Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk x6R8000 Internet Port Dead?

JDFly
Aspirant

Nighthawk x6R8000 Internet Port Dead?

Netgear Nighthawk Support

Hello all,
New to the group but have been doing a lot of reading. Thanks to all supporting!
My XR8 router just died after 2+ years of service. Wondering if it is toast or May be software glitch or a workaround I can perform.
Using a small ISP in rural Ontario Canada, 25MB/4
Arris TM822A Modem
Combo of downstream extenders to reach an out building all from NG:
X6AC2200 extender feeds
Powerline 1200PLPS ->
Powerline 1200PLPS ->
X4AC2200 -> Garage LAN
Seems like overkill, but only way I could get signal to the Powerline and link to Garage due to separate breaker panels.

Everything was working, though underpowered, until ~2weeks ago when devices started having issues connecting to 2.4GhZ channel. Would drop out, ask for password, deem correct passwords invalid and require a device or modem power cycle.
Then, WAN access totally dropped out. Doesn’t register an Ethernet cable being attached, in statistics, there is no uptime, UL, DL, etc and ‘Internet’ light on router is OFF
Using dynamic IP with router acting as DHCP provider.
Internet Port Info as follows in Advanced Web interface:
MAC: 3C:37:86:B4:26:26
IP: 0.0.0.0
Connection: DHCP
IP Subnet: 0.0.0.0
Domain Name Server: 0.0.0.0

I’ve done full resets, changed (spoofed)MAC Address to one from old router which can get WAN/modem access.
In Advanced Internet Setup:
Do not require login to ISP
Get Dynamic IP from ISP - doesn’t retrieve? IP, Subnet, Gateway are all 0000s
DNS - Auto from ISP (again 000’s)
Router MAC - Default

I’ve tried to turn off all advanced options- QoS, Security, Guest etc

Might be TMI, or missing something crucial… if you have any insights, suggestions, or magical incantations, I’m willing to try anything.

If it is time to lay it to rest, any suggestions for replacement? With low speeds, large coverage area, I’ve been looking at:
Orbi Dual band RBK12/13 3pc
Eero 6 AX1800 3pc

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and making all the way to the end of this! I will check back for answers and to reply to any ? That may be pertinent.
Cheers
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk x6R8000 Internet Port Dead?

Power OFF the ISP modem and router. Disconnect the router from the ISP modem and connect 1 wired PC to the modem and power ON the modem. Do you get internet services thru the modem to the PC? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Message 2 of 10
JDFly
Aspirant

Thanks Furry.
The modem is live and has internet from ISP. I can access internet direct through modem and I have tried a dozen CAT5 cables and made new T-568A, T568B and a crossover cable using CAT5 and RJ45 connectors.
Router is running V1.0.4.84_10.1.84
I picked up an Orbi 1.2GB router and satellite beacon just to get live again and it functions with no issues.
Just using router ATM. Keeping receipt for possible return if I can get R8000 live or there is a better solution.
House is ~3500sqFt,
Garage, wood, brick, concrete and vinyl siding is 250’ away and we try to feed signal to the lake -75’ directly opposite garage.
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. I presume the R8000 has a bad port. Probably a hardware fail. 

Message 4 of 10
JDFly
Aspirant

Bad port is what I was thinking but not wanting.
If it is the Port which is dead, any viable, Out of Warranty work arounds, repairs, favours from deities that can bring it back to life?
Replace Port?
Reroute LAN Port to act in place of Dead WAN PORT?
Any suggestions for replacement?
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Quick idea, Might try to see if there is a Mirror WAN to LAN port 1 under the routers IPaddress/debug.htm. Possible if this feature is there, possible LAN port 1 could work as WAN port...

Message 6 of 10
JDFly
Aspirant

There is a Mirror WAN to LAN1 radio button option directly in IP/debug.htm in web browser.
However, there is no save function on the page.
This button does not appear to be available in the Nighthawk app or when accessing router settings through browser. Trying to attach screen shot…
Thanks again
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Only a check mark is needed then it should be enabled I believe. Connect the modem to port #1 and see I guess. 

I've not tried this myself. Not sure if this feature survives thru a reboot. Hope it would.

Message 8 of 10
JDFly
Aspirant

The Check mark survives a reboot.
When I go back to IP.debug.htm it is there. I’m not sure if this is to allow Ethernet Port 1 to act as Internet Port OR
Internet Port acting as Ethernet
I can’t get the modem line to feed the router through Port 1 though. Tried couple of cables, sequenced power cycles, and no success.
Have to leave it for now though. Mid you have any other ideas, let me know. If not going to assume it’s the port, let it run on my Orbi for now.
Any input on best solution for the layout I mentioned? 3200-3500sqft, garage, 250ft away, lake 75 in other direction. Noting I am only able to push 25MB right now.
Thanks again!
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Was hoping. Sounds like the Entire WAN section is dead then if enabling the Mirror to LAN1 isn't working and you power cycled he modem and router. Sounds like this router is a goner. 😑

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7