router settings and have QoS off, Access Control off, Parental Controls off and Traffic Monitoring off. Really don't want to factory reset and set up all my devices again. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 r8000 slow wired connections

The xbox is a little harder (since you figured out the roku). 

I've seen numerous posts on here about xbox's not hitting full speed when ran through a router but will when ran directly through the modem. Not sure if its how microsoft has their backend setup as even with the xbox entered into the routers DMZ (automatically forwards all data in basic terms), you still get the lower speeds. But 200mbps should still do everything you need. Streaming 4k only takes 25-40mbps and gaming itself doesn't use much data. It just slows you down a little for downloading games but even that isn't much as its still 200mbps. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

I am not advising a firmware default reset at this time.

After changes like you described, a complete power down of your network is in order. The sequence, configuration, and timing of the restart is critical for success.

Power down (pull the power cord) on your modem. Disconnect the coax and the Ethernet cable to the router. Let these items sit while you tend to the router

If you have any USB items connected to the router, dismount and disconnect them. Power down and remove the power cord.

Back to the modem, connect the coax only and the power cord. Give the modem ample time to boot and connect to your ISP. Connect the Ethernet cable to the router and give it ample time to boo.

Connect a computer via Ethernet cable. Install the native OS application from Ookla and test your connection capacity.
Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

If @Kitsap advise doesn't work, then I'd try the factory reset. The qos/access control/traffic monitoring/parental controls features might be disabled but if they were ever enabled, I've seen them not turn CTF back on when they got disabled. In those cases, I usually just start with a factory reset. 

Message 3 of 9
Bigler78
Aspirant

I tried that with no success so went with a factory reset. That worked and I'm now able to get 500+ down wired on my laptop. Any thoughts as to why a hard wired Xbox series x can only pull around 200 down and a Roku Ultra hard wired can only pull 92 down?
Message 4 of 9
Bigler78
Aspirant

That worked and I'm now able to get 500+ down wired on my laptop. Any thoughts as to why a hard wired Xbox series x can only pull around 200 down and a Roku Ultra hard wired can only pull 92 down?
Message 5 of 9
Kitsap
Master

Good to hear you now have the proper download capacity to your laptop computer.

Let the router run for a few hours, do a power cord removal boot.  Then check your Xbox and Roku.

Beyond that the usual trouble shooting steps including cables.  Not familiar with Xbox, but there may be updated firmware for your Roku.

Message 6 of 9
Bigler78
Aspirant

Thanks I'll give that a try. I did a little Google searching and it looks like the Roku Ultra I have caps ethernet port at 100Mbps so that explains that one. The Xbox Series X claims its port is gig.
Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

The xbox is a little harder (since you figured out the roku). 

I've seen numerous posts on here about xbox's not hitting full speed when ran through a router but will when ran directly through the modem. Not sure if its how microsoft has their backend setup as even with the xbox entered into the routers DMZ (automatically forwards all data in basic terms), you still get the lower speeds. But 200mbps should still do everything you need. Streaming 4k only takes 25-40mbps and gaming itself doesn't use much data. It just slows you down a little for downloading games but even that isn't much as its still 200mbps. 

Message 8 of 9
Bigler78
Aspirant

I agree - thank you for your time and thoughts. Much appreciated!
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7