Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri-Band, Model: R8000P - Forced to alternate between two 5GHz bands, Why?

Freedom54
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri-Band, Model: R8000P - Forced to alternate between two 5GHz bands, Why?

Why am I restricted to a specific 5GHz band (upper or lower) for certain newer technology releases?

R8000P Firmware is current: V1.4.1.30_1.2.26

For example, on my Intel(R) Wireless-AC9560 160MHz NIC on my new Gigabyte Z390 Designare Rev. 1.0, running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, I must use the higher 5-GHz2 band and cannot connect to the lower 5-GHz1 band. It shows as available and allows me to connect, but it is like oil and water with my Intel WiFi NIC. All current drivers, etc. Separate SSID with no linking in the router. Assigned dedicated IP address to ensure no DHCP confusion.

On the otherhand, my new Roku Ultra streaming device, which supports 802.11ac MIMO dual-band wireless is the exact opposite. It will only function on the lower 5GHz-1 band and will not work on the 5GHz-2 band. When I say won't function, I mean that I keep receiving low bandwith warnings while trying to stream a show. I have a fiberoptic gigabit connection with full duplex (i.e., 1,000Mbps up and down).

Is this just something that is the result of different technologies/protocols or could it be a setting in the router or a firmware issue?

Note: All other phones, computers, tablets, etc. that connect to the router can use either 5GHz band. It is only the two identified devices above that are restricted to either one or the other 5GHz band.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Freedom54
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri-Band, Model: R8000P - Forced to alternate between two 5GHz bands, Why?

Plemans,

Thanks for the quick response.

You've confirmed an answer that I just received from another source. Apparently, the NIC manufacturer may have specific specifications for their respective components that restricts the frequency it operates best at. They did recommend that I disable the "Enable Smart Connect" on the Netgear router. However, I informed them that it is was not checked. Thus, this was not a contributing factor to the problem.

Also, I noticed that my channel selection range is much higher on the 5GH-2 band than the 5GH-1 band, which is probably also mixed in with the MHz range. As for your recommendation, I would have to switch to the 2.4GHz range in order to get the 20/40 selection. And your right, I would take a hit on the speed. At that point, I would rather connect with an Ethernet RJ45 connector.

Thanks once again for taking the time to help me. Your information is a clear validation that I am glad the R8000P has the two different 5GHz bandwidth levels; otherwise, I would be forced to use Ethernet.

Best regards

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I know I've had problems with Roku ultra having issues with wideband (80hz or greater) that were fixed by selecting the 20/40hz options. Have you tried this? I know its not an optimal solution but its something Roku related and not necessarily Netgear. 

Message 2 of 4
Freedom54
Aspirant

Plemans,

Thanks for the quick response.

You've confirmed an answer that I just received from another source. Apparently, the NIC manufacturer may have specific specifications for their respective components that restricts the frequency it operates best at. They did recommend that I disable the "Enable Smart Connect" on the Netgear router. However, I informed them that it is was not checked. Thus, this was not a contributing factor to the problem.

Also, I noticed that my channel selection range is much higher on the 5GH-2 band than the 5GH-1 band, which is probably also mixed in with the MHz range. As for your recommendation, I would have to switch to the 2.4GHz range in order to get the 20/40 selection. And your right, I would take a hit on the speed. At that point, I would rather connect with an Ethernet RJ45 connector.

Thanks once again for taking the time to help me. Your information is a clear validation that I am glad the R8000P has the two different 5GHz bandwidth levels; otherwise, I would be forced to use Ethernet.

Best regards

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I don't have a x6s AC4000 so I'm only talking from past exerience on routers. changing the channel width should be by setting the "speed" on the wifi. the x6s is usually:

from the BASIC Home page displays.
 Select Wireless. The Wireless Settings page displays.
 For the 2.4 GHz WiFi band, in the Wireless Network (2.4 GHz b/g/n) section, select a setting from the Mode menu. Up to 750 Mbps is the default setting.The other settings are Up to 360 Mbps and Up to 54 Mbps.
 For the 5 GHz WiFi band, select a setting from the Mode menu. Up to 1625 Mbps is the default setting, which allows 802.11ac, 11n, and 11ad WiFi devices to join the network.The other settings are Up to 750 Mbps and Up to 360 Mbps.
 Click the Apply button. Your settings are saved.

Try setting one of the 5ghz channels to a lower level and see if the Roku/laptop works. Setting speed down is what worked for my Roku. Again, I don't have a x6s but its worth trying. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7