Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Outbound Mail Blocked

HappyJack
Tutor

Outbound Mail Blocked

R8000 Nighthawk

Firmware Version: V1.0.3.48_1.1.33 or 1.0.3.54_1.1.37 (went back a version to see if the latter broke anything)

I receive emails all day long but cannot send email through the router.  I've bypassed the router by connecting PC directly to modem and no problems.  I've even used another older router and don't have any issues.  PC is using Outlook 2010 with several email addresses, both POP3 and IMAP.  Even wife's Iphone can't send emails.  Depending on device, we get various messages:

Iphone gives a Relaying Error while PC gets SPAM Error:

IMAP Account gets: "Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Spam detected by content scanner.  Message rejected."

POP3 Account gets: "550 5.7.1 Spam detected by content scanner.  Message rejected."

Checked with ISP and I'm not blacklisted.  ISP Tech support keeps asking me to mess with Outlook settings.  But since I can send without R8000 in the mix, I'm hesitant to fool around with them.  Though I have them memorized by now.

Network is set up for home use only and not running any servers.

Router is configured to not block any sites or services.  Port Triggering & Forwarding enabled on 587.

Any suggestions?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
HappyJack
Tutor

So here's the short version:  Port 25 is blocked by some ISPs as a matter of fact due to the amount of spam traffic that can be generated on that port.  My ISP is one of them and only accepts outgoing email eminating from port 587.  I enabled port triggering and port forwarding incase it was being blocked by the router for some unkown reason.

Tonight I found the solution though with the help of a very knowlegable tech support agent from my ISP.  My ISP leases IP addresses on a month by month basis.  The IP address is assigned by MAC address.  The IP address that I was assigned this month was in fact Black Listed.  (Don't Trust Tech Support, go find out for yourself)  No matter how many times I reset the cable modem or the  router the factory defaults, I would be assigned the same Black Listed IP address.  Under the Advanced tab of the Netgear Genie, under Setup, under Internet, you can change the MAC address of the router.  The Default MAC address and "Use This MAC Address" are the same until you select "Use Computer MAC Address".  Then "Use This MAC Address" is filled in with the address of the device you're using to manage the router.  Changing the MAC address, got me a new IP that wasn't Black Listed.  The fact that I used an older router with a different MAC address got me a different IP address.  But when I hooked the Nighthawk back up I got the same Blacklisted IP.  Different MAC addy and now mail works fine in both directions.

I'm posting this solution as a courtesy because I spent a good 4 hours sifting through posts in this forum that were not pertinent or never had a solution.  My favorites are posted questions that have been locked down due to inactivity and not one troll out there bothered to offer a suggestion, snarky or otherwise.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> Network is set up for home use only and not running any servers.
>
> Router is configured to not block any sites or services.  Port
> Triggering & Forwarding enabled on 587.

If you're not running any servers, then why are you doing any port
forwarding or triggering?  And what, exactly, _are_ you doing with your
"Port Triggering & Forwarding enabled on 587"?  As usual, showing actual
commands to or reports from the device can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

I'm a port-25 kind of guy, so I know nothing about port 587 except
the a Web search suggests that it's associated with sending e-mail.  My
first guess is that whatever you did with port 587 is what's stopping
your e-mail.

> [...] I've even used another older router and don't have any
> issues.

And did you fiddle around with forwarding of port 587 on that router,
too?

Message 2 of 3
HappyJack
Tutor

So here's the short version:  Port 25 is blocked by some ISPs as a matter of fact due to the amount of spam traffic that can be generated on that port.  My ISP is one of them and only accepts outgoing email eminating from port 587.  I enabled port triggering and port forwarding incase it was being blocked by the router for some unkown reason.

Tonight I found the solution though with the help of a very knowlegable tech support agent from my ISP.  My ISP leases IP addresses on a month by month basis.  The IP address is assigned by MAC address.  The IP address that I was assigned this month was in fact Black Listed.  (Don't Trust Tech Support, go find out for yourself)  No matter how many times I reset the cable modem or the  router the factory defaults, I would be assigned the same Black Listed IP address.  Under the Advanced tab of the Netgear Genie, under Setup, under Internet, you can change the MAC address of the router.  The Default MAC address and "Use This MAC Address" are the same until you select "Use Computer MAC Address".  Then "Use This MAC Address" is filled in with the address of the device you're using to manage the router.  Changing the MAC address, got me a new IP that wasn't Black Listed.  The fact that I used an older router with a different MAC address got me a different IP address.  But when I hooked the Nighthawk back up I got the same Blacklisted IP.  Different MAC addy and now mail works fine in both directions.

I'm posting this solution as a courtesy because I spent a good 4 hours sifting through posts in this forum that were not pertinent or never had a solution.  My favorites are posted questions that have been locked down due to inactivity and not one troll out there bothered to offer a suggestion, snarky or otherwise.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7