Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ping spikes due to router - AC1750

SpaceCat
Aspirant

Ping spikes due to router - AC1750

Not much to say other than that the router has had ping issues in at least 4 different games (Rust, TF2, CSGO, Minecraft). The same issues occur with testing on an older laptop of mine. I feel like i've tried so many potential fixes at this point but nothing has worked. Before you ask it is not the modem as I just replaced it with a new one today from Spectrum. Ethernet on the router works but that isn't doable due to it's position in my home.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Try running version 1.0.3.66 of the firmware. Factory reset after the firmware change and manually re-install the router.

so your common theme is the router, the modem, and the pc you're on. I wouldn't count the one running the n300 card. 

You've determined its not the modem because you don't have the ping spikes when hardwired in. 

So its either the router or the pc you're on, correct?

try the other firmware.

And potentially try troubleshooting the pc for ping issues. Google "windows 10 ping spikes".  

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

So you don't get ping spikes hardwired in? 

What wireless adapter is in the laptop?

Have you tried a different wireless adapter/usb device in the laptop? 

Any other devices having issues? 

Message 2 of 15
SpaceCat
Aspirant

No I don't appear to get the ping issues when hardwired.

The laptop has a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n

No I haven't because the laptop was how I figured out the issue is with the WiFi for certain. I originally had problems on my desktop and then switched out the PCIe card for a new one and still had the same issue.

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

A couple things you can try.

1. upgrade the wireless card. the AR9485 is an older N300 2.4ghz card. Which 2.4ghz is more suseptible to interference and therefor ping spikes. 5ghz has much higher throughput and less interference. 

2. optimize the wireless channels. If there's interference on the wireless band you're on, you'll get spikes. you can do a channel scanner to try and get the router on the least congested wifi channel.

3. check the driver updates. Older wifi drives can cause issues. 

4. try and get the gaming/streaming devices on 5ghz.

5. hardwired in the gaming devices. I know its not ideal but you can use ethernet, powerline, or even moca adapters. If you're that much of a gamer, hardwiring in your devices is recommended so you have better speeds, lower latency, and less interference. 

Message 4 of 15
SpaceCat
Aspirant

Again the laptop is basically useless and was just being used for testing purposes. I am using a desktop for everything with a new PCIe card.

I already used WiFi analyzer to identify congestion and there is none since only the router outputs that 5ghz signal or anything near it really.

Nobody is close enough to my equipment (about 1 acre of land on each side before any neighbors)

No driver updates that I can find

The current desktop is running a 2.4/5ghz PCIe wifi card (TP-Link Archer TX3000E) and I pretty much exclusivly use the 5ghz band due to increased rates. The issue is present on both bands on any channel from what I have found.

I have no way of easily installing an ethernet cable to the desktop due to the location. Ontop of that I am not the only one who uses the internet in this home (family of 4 but only 3 including me use it really)

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

the TX3000E is based on the intel ax200. I would check the intel driver to see which version you're on.
Message 6 of 15
plemans
Guru

which wifi channel are you using?
Message 7 of 15
SpaceCat
Aspirant

Scanned and found a new update even though I just installed this card last week and had to virtually instal the drivers from the website. Driver version is now 21.80.2.1. Issue is still present.

Message 8 of 15
SpaceCat
Aspirant

Channel 11 for the 2.4ghz. Mode: Up to 450 Mbps at 100% transmit

Channel 161 for the 5ghz. Mode: Up to 1300 Mbps at 100% transmit.

I have tried changing channels before and it didn't seem to help.

Message 9 of 15
plemans
Guru

Have you googled AX200 ping spikes? There's a bunch of results from this specific card. with fixes ranging from changing the driver settings to changing windows settings. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/fc313a/ax200_random_ping_spikes_fix/

Message 10 of 15
SpaceCat
Aspirant

I can test some things but it doesn't explain why my previous card and the laptop card have the same issue. If I can somehow fix it on this desktop fine it just doesn't make much sense.

Message 11 of 15
plemans
Guru

which firmware version is on the R6700.
and comparing ping spikes on an old N300 wireless care with a AX200 card isn't quite the same. Especially when the old one is on 2.4ghz. 2.4ghz was known for ping spikes, lower speeds, and interference.
Message 12 of 15
SpaceCat
Aspirant

Firmware version is V1.0.4.84_10.0.58

I wasn't only comparing the ping spiking with the laptop card. I said before that I also replaced my PCIe card which is on my desktop with that TX3000E one. The previous one was an N900 and supported 2.4/5ghz.

Again to lay it out here I have the same issues on -

1. N900 PCIe card (replaced with TX3000E)

2. TX3000E PCIe card

3. Laptop N300

This was my reasoning that it was something to do with the router and not just one PCIe

Message 13 of 15
plemans
Guru

Try running version 1.0.3.66 of the firmware. Factory reset after the firmware change and manually re-install the router.

so your common theme is the router, the modem, and the pc you're on. I wouldn't count the one running the n300 card. 

You've determined its not the modem because you don't have the ping spikes when hardwired in. 

So its either the router or the pc you're on, correct?

try the other firmware.

And potentially try troubleshooting the pc for ping issues. Google "windows 10 ping spikes".  

Message 14 of 15
SpaceCat
Aspirant

I don't think going back a bit on the firmware solved the issue but I factory reset the router and it seems the issue is gone. I'll report back here if it starts going screwy again.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7